MLS Week 22 - 2018

Houston player is sent off after a video review. Stepped on a defender's foot while trying to take a shot in the 6-yard box. Have no idea why that was a red card.

Official is young - a new guy. Not giving me faith in the next generation from PRO.

ETA
Ref is Joseph Dickerson
VAR is Ismael Elfath

And even after video review, Allen Chapman gave a yellow card to the Houston player that ended Yangel Herrera’s season. Give me new referee blood. Especially those that aren’t against certain players.

New Jersey goes top of table (PPG)

We’re one point behind with even games and a head to head match against them at home. I’m feel good we’ll be above them. We just have to go some work on the road, especially the two this week.

We’re one point behind with even games and a head to head match against them at home. I’m feel good we’ll be above them. We just have to go some work on the road, especially the two this week.
I'm just really afraid that Armas is going to get his shit together before the next derby... Also, Seattle's been looking scary lately, which worries me for us.

I'm just really afraid that Armas is going to get his shit together before the next derby... Also, Seattle's been looking scary lately, which worries me for us.
Better yes, not sure about “scary.” They haven’t lost since 6/30 vs Portland, but also the only good team they have played since then was Atlanta. That’s not to say Sunday will be a cakewalk, just that I still think if we actually play well, we should be able to get at least a point

Last edited:
Better yes, not sure about “scary.” They haven’t lost since 6/30 vs Portland, but also the only good team they have played since then was Atlanta. That’s not to say Sunday will be a cakewalk, just that I still think if we actually play well, we should be able to get at least a point
I mean, I guess Montreal was similar- they had won like was it 4 or 5? but they were all against bad teams, and we brushed 'em aside. So we'll see. I'm quite confident for tonight, however.

--
On another note, remember how in 2016 we beat RB 2-0 at home, and they went on undefeated after that until the post-season? I hope it doesn't happen again.

It's always Elfath, isn't it.

But yeah, I don't see how that was a red- it was dangerous, for sure, but was it red? no. Yellow, definitely. Not red.
What sucks for Houston is that they were bossing that game. They were a few bad/unlucky finishes short of complete control when the red was awarded.

Reactions: Shwafta
I mean, I guess Montreal was similar- they had won like was it 4 or 5? but they were all against bad teams, and we brushed 'em aside. So we'll see. I'm quite confident for tonight, however.

--
On another note, remember how in 2016 we beat RB 2-0 at home, and they went on undefeated after that until the post-season? I hope it doesn't happen again.
Worth keeping in mind that Montreal sat a few of their regulars against us in that mid-week game.

Still, it’s true that with less parity in the league, you can’t anoint a winning streak as a sign of improvement when it comes against bottom feeders.

This Saturday, Atlanta has it's second toughest remaining game, at Montreal. Montreal is 7-3-0 at home this year.

NJ has it's 6th easiest remaining game this year home against Columbus, who is 2-5-3 on the road this year. Edit: considering NJ's home/away form, this would be their 5th easiest remaining game (SJ earns 0.67 PPG at home, but NJ earns 0.9 PPG less when on the road).

Twellman’s “Brad@ rant was mildly entertaining. I liked that they gave it a shot.

It’s not popular, and I don’t think he’s a great analyst, but I just kind of like Taylor. Which is probably a big factor in explaining why Taylor is where he is.

Hell, when you consider who is named Taylor, might explain why all of them are where they are.

I watched Horta's back pass multiple times trying to figure out if there was ever a way it would not be a disaster, and the answer is no.
That's a pass of a player being pressed, unsure what to do. "I'll just hit it back, some defender'll get it!"
Reminds me of Mishu's back pass that Villa picked up two years ago that started our 3-2 victory

Reactions: mgarbowski
Minnesota is now on the cusp of the West’s 6th place playoff spot. Couldn’t care in the least about them from a club perspective, although they are scoring some amazing goals right now, but from a league perspective it will/would be great if they qualify in their 2nd year and vindicate their slow-and-see approach, also while jumping ahead of Orlando as a successful expansion organization.

To clarify a tangent above, Orlando is in a position to be the worst club in the league, since Toronto with a win can jump them, and DC is definitely going to win more than lose now that they’re playing at home. And while SJ is ten pts back I still think they have a shot at overtaking the dumpster fire in central Florida.

Minnesota is now on the cusp of the West’s 6th place playoff spot. Couldn’t care in the least about them from a club perspective, although they are scoring some amazing goals right now, but from a league perspective it will/would be great if they qualify in their 2nd year and vindicate their slow-and-see approach, also while jumping ahead of Orlando as a successful expansion organization.

To clarify a tangent above, Orlando is in a position to be the worst club in the league, since Toronto with a win can jump them, and DC is definitely going to win more than lose now that they’re playing at home. And while SJ is ten pts back I still think they have a shot at overtaking the dumpster fire in central Florida.
No matter how bad you think Orlando is, that last prediction is extreme. The math is terrible even if Orlando doesn't get one more point in its last 13 games. San Jose has been sub-dismal.

Can't believe LAFC blew it again from their pov at least it wasn't a loss. I watched the first half before having to go to bed (get up at 7 for work) I was pretty impressed by their play in the first half and I was rather impressed by the atmosphere. What do we attribute that to? The combination of a soccer specific stadium down town and a large Latin population?

Can't believe LAFC blew it again from their pov at least it wasn't a loss. I watched the first half before having to go to bed (get up at 7 for work) I was pretty impressed by their play in the first half and I was rather impressed by the atmosphere. What do we attribute that to? The combination of a soccer specific stadium down town and a large Latin population?
went to sleep at 1-0 and was like "alright LAFC took it"

Can't believe LAFC blew it again from their pov at least it wasn't a loss. I watched the first half before having to go to bed (get up at 7 for work) I was pretty impressed by their play in the first half
LAFC have no impressive wins. Their record is solid, but the best they have done against quality teams or in derby games is to draw. If you want to count the USOC win against Portland, that was mostly their starting unit against a heavily rotated Timber team. LAFC saved their squad rotation for Minnesota the following weekend and were blown out.
They go to Harrison next, and host SKC after that. Would love to see them get a result against the Red Bulls but I'm not counting on it.

Reactions: Ulrich