NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Both would leave us with just one international spot, so I'm nervous it's one or the other to save spots for EDS loanees. I much prefer Teixiera to Matarrita. That said, I suppose I much prefer Matarrita to a second EDS loanee. Get it done, Reyna.

We have 10 spots this calendar year. 6 are currently filled: Johansen, Iraola, Villa, Pirlo, Lampard, Mena. With Matarrita that makes 7 spots. Teixiera would be 8. That leaves 2 for international players, EDS or otherwise.

Jack Harrison doesn't look like he's counted as international.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2016

Reactions: Paul and sbrylski
We have 10 spots this calendar year. 6 are currently filled: Johansen, Iraola, Villa, Pirlo, Lampard, Mena. With Matarrita that makes 7 spots. Teixiera would be 8. That leaves 2 for international players, EDS or otherwise.

Jack Harrison doesn't look like he's counted as international.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2016

Johansen seems like a waste of a spot. Nothing against him as a player but wasting an international slot on a back up GK is just unnecessary. Especially when you add in the fact that gk is the position with the most american talent.

So with Matarrita locked down without TAM, how are we gonna use it? It looks as if the Texeiera deal will require it, but that still leaves us with a lot. I realize we're gonna take one or two EDS or two on loan and we need a third keeper, but the less EDS loanees the better IMO.

Reactions: JayH and gbservis
So with Matarrita locked down without TAM, how are we gonna use it? It looks as if the Texeiera deal will require it, but that still leaves us with a lot. I realize we're gonna take one or two EDS or two on loan and we need a third keeper, but the less EDS loanees the better IMO.

Depending on the formation we plan to play I think we could use one more proven attacking player. Either a winger if we are going with the 4-3-3 as it seems or at target striker if we plan to play a 2 striker set up. We have high up side players that should get time in Harrison, Shelton and Mullins but one more proven guy for stability would be helpful especially if Villa gets injured at any point during the season.

Reactions: Ulrich
Isn't TAM for one player, who'd be a DP without it but with it goes below the MLS salary maximum? Mix, in other words. I thought General Allocation Money was a separate fund that's usable for, well, general cap reduction purposes.

Isn't TAM for one player, who'd be a DP without it but with it goes below the MLS salary maximum? Mix, in other words. I thought General Allocation Money was a separate fund that's usable for, well, general cap reduction purposes.

It has to be a new signing or a re-signing. You can't apply TAM to an existing contract, only GAM. And you can't use both at the same time.

TAM is supposed to incentivize spending on new acquisitions or preventing people from leaving when their contract expires.

It has to be a new signing or a re-signing. You can't apply TAM to an existing contract, only GAM. And you can't use both at the same time.

TAM is supposed to incentivize spending on new acquisitions or preventing people from leaving when their contract expires.
Got it. Thanks.

Hey Robinho (remember him?) apparently left his club in China after 6 months. I'm sure the Twitter journos will mention MLS and us without understanding how the salary cap and international spots work.

Reactions: SlimShadyRus
We have Mena and now Matarrita. Texeiera is likely coming to NYCFC soon. MCFC's Demichelis wanted to come to NYCFC and Tefu was a target last season. Off all these defenders, what's their want for the team?

Last edited:
Depending on the formation we plan to play I think we could use one more proven attacking player. Either a winger if we are going with the 4-3-3 as it seems or at target striker if we plan to play a 2 striker set up. We have high up side players that should get time in Harrison, Shelton and Mullins but one more proven guy for stability would be helpful especially if Villa gets injured at any point during the season.
We did get that guy. Tony Taylor.

We have Mena and now Matarrita. Texeiera is likely coming to NYCFC soon. MCFC's Demichelis wanted to come to NYCFC and Tefu was a target last season. Off all these defenders, what's their want for the team?
Great playing time opportunity for any defender coming to NYCFC! Hopefully that will change.

Plus, TAM can be used on multiple contracts. You can use the $800,000 to buy 4 contracts down from $600,000 to $400,000, 2 contracts from $700,000 to $300,000, or one contract from $1,000,000 to $200,000.

I also tend to believe that within all the Byzantine MLS rules there is some way for us to use TAM on Mix, even though the contract is a year old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Plus, TAM can be used on multiple contracts. You can use the $800,000 to buy 4 contracts down from $600,000 to $400,000, 2 contracts from $700,000 to $300,000, or one contract from $1,250,000 to $450,000.

I also tend to believe that within all the Byzantine MLS rules there is some way for us to use TAM on Mix, even though the contract is a year old.
TAM can't be used on contracts over a million. If we could use TAM on Mix's contract we would have used it last year.

TAM can't be used on contracts over a million.

Right. Forgot that point. Corrected above.

If we could use TAM on Mix's contract we would have used it last year.

It's possible that we did, although I think the original TAM was put into place after the season started. Mix's contract is exactly the kind that TAM is meant for except that is slightly predates TAM's creation.

If we could use TAM on Mix's contract we would have used it last year.
Right. Forgot that point. Corrected above.
Overall I agree, we probably can't use it on Mix. But, circling back to Gator's original point which was his speculation that we could figure out a way to use TAM on Mix despite it not being a new contract, I think if that were the only obstacle he might have been right. We could maybe mutually agree to tear up the old contract and re-sign him (TAM works for re-signing current players) on a new revised contract, maybe paying him some nominal higher amount (10k?) to justify it. Who knows. MLS might actually enforce something and say no but it would be worth a try. But doing anything like that midseason last year would be too overtly ridiculous even for MLS I think.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
We did get that guy. Tony Taylor.

He said proven. I'm ready to be pleasantly surprised by Taylor again this preseason, but I don't want to rely on it.

Optimism is gripping the boards lately. We are all penciling in Teixeira, Matarrita, Mena, Shelton, Harrison, and now Taylor as wild successes.

Remember last year at this time when we were doing that with Nemec, Mendoza, Calle, et. al.?

Say Teixeira battles injuries, Matarrita and Mena have large holes in their game, and Shelton and Harrison both play extremely unpolished. Suddenly our defense is just as bad as last year, and our offense is just as one dimensional, relying on Villa. We could definitely use more proven depth to help prevent this.

EDIT: Happy Monday.

Last edited: