Leagues Cup - July 23 - Atlas (Home)

In all the VAR / Nazi controversy, I totally forgot to post my favorite moment from this match, one that actually got me really enthusiastic.

After Haak scored and all our players started running to the corner to celebrate a game tying goal in our home stadium, one player sprinted to the net. One player went to grab the ball. One player has a winning, not a tying mentality.

Our new #9. Sight for sore eyes. Welcome Bakrar.
I saw that too! Good call out

Club is saying we advanced to the next round? Is that just tiebreaker confidence?

Club is saying we advanced to the next round? Is that just tiebreaker confidence?
It is a certainty.
We have 3 points.
If Atlas wins Toronto has 0 points and we advance.
If they tie, regardless of the shootout, Toronto has at most 1 or 2 points and we advance.
If Toronto wins, everyone ends up with 3 points. We will be ahead of Atlas (at least) on GD because we are at +4, Atlas is now at +1, and if Atlas loses that can only go down so we advance.
Whether we finish 1st or 2nd in Group is open, but no matter what we cannot finish third.

It's a quirk of 3 team groups and why they suck.
1690469365332.png
On a tie we go through bc toronto less points.
On a Toronto win we go through bc we beat Toronto. Atlas/Toronto tiebreaker would come into play. (if i understandg this correctly...)
On an Atlas win we go through bc Toronto on 0 points.

Any tie between two teams with the same number of points in a standing will be the game between the two teams, with the winner of the game ranked higher. Because there are no ties in the group stage, the following tie-breaking procedure is applicable when three teams are tied in points in the group stage, creating a sub-group amongst the tied teams[a]:

1. Direct head-to-head match result between the tied clubs (for clarity, a win in penalty kicks is a win for purposes of this tiebreaker);
  2. Better goal differential between goals scored and goals conceded during the group stage;
  3. Greater number of goals scored during the group stage;
  4. Fewer number of goals conceded during the group stage;
  5. Clubs' fair-play table
    • First yellow card: –1 point
    • Second yellow card (indirect red card): –3 points (The first yellow card will not be considered)
    • Direct red card: –3 points
    • Yellow card followed by a direct red card: –4 points;
  6. A draw organized by the organizing committee.

It is a certainty.
We have 3 points.
If Atlas wins Toronto has 0 points and we advance.
If they tie, regardless of the shootout, Toronto has at most 1 or 2 points and we advance.
If Toronto wins, everyone ends up with 3 points. We will be ahead of Atlas (at least) on GD because we are at +4, Atlas is now at +1, and if Atlas loses that can only go down so we advance.
Whether we finish 1st or 2nd in Group is open, but no matter what we cannot finish third.
Does GD come into play on the tie? because currently we are tied with them but are below them. So i guess in a three-way tie, h2h doesn't get included?

Thanks mgarbowski mgarbowski and Shwafta Shwafta. Commentators talked some much about needing to win to avoid elimination I didn't know advancement was even on the table, and the LC standings weren't showing us as having advanced.

Does GD come into play on the tie? because currently we are tied with them but are below them. So i guess in a three-way tie, h2h doesn't get included?

H2H cannot work here because it's an Ouroboros infinity loop: Atlas beat NYCFC who beat Toronto who beat Atlas who beat NYCFC who beat .....

So I think you go to the second item on the list you posted which is GD.

H2H cannot work here because it's an Ouroboros infinity loop: Atlas beat NYCFC who beat Toronto who beat Atlas who beat NYCFC who beat .....

So I think you go to the second item on the list you posted which is GD.
That's what broke my head, to be honest LOL.

H2H cannot work here because it's an Ouroboros infinity loop

You win the forum today
Yes. Excellent stuff.

It made me wonder about terminology. I would have said a "Rochambeau" - like rock-paper-scissors. But, apparently the Rochambeau term refers to the Comte de Rochambeau, who supposedly played it during the American Revolutionary War.

According to Wikipedia, this is called an "intransative" - A>B>C>A... etc.