MLS - April 24 - Toronto (Home)

I remain unconvinced that Johnson deserves criticism. The first goal was just impeccably placed, glancing in off the post. Johnson was there for the save, and if the ball had been 2" to one side, he gets it; 2" to the other side, it bounces off the post.

Then, you have two point-blank headers. Finally, there is the chip on the breakaway. To criticize that is to say that Johnson should make the save when someone is 1-1 with the keeper. That's a tough ask, even after the other keeper has done it twice.

I think Bono had a terrific game and was better than Johnson. But, I don't think Johnson's game was poor.

I thought the same thing. Maybe he could have played the 1 v 1 better, but you rarely see a keeper make the save on either of those headers. The shot off the post came out of the crowd, from within the box, and was almost too perfectly placed to cover.

What more could SJ have reasonably done?

Reactions: FootyLovin
I'm not arguing, but I want to jump in with a word for Thiago Andrade. It seems like he has unlocked another level in the last few games. Taking the npxG+xA measurement Soup referenced on a per-90 basis, he is all but tied with Taty (0.95 and 0.94). Talles is 0.70. If you prefer actual to expected, then for non penalty G+A per 90 he leads the team with 1.34. Skipping over the very low minute Pereira and Heber, you get next in order Santi, Talles and Taty at 0.75, 0.71 and 0.61 respectively (excluding PKs really affects Taty).

It's super early, and Andrade has lowish minutes for someone who has played regularly. But he's has been flying everywhere since the second half against Seattle and getting results. I also probably think that Talles's game vision and general skill set seems deeper and stronger. But Andrade is coming on strong.

My prediction that it will eventually be Pereira and Santi on the wings is largely based on their defensive abilities and Ronnies general track record of favoring wingers with high defensive work rates. Thaigo has looked better tracking back this season but still isn't a very reliable defender. That said if Thiago keeps producing on the offensive end maybe he takes one of the starting spots. Not a bad problem to have.

Either way, assuming Taty leaves, and Maxi misses some occasional games I think there will be plenty of minutes for everyone.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Thiago was asked about this in some interview (not sure which) and he said he feels more comfortable playing out wide paired with taty and talles. Not sure what he meant by that cause I always figured him to be playing wide anyway, but whatever the reason, he said he feels like he has more freedom to play and it feels better.

he's definitely stepped up his performances lately and it's been a joy to see our front 3/4 go at defenses.
I actually asked that question last night to him and that was based on the style of play since the second half of the Seattle game as well as one of Ronny's responses prior to Thiago's post game press conference last night about playing the wingers wider.

Yes, Thiago has always been on the wing, but there has been an emphasis the last 2.5 games to have them stay wider in the middle third, especially Thiago to leverage his speed.

This reverse angle view was posted in Reddit with the comment that it's better than the main view because you can see Michael Bradley die inside.

getting megged is the second worst thing that can ever happen to a defending player. the first is being the victim of an ankle breaking move and falling on your ass.

With reference to reverse angles, there was a behind the goal angle of the offsides on morales that cancelled taty's first goal. clearly shows the ball deflect off morales and into the goal and would have otherwise gone wide. I still think it was not clear and obvious that morales was offsides at all though.

On the VAR overrule, the ball definitely glanced off Morales' head.

Was he offside? Very close. I can only hope the referee had a better angle than this one.

View attachment 12010
I lack sophisticated photoshop skills. But here is my version with parallel lines drawn in for the endline and the 18 yard line. The real offside line will be somewhere between those two. Also, Bradley's foot is raised. Not sure how that would affect it. But hard to see where they got to clear and obvious.

Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 8.35.04 AM.png

I lack sophisticated photoshop skills. But here is my version with parallel lines drawn in for the endline and the 18 yard line. The real offside line will be somewhere between those two. Also, Bradley's foot is raised. Not sure how that would affect it. But hard to see where they got to clear and obvious.

View attachment 12014
It's not when the Taty took the shot, it's when the ball hit Morales

Reactions: Kjbert
Does anyone know how to watch full game replays on the YES app? I can't find a full replay anywhere.

Additionally, when does the blackout on the ESPN app end for replays? I can't access the Toronto game there either, and it's fucking Wednesday.

Does anyone know how to watch full game replays on the YES app? I can't find a full replay anywhere.

Additionally, when does the blackout on the ESPN app end for replays? I can't access the Toronto game there either, and it's fucking Wednesday.
Based on my experience, the blackout on ESPN doesn't end, which is ridiculous.

Reactions: Kjbert and moogoo

The full game replays are typically in the NYCFC section, which is a few clicks south of the main screen. If you don't see the video right away, scroll to the right.

I think the full game replays are only available for a couple days on the YES app. So it might already be gone from there.

I usually search for the opponent to narrow it down. I often can't find them by browsing.

I think you might also need to be signed in...

Done both of those. No dice.
Weird. I watched the RSL match a day or two after with no issues (other than the usual app bugginess).

Found a couple search results for Toronto just now but none of them seem to work.