MLS - September 7 - Cincinnati (Home)

last season we lost of a bunch of games by 1 goal after dominating most of them. feel like we got a lot more cards last year too. i'd say we're doing worse on injuries this season.
I'm not sure about the cards (it's late and I'm drinking wine so I don't feel like digging into the numbers too much LOL) but we did indeed lose a lot of close ones last year. We had nine losses by one goal. (We had seven one-goal wins.)

This year, we have seven one-goal losses so far. Just four one-goal wins.

I'd agree injuries have been our bugaboo this campaign, though. And we arguably were not as able to handle them either, although I think we've figured a lot out.

it is one game suspension unless disco adds more. and this red was super soft, so unlikely they'll add more.
Yeah, it's just one game. Had to look it up, no way does the committee tack more on for that. It was a DOGSO but really soft. Definitely doesn't fit the bill for more games:

• The offense is egregious in nature; and/or
  • It must act to protect player safety; and/or
  • It must protect the integrity of the game; and/or
  • The player is guilty of repeat behavior.

I just rewatched the highlights. It’s still funny. He didn’t slip, or mis-hit the ball. He didn’t get spun around and disoriented. He looked right at our goal and kicked it in.
TBF Johnson was waaaay left and that’s a cheat that will be punished. My instant reaction was “so long World Cup, SJ.”

The original call on the Martins red was idiotic and shameful for an experienced ref. Not whether or not it was in the box, but giving a red and a PK on a non-violent foul is a no-no. Exactly what the double jeopardy rule is for. The only way you issue a red and a PK is if the foul would have been given a red anywhere else on the field. Had that been in the box on review, we would have been double screwed.

mistake for martins to not look where he's passing. mistake on johnson for not being center of the box. he needs to move and shift as the ball moves too.

flub + flub = OWN GOAL.

I was always taught to play back to the keeper wide of the goal. keepers don't have good feet. they will miss traps. best to give them a chance. lol. of course, these guys are supposed to be pros.. so **shrug**

TBF Johnson was waaaay left and that’s a cheat that will be punished. My instant reaction was “so long World Cup, SJ.”
No way that's on SJ. He's specifically NOT supposed to be inline with the goal in that situation. He's never supposed to be there, so you're never supposed to pass it back to him there.

mistake for martins to not look where he's passing. mistake on johnson for not being center of the box. he needs to move and shift as the ball moves too.

flub + flub = OWN GOAL.

I was always taught to play back to the keeper wide of the goal. keepers don't have good feet. they will miss traps. best to give them a chance. lol. of course, these guys are supposed to be pros.. so **shrug**
Ironically so many of our shots go straight to the keeper

The original call on the Martins red was idiotic and shameful for an experienced ref. Not whether or not it was in the box, but giving a red and a PK on a non-violent foul is a no-no. Exactly what the double jeopardy rule is for. The only way you issue a red and a PK is if the foul would have been given a red anywhere else on the field. Had that been in the box on review, we would have been double screwed.

i screamed this at unkel too. cause to me, martins attempted to play the ball. he CAN however, issue the red AND the PK if there was no attempt to play the ball. if he played the ball, then it's PK and yellow. To me it was a very soft foul to begin with and questionable dogso from where I was sitting since johnson was coming and i think callens was right there too (i haven't seen highlights yet).

yea just watched. he bumps into him from behind trying to catch up so red card was valid, but very soft. the bump was minimal at best and guy went diving looking for the PK. i thought martins was supposed to be our speedster on defense. guess not fast enough. didn't know FCC had a speed demon in their attack.

i screamed this at unkel too. cause to me, martins attempted to play the ball. he CAN however, issue the red AND the PK if there was no attempt to play the ball. if he played the ball, then it's PK and yellow. To me it was a very soft foul to begin with and questionable dogso from where I was sitting since johnson was coming and i think callens was right there too (i haven't seen highlights yet).

yea just watched. he bumps into him from behind trying to catch up so red card was valid, but very soft. the bump was minimal at best and guy went diving looking for the PK. i thought martins was supposed to be our speedster on defense. guess not fast enough. didn't know FCC had a speed demon in their attack.
Martins looked s lot quicker before so maybe he’s just not back to top speed post injury? I hope…
Remember how rough it was for THiago 2 in the beginning and everyone hated him. Then he helped us Dude Wipe the scene before August came.
i don’t know, he’s kind of an enigma. I think he does have speed, strength and good aerial ability but the OG is not surprising. (And kind of fits in well with the inevitable Chanot and SJ boners we get every season and now Fredo)
He and Tayvon Also seemed to be having words at start if the second half.
Anybody think Cacha was really good tonight?

Reactions: SoupInNYC

Johnson that far left was a tactical choice. All game he was shifting significantly to the left side when playing out of the back. Callens was also moving much further up the pitch than usual and almost acting as a second fullback with Amundsen. My seats were at the left corner diagonal from the supporters, and it was especially noticeable in the second half. I would need to rewatch, but it was obvious that it was something planned in conjunction with the 3 CB lineup.

Johnson that far left was a tactical choice. All game he was shifting significantly to the left side when playing out of the back. Callens was also moving much further up the pitch than usual and almost acting as a second fullback with Amundsen. My seats were at the left corner diagonal from the supporters, and it was especially noticeable in the second half. I would need to rewatch, but it was obvious that it was something planned in conjunction with the 3 CB lineup.

Lost connection mid-post, but to finish the thought, that OG was a combination of first game back + new system + muscle memory. At the stadium you could see the defenders huddling and gesturing to where Johnson was.

Frustrating, but I personally give Martins a pass for that under the circumstances.