MLS - September 20 - Orlando (Home)

Some moments from the game:

1. Pregame met up with mgarbowski mgarbowski and SoupInNYC SoupInNYC , we were discussing if rebound off a penalty counts as a goal from pk action or whatever (specifics not important), and then that first goal happened.
2. My friend and I were discussing how Madrid had no good areal threat in recent seasons until Joselu.... and then we watched Magno head that second goal in.
3. My friend I invited has yet to see an NYCFC loss in stadium, (he was at the derby on saturday fwiw) so I think bringing him along is the reason we won.
4. I went to get ice cream at the corner place near section 130, it was like $8 for the waffle cone. The lady doing it accidentally cracked the cone and couldn't give it to me as my actual cone (for some reason, I would have taken it but whatever...) so she made me a second cone and then said "i don't wanna waste food so pls just take the broken one too", so i ended up double-fisting waffle cones during half time into the second half. I still can feel the ice cream inside my stomach.
5. Beautiful night for a game. 15k is a shame, but understandable.
6. Their GK had the same stance and posture as Sean Johnson, and it threw me off a few times when I looked at him.
7. That Magno whiff later patched by the goal was a moment to forget for him, I think. I was like "that sums up the Magno experience, I hope he gets his redemption arc"... I hope this is the start of it. :) Rooting for you boi!

3. My friend I invited has yet to see an NYCFC loss in stadium, (he was at the derby on saturday fwiw) so I think bringing him along is the reason we won.
4. I went to get ice cream at the corner place near section 130, it was like $8 for the waffle cone. The lady doing it accidentally cracked the cone and couldn't give it to me as my actual cone (for some reason, I would have taken it but whatever...) so she made me a second cone and then said "i don't wanna waste food so pls just take the broken one too", so i ended up double-fisting waffle cones during half time into the second half. I still can feel the ice cream inside my stomach.
What kinda guy invites a friend to the stadium, gets a second free ice cream and doesn't share? #shwaftaed

;)

Moment of the match for me: the celebration of the Magno goal.

You could tell how much the whole team was so happy for him. I can't remember the last time I saw that level of enthusiasm for a specific teammate. Wonderful to see.
No one seemed happier than Bakrar, though it might just be his natural smile.

I somehow didn't notice how little possession we had (41%) while the game was happening.
ASA says it was the team's highest xG for the year at 2.48. Opta has it tied for second at 2.1.
Excluding players with less than 500 minutes and those who left, and Andres Jasson has the highest G+A per game on the roster. Bakrar should get to 500 next game and change that. Also Jasson has only 565 minutes, but I also think he's NYCFC's most improved player this year and somewhat counters the "young players aren't developing" narrative.
Talles is now tied for the club lead in goals. With 4. If Santi made the pen he would have 5.
Santi's PK, like all PKs had a .78884 xG value. Bakrar's rebound header was 0.0092.

This season has turned me into such a grump. Talles got that goal, everyone started talking about how wonderful and emotional the goal was for him, and I was sitting there thinking 'if he didn't take off 5 months in the middle of the season we'd probably be fighting for home-field advantage right now.'

shows how much the fans love and enjoy magno despite his poor performances in the start of the season and not being given any minutes. i think everyone just knew the talles at 9 experiment wasn't working and it wasn't his fault. being punished for it was sad to see.

this guy. trying to take credit for it now. he said the same shit when he threw on segal and he scored the late goal. same story. just trying to take credit for his "amazing" decision to put on a player. i'm so over his press conference bs.

Reactions: canchon and DeGrozz
The teams behind us are all really bad. They are not going to be picking up a ton of points. Chicago is absolutely awful. Miami is prioritizing other competitions over making the playoffs, so I don't think they get there. DC is two points ahead of us, but we play them in a 6-pointer and we both have played 30 games. Toronto is god-awful and already all-but eliminated.

Charlotte has an easy schedule, so maybe they can get there. They have two against Miami, Chicago, Toronto, but also Cincinnati and New England. Montreal has a brutal schedule.

Charlotte is probably the team with the kind of schedule that might allow them to chase down a spot. That last spot is probably between one of DC, NYC, and CLT.

think you have to remember is we are also "really bad" and haven't shown that we can sustain good form and win. this game felt great but it could also be a one off. like us, those other teams can have their day and crush a so called "good" team as well.

Reactions: Gene
Moment of the match for me: the celebration of the Magno goal.

You could tell how much the whole team was so happy for him. I can't remember the last time I saw that level of enthusiasm for a specific teammate. Wonderful to see.
It really looked for all the world like an emotional dam broke. And always remember, the players know who "the guy" is on their team regardless of what the coaches do. ;)

Reactions: FootyLovin
This feels like being down 3-0 in a seven game playoff series. It’s a long shot to advance, but every win makes the next game a little bit more meaningful, fun and exciting. There is still some hope and some joy to be had - even if it’s temporary. Let’s spin it up. After this dumpster fire of a season, we deserve it.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems way too low for Bakrar's header. Less than a 1.0% chance when most of the goal is open and no defenders are in the way?
It seems low to me as well.
FWIW the Talles header goal from inside the box was about 19% and Opta and ASA agree that Bakrar had 0.3 xG for the game on 4 shots, so while it's possible the mix is different, they likely agree. ASA does not provide shot by shot data.

Maybe diving headers on rebounds are very very low probability. Also he did have a defender on his shoulder, literally touching him. Don't know what else, and <1% still seems low. But 6% would not have raised my eyebrow.