Kreis Out? Per Shep, It's Being Discussed Internally.

If it's the same inside NYCFC guy who leaked info to Ian Joy that Pirlo wasn't coming to New York, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Um, and btw, why would a guy from NYCFC (management or not) who wants to leak a story go to a Red Bull/Cardboard Cosmos toad like Shep Messing?

IF there is a guy looking to leak info wouldn't he go to someone like Brian Lewis, Stefan Bondy, Mark Cannizzaro or anyone else who has covered the team and not a guy who is an employee of another organization and has no connection to NYCFC?

JHC, the only guy in this town who doesn't have a bigger agenda against NYCFC than Messing is that schmuck Jack Bell.

Last edited:
Bruce Arena would never come here simply because if you think Kreis is smug, then Bruce Arena would smug be 100X. Bruce Arena is the epitome of smug. Plus his personality and CFG would never match. Bruce likes to be told how great he is from his team, guys like Chris Klein and Jovan Karovksy etc.....and you know what there is nothing wrong with that as long as it works. Its worked in LA. However, it would never work in NYC.
Yeah man, no hard feelings about anything.

I would , however, say that there are different types of smug. Bruce is like a Steve Spurrier smug that is funny and endearing. This year, with the media, Kreis has been smug in a way that seems asocial and unlikeable . I think it's the burden of NYC expectations, whether from fans, media or the club. He was very, very nice and conversational when I ran into him at the airport prior to the 2014 all star game.

Reactions: S1ARK5
If it's the same inside NYCFC guy who leaked info to Ian Joy that Pirlo wasn't coming to New York, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Um, and btw, why would a guy from NYCFC (management or not) who wants to leak a story go to a Red Bull/Cardboard Cosmos toad like Shep Messing?

IF there is a guy looking to leak info wouldn't he go to someone like Brian Lewis, Stefan Bondy, Mark Cannizzaro or anyone else who has covered the team and not a guy who is an employee of another organization and has no connection to NYCFC?

JHC, the only guy in this town who doesn't have a bigger agenda against NYCFC than Messing is that schmuck Jack Bell.
Are we sure he has an agenda against NYCFC? He may not want us to beat RBNJ, but it would be pretty unlike him to not want what was best for Shep, and that quite clearly is to have a pulsating soccer scene.

If we aren't relevant, he can't stir the pot and his name isn't on our board. I just think the premise that he wants NYCFC to fail is counter to the argument that he's out to get "his".

I don't see what his agenda against us would be. He's most relevant when the maximum number of people are plugged into soccer in the city and across the country. I just don't buy that saying something controversial means he's against us. I'm sure he wishes that Cosmos could have achieved the relationships and delivered a plan that got them into MLS, but I think someone as pragmatic and self-serving as he seems to be would bury the hatchet pretty quickly.

I'm going to have to surf around to see if I can find it, but I'm positive when MLS first announced back in 2013 that NYCFC was joining the league, Messing went on one of those douchebag "There's no need for a second team in NYC, because there isn't any authentic, organic, grassroots movement to get one" rants. He had no problems using the usual half assed references to Manchester City that you saw tossed all over the place back then.

He wasn't as pissed that we were going to do something the NYRB couldn't do in 20 years (get the city all hopped up on MLS), but were going to be the death knell for the Cosmos.

EDIT

meh, couldn't find shit. But to be fair to Messing I did come across an article where he lets it be known he doesn't care for corporations owning teams, because it's not organic........but it was more a shot at Red Bull than MCFC.
Is the right product coming? Perhaps, but don't get too amped up. "Red Bull and any team being owned by a corporation is the opposite of organic," Shep Messing, a Cosmos legend who does broadcasting for the Red Bulls, says. "Soccer is historically a very tribal sport around the world. The whole notion of a corporation, let alone a foreign corporation that is selling a drink, owning a team is the antithesis of an organic team that is adopted by the community. I think that's almost been insurmountable to Red Bull since they bought MetroStars."
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-battle-for-new-york-cash-corporations-and-soccer

Last edited:

I would , however, say that there are different types of smug. Bruce is like a Steve Spurrier smug that is funny and endearing. This year, with the media, Kreis has been smug in a way that seems asocial and unlikeable . I think it's the burden of NYC expectations, whether from fans, media or the club. He was very, very nice and conversational when I ran into him at the airport prior to the 2014 all star game.
Maybe he's trying to be a poor mans Bill Belichick (personality wise) I hear Bill is actually a really nice and personable person.

Reactions: Kjbert
Except one, which goes
Bronx
Columbia
Flushing
Sunnyside
Staten Island?
NO!
Bronx
Aquaduct
Bronx
DiBlasio
Bronx
Columbia
Flushing
Metro North
Bronx...
Crap, I think I might've been one or two of those. Now I'll have to rethink my life choices.

As the creator of the #KreisOut hashtag, I would like to see him removed for a number of reasons.

That being said, there are worse choices than Jason. I don't think Sigi Schmid is a good choice. Porter, Petke - all poor choices.

There is really only one good MLS coach and it is Bruce Arena. The rest of them suck. Jason is near the top of the 2nd Tier. My issues with him are around his inability to manage a team of stars and deal with New York fans.

Reactions: Gavin23
I'll bite, as it's a slow Friday afternoon at work. Could you go into a little detail around the last point :
"My issues with him are around his inability...... to deal with New York fans"
Legit curious on how you believe he's mishandled or not dealt well with the fans of NYC? I have no opinion as to whether he has or has not, just strikes me as interesting characteristic to choose as an issue to have with Kreis

I agree with you.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Here's what I'm wondering: Did Shep totally make up that an inside source told him this? Seems unlikely but I don't know. Is the rumor actually going to happen? Seems unlikely but I don't know. So, what we're left with: Is it just a slim possibility? Or did the person want a false rumor for some reason? What was the point of the inside source saying it to Shep, possibility or not? What's going on in there?

The specificity is an interesting rumor. I think Shep's misconstrued things, though. Maybe the "internal" meetings talked about Jason, sure, and maybe there were comparisons to Sigi, since they're both the first-ever coaches for their respective teams. I wouldn't doubt that they talked about the two, compared the two and set out realistic expectations for Jason using Sigi as a starting point. Shep was probably doing too many whipits in the RBA parking lot before the game and got everything misconstrued in his head.