Lampard To Nycfc

I'll let Frank do the talking.... On the pitch when he proves you wrong.

I don't think he's the best player in the world, but he's a good quality reliable and intelligent player who know's the game in and out... a perfect role model for the City Academy kids that will be going into NYCFC.

All that 9/11 shit was years ago, it's not as if he flew the plane into the building.
Just a drunk young lad that made a mistake... ohh haven't we all been there?

Reactions: Vito and lawson
Honestly it's getting old.
If you don't think frank Lampard is an amazing signing for a club with no history and playing in the MLS then I can't respect anything you have to say about football.
He made 50! Yes.. 50 appearances last year with BPL, domestic cups, European competitions and international. Scored 11 goals combined. His age and fitness shouldn't even be discussed. I think he can handle playing a full season or at least the majority of one.

You're not going to respect my opinions anymore? Damn, I hope the Telegraph doesn't get wind of this development. They might have to retract their article quoting me. Probably requires an entire new article.
Headline: Previously Quoted Message Board Source Lacks Credibility, Per Message Board Source

Just make sure they keep spelling my name right. ;)

You're not going to respect my opinions anymore? Damn, I hope the Telegraph doesn't get wind of this development. They might have to retract their article quoting me. Probably requires an entire new article.
Headline: Previously Quoted Message Board Source Lacks Credibility, Per Message Board Source

Chelsea were our competitors, Frank is an OK player, who is (I am afraid to say) still capable of playing but at the end of his career in the top flight.
Whilst it has been a fantastic career, and his scoring record is second to non, I like to look at scoring records excluding penalties. I have no proof but if you take out his penalties, I do not think his scoring record is that great. Expect a player who can control games with experience, dont expect a player who will score loads of goals from open play (I could be proved wrong, but it is my impression)

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Chelsea were our competitors, Frank is an OK player, who is (I am afraid to say) still capable of playing but at the end of his career in the top flight.
Whilst it has been a fantastic career, and his scoring record is second to non, I like to look at scoring records excluding penalties. I have no proof but if you take out his penalties, I do not think his scoring record is that great. Expect a player who can control games with experience, dont expect a player who will score loads of goals from open play (I could be proved wrong, but it is my impression)

Considering the amount of penalties MLS likes to hand out these days, not sure it's a problem.

Reactions: Paul

Excuse me? What does the Telegraph have to do with my opinion? Despite the fact I am the owner of this forum I am also entitled to my opinion. And despite the fact you were quoted by the Telegraph I still disagree with you and will voice my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like you as a member just that I disagree with you.
If you guys want to bash the guy feel free. I have much better things to do with my time than bash a player that took a chance on a team I support.

I'm absolutely staggered by the sheer sense of entitlement among some people here.

You've just signed one of the most high profile footballers in Premier League history.

He might be 37, but he still plays to a high enough standard that he earned himself a spot in the England squad for the World Cup.

He is a central midfielder. It's not like you've just signed a 37 year old winger, that would be a bad move given wingers need athleticism to be successful. In the centre of midfield athleticism is less important, look at Pirlo, he's 35 but still regarded as one of the best midfielders in Europe. He was Italy's best player at the World Cup.

Lampard is a highly intelligent player, he has more than enough ability to absolutely run your midfield and dictate the tempo of your whole team, he could be your Pirlo.

What were you guys expecting to greet this move with such negativity?

Iniesta? Kroos? Schweinsteiger? Rodriquez?!?

I really don't get it.

If this isn't about football and more about the 9/11 overblown controversy, then that's fair enough, but don't dress up your disdain as football based if that's the case, it's insincere.

I genuinely don't see how you could express such negativity at this transfer on a football basis.

This isn't Fifa 14.

There's a reason a lot of people liked your post. We agree with you. Instead of making a general statement AT the community please quote those and reply to those you disagree with. Only a few supporters disagree with this signing. The large majority of us agree with it.
By generalizing all you're doing is upsetting those who do agree with you and are on your side.
This then leads you to believe people just don't like you because you're a MCFC fan. No it's because you're generalizing our community and supporters and labeling us as something we are not.

So he have arrived, good.. We are slowly picking up speed towards 2015

I know I'm late to the party and it's probably been mentioned in this thread already but can somebody explain what happened with the 9/11 comments? I see it on twitter but no articles about.

Jody Morris, one of the other Chelsea players involved in the alleged 9/11-related incident with Lampard, had this to say:

What of the most notorious episode in his career, the News of the World story that during a drinking session he, Frank Lampard, John Terry and Eidur Gudjohnsen were abusive in the presence of American tourists watching the coverage of 9/11? Morris admits that the players were foolish to go drinking but denies categorically that they targeted the Americans. “The next day they [Chelsea] pulled us into a room and said, ‘You are going to get hammered [criticised]’. That side of it was silly. We shouldn’t have gone out boozing because the game [a Uefa Cup tie] got cancelled. We just went local and went for beers. There were loads of us. The way it was reported was that there were four lads; there were 15 to 16 players. Obviously a lot went home after an hour and we stayed longer and drank too much.

“They [the paper] said to the club, ‘We have people urinating in gardens, throwing stuff in pubs’. It was not right. We were saying, ‘That’s pure lies’. They [the club] said, ‘What you need to do is meet the paper and say you are sorry’. They said we were laughing at people, grieving Americans. All this, that there were grieving Americans looking at TV screens and crying and we were laughing and joking was absolutely fabricated. That was just rubbish. Claudio Ranieri [the then manager] and Lamps weren’t happy [about the apology]. Lamps is super switched-on and was a little bit older than us. He was like, ‘I don’t like the look of this. There is so much being said’.

“It is almost like we... if you say, ‘Yes, we shouldn’t have gone out for a drink, and if by any chance we were a bit loud, then fair enough’, but it came out that... it looked like we were apologising for all this rubbish. I remember Lamps got dropped from the England squad. We couldn’t believe it.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...and-lows-of-a-fascinating-career-8537072.html

Excuse me? What does the Telegraph have to do with my opinion? Despite the fact I am the owner of this forum I am also entitled to my opinion. And despite the fact you were quoted by the Telegraph I still disagree with you and will voice my opinion. Doesn't mean I don't like you as a member just that I disagree with you.
If you guys want to bash the guy feel free. I have much better things to do with my time than bash a player that took a chance on a team I support.

Calm down, man. It was all in fun. If you couldn't tell by the context, I even stuck an emoticon in there to let you know it was all in good fun. I thought I was being self-deprecating if anything. Do you really think I place any value whatsoever on that ridiculous quote I wouldn't have even seen if it weren't pointed out to me?

I guess I do value it as a good source of jokes/amusement, but it means nothing to me otherwise. If it meant anyone took anything I typed here more seriously, then we need to get those people help ASAP. Hell, I don't take myself seriously on this forum. Why should anyone? We're fans. We're not paid spokespeople. If someone's not being internet tough guy or flaunting the forum rules, then far be it from me to demand agreement. I obviously have no problem with dissent.

So as for voicing your opinion, have at it. Fully agree that you should, and I hope I didn't suggest otherwise. I'm pretty sure I've not gone after anyone personally for having a different opinion than me on this Lampard thing. I've said I disagree with it for various reasons, and I've said I hope I'm wrong. I think reasonable minds can differ, particularly since it's all conjecture.

How will he take the beating and more lenient officiating? How will he adjust to living here? How fit will he be? Who will be providing cover for him? Will it take him a better part of a season to adapt like it did Cahill or Dempsey or Beckham or most any high profile player? Nobody knows the answers to these or any other potentially critical questions. I can see why people would take either side.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Jody Morris, one of the other Chelsea players involved in the alleged 9/11-related incident with Lampard, had this to say:

What of the most notorious episode in his career, the News of the World story that during a drinking session he, Frank Lampard, John Terry and Eidur Gudjohnsen were abusive in the presence of American tourists watching the coverage of 9/11? Morris admits that the players were foolish to go drinking but denies categorically that they targeted the Americans. “The next day they [Chelsea] pulled us into a room and said, ‘You are going to get hammered [criticised]’. That side of it was silly. We shouldn’t have gone out boozing because the game [a Uefa Cup tie] got cancelled. We just went local and went for beers. There were loads of us. The way it was reported was that there were four lads; there were 15 to 16 players. Obviously a lot went home after an hour and we stayed longer and drank too much.

“They [the paper] said to the club, ‘We have people urinating in gardens, throwing stuff in pubs’. It was not right. We were saying, ‘That’s pure lies’. They [the club] said, ‘What you need to do is meet the paper and say you are sorry’. They said we were laughing at people, grieving Americans. All this, that there were grieving Americans looking at TV screens and crying and we were laughing and joking was absolutely fabricated. That was just rubbish. Claudio Ranieri [the then manager] and Lamps weren’t happy [about the apology]. Lamps is super switched-on and was a little bit older than us. He was like, ‘I don’t like the look of this. There is so much being said’.

“It is almost like we... if you say, ‘Yes, we shouldn’t have gone out for a drink, and if by any chance we were a bit loud, then fair enough’, but it came out that... it looked like we were apologising for all this rubbish. I remember Lamps got dropped from the England squad. We couldn’t believe it.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...and-lows-of-a-fascinating-career-8537072.html

Very possible that it's exactly as he says. However, it seems inarguable that his comments serve his interests (that's his intent, yes?). It doesn't make it false, but he's making these comments with a particular agenda in mind. That's why he leads with the "15 or 16" players before he gets back to the fact that it was indeed only a few around when the situation occurred. So Mr. Morris, are you saying that the press report was accurate on the number of people involved in the questionable behavior? Sounds like it.

It probably wasn't some all out malicious verbal assault. And it probably wasn't quite the railroad job he's describing. Or maybe it was. Either way, it sucks that what should be a celebratory moment is diminished by perceptions of the event.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
From the article posted above by Gene:

“My regret would be that I was a naïve young boy to be out on that day. If you ask me the same question if it was now, I wouldn’t be doing that at all and putting myself in a spot to get shot at,’’ Lampard said. “What I can say for sure and categorically is I didn’t insult anybody. I didn’t behave in an insulting way around people. That’s not me. Unfortunately it was misreported to that extent.

“I’d love to tell New Yorkers that because I’d love to think in my time at Chelsea, I’ve built up a reputation not just as a player but as a person off the pitch. Being a captain, being a leader, trying to be responsible and now a father – I’ve got two kids – and I want to show New York that side of me. I’ve got to explain it in the right way because it’s a big deal to me. I’m that sort of sensitive person, and that picture painted there in some way wasn’t right.’’

Now everyone can shut the hell up about it and move on.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
original

Very possible that it's exactly as he says. However, it seems inarguable that his comments serve his interests (that's his intent, yes?). It doesn't make it false, but he's making these comments with a particular agenda in mind. That's why he leads with the "15 or 16" players before he gets back to the fact that it was indeed only a few around when the situation occurred. So Mr. Morris, are you saying that the press report was accurate on the number of people involved in the questionable behavior? Sounds like it.

It probably wasn't some all out malicious verbal assault. And it probably wasn't quite the railroad job he's describing. Or maybe it was. Either way, it sucks that what should be a celebratory moment is diminished by perceptions of the event.

News of the World, which the Morris article says had the original 9/11-related story, is (actually WAS, doesn't even exist anymore) one of the worst news organizations in the world for sticking it to people, so keep that in mind as well. Not sure if people here will remember the whole phone-hacking scandal from a few years back.

Last edited:

Stopped reading at News of The World.

Just in case you Americans do not know, that paper set out to sensatioanlise anything with the quest to ruin something or somebody.
It was the moral guardian of the UK. So glad it folded in the light of phone hacking scandals.

Reactions: Bobbymanc and Paul
Calm down, man. It was all in fun. If you couldn't tell by the context, I even stuck an emoticon in there to let you know it was all in good fun. I thought I was being self-deprecating if anything. Do you really think I place any value whatsoever on that ridiculous quote I wouldn't have even seen if it weren't pointed out to me?

I guess I do value it as a good source of jokes/amusement, but it means nothing to me otherwise. If it meant anyone took anything I typed here more seriously, then we need to get those people help ASAP. Hell, I don't take myself seriously on this forum. Why should anyone? We're fans. We're not paid spokespeople. If someone's not being internet tough guy or flaunting the forum rules, then far be it from me to demand agreement. I obviously have no problem with dissent.

So as for voicing your opinion, have at it. Fully agree that you should, and I hope I didn't suggest otherwise. I'm pretty sure I've not gone after anyone personally for having a different opinion than me on this Lampard thing. I've said I disagree with it for various reasons, and I've said I hope I'm wrong. I think reasonable minds can differ, particularly since it's all conjecture.

How will he take the beating and more lenient officiating? How will he adjust to living here? How fit will he be? Who will be providing cover for him? Will it take him a better part of a season to adapt like it did Cahill or Dempsey or Beckham or most any high profile player? Nobody knows the answers to these or any other potentially critical questions. I can see why people would take either side.

Apologies, nothing but respect brother.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan