MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

Could the Apple TV MLS Cup pregame show have been more underwhelming?

They have a long ways to go in terms of quality of coverage. I continue to maintain that YES had better coverage of the actual games, not counting the TV/streaming issues.

The other problem is visibility. I hardly paid any attention to the playoffs, and despite wanting to watch the Cup today, I totally forgot about it.
I see virtually no MLS talk anywhere other than Apple and mostly semi-amateur sites dedicated to MLS.
Except Messi.

Reactions: Vallos
The other problem is visibility. I hardly paid any attention to the playoffs, and despite wanting to watch the Cup today, I totally forgot about it.
I see virtually no MLS talk anywhere other than Apple and mostly semi-amateur sites dedicated to MLS.
Except Messi.

Could not agree more with that. It was one of my biggest fears with this new deal. The league is out of sight, out of mind.

Reactions: joe and Shwafta
Could not agree more with that. It was one of my biggest fears with this new deal. The league is out of sight, out of mind.
While I agree, having it in espn and fox sports didn’t move the needle either. You only got a commercial here or there.

Last edited:
While I agree, having it in espn and fox sports didn’t move the needle either. You only got a commercial here or there.

They took a known risk by moving their product to streaming. Fox and ESPN won't promote what they don't broadcast, but I'm not sure how much that matters. The days when everyone got their sports news and highlights from SportsCenter ended a long time ago, and who even watches that anymore. SC once could generate at least some buzz and interest in marginal sports. No more. The occasional commercial doesn't matter much.

Plus there are so many confounding factors:
  • Most importantly for us, NYCFC didn't make the playoffs, had a 1 win in 17 game stretch, and scored more than 1 goal just 8 times. I know this caused me not to GAF about the Shield Race, or whether the Union or Revs or anyone played well or had a slump.
  • Leagues Cup plus Messi's arrival turned MLS bipolar. There was a hyper month long Messi party followed by a withdrawal hangover.
  • There was an extended, disjointed, irrational playoff format, also thanks to Leagues Cup.

Reactions: 413Blue and Shwafta
They took a known risk by moving their product to streaming. Fox and ESPN won't promote what they don't broadcast, but I'm not sure how much that matters. The days when everyone got their sports news and highlights from SportsCenter ended a long time ago, and who even watches that anymore. SC once could generate at least some buzz and interest in marginal sports. No more. The occasional commercial doesn't matter much.

Plus there are so many confounding factors:
  • Most importantly for us, NYCFC didn't make the playoffs, had a 1 win in 17 game stretch, and scored more than 1 goal just 8 times. I know this caused me not to GAF about the Shield Race, or whether the Union or Revs or anyone played well or had a slump.
  • Leagues Cup plus Messi's arrival turned MLS bipolar. There was a hyper month long Messi party followed by a withdrawal hangover.
  • There was an extended, disjointed, irrational playoff format, also thanks to Leagues Cup.
I was referring to when only espn and fox sports had rights (along with tudn). There was no mention of mls in any of their programs talk shows, their social media etc, only when there was a top 10 worthy goal. I think nhl has a little more exposure now that they own those rights, although I have read fans hope it would be better.

These days with apple deal yes it makes sense that fox and espn can careless.

If anything the way coverage went I confirm what I believe mls (and most of club soccer) is: a niche. It’s been that for a while. Only someone like Messi brings temporary attention and when he is not around everyone else goes back to not caring.

It’s difficult honestly, mls has done all it can to get itself out there, they tried being with the big boys, didn’t help. Now they trying streaming way and we will see what happens.

Once again, no link. Who'd they can?
Adrian Healey announced on X that his 25 year run of calling MLS games is over.

Building on that, and citing anonymous sources, World Soccer Talk says MLS/Apple is forcing pay cuts on announcers and pushing out those who won't accept. WST is a mostly reliable account. I can't imagine who MLS/Apple would get as replacements given how listless and uninformed many of the current group turned out to be. And I won't blame them for not doing sufficient prep work if they're not compensated sufficiently.

ETA: and now the forums are mangling Reddit previews, but at least the link works.

Last edited:

Is this right? The most watched EPL game in US history had fewer viewers than both LMX and MLS games?

I'd love to know the AppleTV numbers for MLS Cup 2023
What's the most watched EPL game in US history? (Edit: NVM i didn't see the thread, just the first tweet. all good now)

Also I have to assume most people watch EPL pirated. I don't have it on any platforms, so if I watch it it's via the open seas.

Last edited:
What's the most watched EPL game in US history? (Edit: NVM i didn't see the thread, just the first tweet. all good now)

Also I have to assume most people watch EPL pirated. I don't have it on any platforms, so if I watch it it's via the open seas.
Maybe but the Liverpool Arsenal have was on broadcast so no need to pirate. I’m sure some still did out of habit but it should not have been enough to depress official totals so much, and LigaMX and MLS likely get pirated as well.
I just assumed the highest rated PL game would get at least 2.5x more than the top MLS.

The free season ticket holder MLS/Apple Season pass email hit my inbox within the last hour.
I got charged by Apple today for my season pass.
Coincidence Reaction GIF

Last year I had a flex plan and NYCFC (mistakenly) sent me a free subscription to season pass. I got a half-season plan this year, so holding out hope either that or T-Mobile hooks me up so I don't have to pay.

I would love to know how many people actually paid for that thing vs got it for free through either MLS or T-Mobile.