Lampard To Nycfc

This could be a problem, but I think this can be solved quickly.

Start the intro press conference by addressing it. "I was dumb for what I did in 9/11. I was young and drunk and clearly had no idea as to how insensitive and prickish I was being. I deeply apologize again to those tourists, all New Yorkers, and all Americans for my inexcusable actions. I hope that in coming here and helping NYCFC I can make some amends to the city I offended by helping establish a wonderful club that they can enjoy. More directly, I will be doing x charitable work on behalf of 9/11 victims."

Reactions: BxLio91
I never liked Lampard as a player, and I think he's old and out of shape. That said, people know who he is. He's going to sell tickets and get the team coverage. If we're EVER going to get stuck with this kind of 'off-the-field reasons' signing let's get it out of the way now. NYCFC isn't going to realistically compete for MLS Cup in Year 1 (or 2 or3) so let's spend some DP money on a guy who will raise awareness when we need it most.

Have you ever seen him play?

I was at the England v Ecuador game back in June and Lampard ran the show. His range of passing and first touch is unreal.

This is a poorly thought out signing. If it happens. Trying to appeal to the city aspect of new york, and bringing in a guy whose "youthful gaffe" was about as appalling to New Yorkers as it gets, is tonedeaf to say the least.

Damn, between this, showing up on the March to Brazil series and getting a shout on the ESPN FC blogs, I'm going to have to get a PR team to capitalize on all this fame.

Damn shame they didn't quote me on the pizza stuff.
I guess we'll have to start name dropping Midas Mulligan when promoting on Twitter:

See what Midas Mulligan says today! on nycfcforums.com

NYCFC aquires USMNT benchwarmer Mix Diskerud in landmark non-DP deal see what Midas thinks! @nycfc_forums

One fan, Midas Mulligan, wrote: “He better be down there sweeping the grounds at 1WTC EVERY DAMN DAY, after he publicly apologises to every American for being a s***bag of highest order. Maybe then, and only then, will I consider supporting him.”
Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan

Having a real shitty day, but this quote brought a smile to my face. Thank you Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan.

All in all, I thought it was a scathing article. Not 100% clear with regard to the specifics of what happened back then though.

Last edited:
This could be a problem, but I think this can be solved quickly.

Start the intro press conference by addressing it. "I was dumb for what I did in 9/11. I was young and drunk and clearly had no idea as to how insensitive and prickish I was being. I deeply apologize again to those tourists, all New Yorkers, and all Americans for my inexcusable actions. I hope that in coming here and helping NYCFC I can make some amends to the city I offended by helping establish a wonderful club that they can enjoy. More directly, I will be doing x charitable work on behalf of 9/11 victims."

I'm not sure this would "be solved quickly", but your suggestion would certainly help.

want to be clear that when I said I find this slightly embarrassing I meant the wanting to burn Lampard in effigy brigade and not the actual signing itself with which I have no problem.

Reactions: Kjbert
want to be clear that when I said I find this slightly embarrassing I meant the wanting to burn Lampard in effigy brigade and not the actual signing itself with which I have no problem.

The effigy seems to be optional at this point.

What he did cannot be defended.

However, is it right to hold every person indefinitely responsible for drunken indiscretions (which broke no laws) at that age and prevent them from employment? More than half of the university graduates in England and the US would never be able to get a job if that was normal practise. I am sure he regretted the incident, learnt from it, and has matured since then.

I am on record as agreeing with a fair few that he is not the signing I would have chosen (and I would not be disappointed if it failed to materialise) but my thoughts are based on his sporting attributes, not a stupid decision to offend people in mourning 13 years ago.

While this level of scrutiny is to be expected–footballers essentially dream of all the trappings of fame as young lads–it does not mean that all versions of it are fair and productive. I believe the condemnation at the time was completely warranted and necessary but the endless reference since is only destructive.

Damn, between this, showing up on the March to Brazil series and getting a shout on the ESPN FC blogs, I'm going to have to get a PR team to capitalize on all this fame.

Damn shame they didn't quote me on the pizza stuff.

Not as famous as you, but this is my first time being published on a newspaper website oversees. Go us.

So apparently we need to remember that all media outlets are going to come here to get their "fan opinions." Which is flattering for us, even if it is a tad lazy on their part.

This actually happens quite a lot in the UK and Bluemoon (MCFC forum) users are used as blind sources often. Of course, libel and slander laws in the UK are laughable so at least you are quoted as Americans.

If you're embarrassed by people ranting on message boards, you might want to go ahead and stay off the internet.

But to your substantive point, those actions and his general association with John Terry are the major reasons I don't care for him on a "personal" level - and I use "personal" in quotes because we might be BFFs if we met - you know how us famous folks like to hang out together.

The complaints I have about how I see him fitting into the team have been well covered by others and myself in other places, so I don't see any need to rehash them again until I find an opportunity for some weighty, I mean witty, repartee.

Yeah, I have stated a time or two on the forums that I don't believe Lampard is the right signing for NYCFC on a sporting level for a number of reasons, not the least of which is this DP cap. And there are obvious reasons why he may not have been a good fit for the NYC community in general in the past. With that said, I don't know Lampard on a personal level but, having read plenty about his youthful indiscretions (not just the 9/11 incident), I'd like to hope that he's grown as a human being over the years. If he comes to our club, I'll definitely give him a chance both on and off the field.

I still haven't found what Lampard exactly said to the Americans about 9/11. What did he say? Did he just act like an ass clown to a bunch of Americans, or did he deliberately insult them about 9/11?

If we're going to rip this dude a new one, I'd like to know what he said. The article above doesn't even mention what he said.

As far as tactics and role players, it's all Kreis. The DP acquisitions meant to add prestige to the team are out of his jurisdiction.
If that's really the case (and I doubt it) kreis was sold a bunch of bad goods.

No way Kreis doesn't have a huge input into DP signings, even if it's just Reyna consultation.

I still haven't found what Lampard exactly said to the Americans about 9/11. What did he say? Did he just act like an ass clown to a bunch of Americans, or did he deliberately insult them about 9/11?

If we're going to rip this dude a new one, I'd like to know what he said. The article above doesn't even mention what he said.

There aren't any quotes for it anywhere. When the Lampard story first came up (several months ago) I did some poking and it seemed like it's possible that 9/11 wasn't even mentioned - they just came across a small group of Americans who were looking disconsolate and were drinking to drown their sorrows and it seems like what was said was probably more along the lines of mocking American stereotypes/accents than anything else. It's just that it happened to be 24 hours after the WTC attack and the Americans, when they told their story to the press, said that they thought the recentness of 9/11 meant that they should have been respected and that being insulted for being American on that day of all days was out of line - which, of course, it was.

That's just my interpretation from the couple of dozen press articles I scanned, though. Many articles made no attempt at suggesting 9/11 was not the subject of the conversation, so it's possible I am wrong, but in my experience of interpreting these kinds of stories you can usually get the most accurate interpretations by finding the longest and most moderately-toned articles, and those articles hinted that 9/11 was simply never brought up at the time.

There aren't any quotes for it anywhere. When the Lampard story first came up (several months ago) I did some poking and it seemed like it's possible that 9/11 wasn't even mentioned - they just came across a small group of Americans who were looking disconsolate and were drinking to drown their sorrows and it seems like what was said was probably more along the lines of mocking American stereotypes/accents than anything else. It's just that it happened to be 24 hours after the WTC attack and the Americans, when they told their story to the press, said that they thought the recentness of 9/11 meant that they should have been respected and that being insulted for being American on that day of all days was out of line - which, of course, it was.

That's just my interpretation from the couple of dozen press articles I scanned, though. Many articles made no attempt at suggesting 9/11 was not the subject of the conversation, so it's possible I am wrong, but in my experience of interpreting these kinds of stories you can usually get the most accurate interpretations by finding the longest and most moderately-toned articles, and those articles hinted that 9/11 was simply never brought up at the time.

My understanding, as well.

Behaviour that was rightly admonished at the time but not necessarily that much worse than things I have seen young people do in my community, unfortunately.

We just had a young man arrested for painting a racial slur on a very nice families house down the street, actually. Appalling thing to do and is rightly sleeping on a concrete slab for a few days right now.