MLS - August 13 - Miami (Away)

miami played with heart and like a team. overall we have more talent but we didn't play like a team. that feeling was missing for me.

the infighting solidified it for me. the family culture seems to have gone awry and if we are to have any luck at saving the rest of the season and doing anything in the playoffs, we need to make up quick and get our mojo back.

frustrations probably have a lot to do with it. our style of defense being more standoff-ish doesn't help and I wonder if reporters are grilling cushing on this game after game cause it hasn't changed.

any team can lose on any given day. we lost to a team who played us fairly equally today and they won with some hard fought defense and some bad mistakes on our part. missed PK sucked but 2nd goal could have been negated had the whistle blown? so... eh.

i don't mind losing now and then. well, i lie. i hate it. but I can understand it. I don't enjoy seeing our team PLAY like this though and argue with each other. that hurts most.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Falling behind Philly, now down 3

Might not catch Philly. But it’s also not unrealistic to believe NYCFC will be tied with the Union on 8/18. City has Charlotte at “home” then Chicago on the road. Philly has Dallas on the road - a much more difficult summer game.

It is frustrating to lose two 3-2 road games, but I personally will reserve judgment until after the next few games. We’ll see how the schedule and rehabilitation go.

If it’s a mess on 8/18, then I’ll grab my pitchfork too.

Acevedo provides nothing to this team. He's a walking turnover machine.

Acevedo's team ranking:

Tackles - First
Tackles that give NYCFC the ball - First
Pressures - Second
Pressures that give NYC the ball - First
Blocks - First
Interceptions - Second
Pass Completion Percentage - Seventh - Fifth if you limit it to players with substantial minutes
Total Progressive Distance of Passes - Fourth
Number of Progressive passes that go at least 10 yards - Second

People were shitting all over Acevedo during the game. I don't know what the hell you see. I see a d-Mid who does his job and moves the ball upfield pretty aggressively.

Acevedo's League Percentile (ie better than x% of league) per FBREF

Pressures 69
Tackles 80
Interceptions 94
Blocks 72
Clearances 48
Aerials Won 83

He's not FIrst 5 for his position, but he's solid and clearly better than league average. ASA ranks him 10th among DMs for Goals Added this season.

Last edited:
Acevedo's League Percentile (ie better than x% of league)

Pressures 69
Tackles 80
Interceptions 94
Blocks 72
Clearances 48
Aerials Won 83

He's not FIrst 5 for his position, but he's solid and clearly better than league average.
I'd be more interested in how he compares to other players in his position. It's useless to compare him to a striker or a winger. Additionally, I'd like to see where he stands in number of turnovers. He consistently gives the ball away.

Reactions: moogoo
He did a good job tonight in a tough assignment, too.

yea he did ok considering he was outmatched on pace on the wing and it's not his position. can't shit on him. wondering what nick was thinking? anton can't go 90 yet i guess.. but why not start him and sub him off? and where is gray?

yea he did ok considering he was outmatched on pace on the wing and it's not his position. can't shit on him. wondering what nick was thinking? anton can't go 90 yet i guess.. but why not start him and sub him off? and where is gray?
Gray picked up a knock in training, apparently. He was supposed to make the trip.

I'm not sure what the story is with Boom, waiting for the postgame interviews. I'd assumed he'd start myself.

Reactions: moogoo
Extremely awkward that the ref allowed play to go on as long as he did at the “end” of the 1st half.

One minute of stoppage time and a goal is scored at 47:15?

And then he immediately blows the whistle after Inter lines up? Ooof.

Extremely awkward that the ref allowed play to go on as long as he did at the “end” of the 1st half.

made up for it later by not calling the PK.

Reactions: Marito

It's pretty common that as long as a team is attacking, the referee almost never blows the whistle. They always wait for it to get cleared. The attack started before the 1 minute was up, and Miami never cleared it. It's really not that controversial -- had Miami cleared their lines, the half ends. They couldn't get it out of their defensive third, so Fischer let the attack play out. It's a little odd because you don't usually see it go that long, but that's always how the end of halves are officiated.

The Malte play was a penalty, but Joe and Ian said the ball was going out of bounds; maybe that's why it wasn't called? They determined it wasn't a scoreable play because the ball was going out? Of course, I think that was what Amundsen was going for in that moment, but maybe when he kicked it away, the ref decided he wasn't going to get there?

Shambolic defending these last couple games. That game-winning goal. Oof. Just brutal stuff. Feels like we're just in a really unlucky stretch where every mistakes is being picked out of the net. This'll turn around; we're playing into some awful luck right now.

This season really resembles last season in many ways -- let's hope that continues through the end.

Still think we should have brought in a DeBruyne or Bruno Fernandes.