Nycfc V Montreal Motm & Post-game

He's pointing out the obvious. Grabavoy didn't give up any of those goals. But there was no reason he should of started with who we had on the bench. But that's another argument. The defense has SERIOUS issues.

Magnus constantly posts smug posts acting like hes some genius on these forums. He didnt mention the lineup, how some of our best players were benched, or how grabavoy offered nothing goong forward. Attacking grabavoy or kreis hurts his legitimacy because all he has done is talk them up since the begining of these forums. One could make a strong argument our shit midfield first half played just as much as a role on our loss than anything our backline did or didnt do

I couldn't agree with this more, but in light of the reception Lampard received when he was subbed in, I wonder what the reaction would have been had Kreis not played Lampard.
I'm more curious what the result would have been had he started the best 11. Ugh. I don't want to harp, but I can't help it. It's just so beyond the pale. I am searching for a reason. I can't find one other than he's suffering from a very serious brain issue (don't laugh, it happened to my brother's coach in college. Coach was a regional legend in the game, and all of the sudden became like Kreis this year. At the end of the year, an inoperable brain tumor was discovered) or else he is consciously or subconsciously self-sabotaging because he doesn't want to be here.

What are my other options? I want to know, in all seriousness.

Edited to clarify it was my brother's coach, not my brother who had the brain tumor.

Last edited:
He's pointing out the obvious. Grabavoy didn't give up any of those goals. But there was no reason he should of started with who we had on the bench. But that's another argument. The defense has SERIOUS issues.
It was only poor finishing that kept Grabavoy from being directly responsible for goals. He kept us on the back foot. He was as singlehandedly responsible for defensive breakdowns as an CAM could be. He also has no concept of finding workable, positive space. He didn't offer himself as an option on a run, nor did he offer himself as a short option. He exhibited a less than elementary understanding of the game. He was his typical waste of a slot in the eleven. We'd likely have been better playing with 10.

Anyway, let's not detract from today's real loser. #kreisis.

If Calle and T-Mac were rewarded, why wasn't Poku rewarded as well? He had 3 assists last game! It doesn't make sense
Just like when Poku scored 3 times in 2 games and was benched...

giphy.gif

The forum needs more Benny Hill in times like these.

I think the defense's biggest issue with the centerbacks is that there has been no consistent pairing all year. When Hernandez and Facey were paired for weeks straight, they were actually pretty good. Communication is certainly lacking. Give Mena and Facey or whoever back there time to gel and I think the defense will be at least serviceable
We had a great run with Hernandez and Facey. Just really strange to break that up.

We had a great run with Hernandez and Facey. Just really strange to break that up.
It was cause of the injury to Hernandez wasn't it? Granted I could be confused and know even less then I do usually.
Still wonder the reasons for dropping Facey.

What makes me want to point the finger at Kreis beyond the lineup selection is that our defenders are much better than at the start of the season, but our defense is not. What else explains that than bad coaching?

This is an MLS Championship side is we signed Terry instead of Lampard.

And besides, picking a player isn't a sack-able offence. Even if he picked Grabavoy every game for the rest of the season it wouldn't be grounds to fire him, sorry guys.
Yes it would. If you build your team around a handful of top quality players but you start other players over those players consistently despite the fact that your players produce garbage results, that is grounds for firing. If everyone thinks one way and you are the only person thinking another way, you are either a genius or an idiot.

Go look at the formation speculation thread. You have to go back 80 entries to find someone suggesting Grabavoy in the lineup. Take a wild guess who it was.
Kreis' world XI:

Neuer
Lahm Ramos Thiago Wingert
Pogba Iniesta Grabavoy
Messi Aguero Ronaldo
See kun, even you think this is insane. So if we all think the same thing here, either we're all idiots or Kreis is.

One more point for the record.

NYC 0 - MTL 2
score with kreis starting XI

NYC 2 - MTL 1
score once the reasonable XI were in

BTW, if we lose with Mix starting, fine. Live with it. I can understand having different views for when Poku is most useful in a game even if I disagree. But MIX MUST START. Holy crap on a stick.

I wanted to say that jacobson was a ghost and gave us nothing defensively or in terms of distribution. I hope this shuts up the "jacobsen is our unsung savior crowd" Pirlo didnt need him, pirlo needed real midfielders who unfortunately were benched. Fuck kreism

I watched Jacobson for a while not really having noticed him before. He's a hider. As soon as NYC get the ball he makes sure there's a defender between him and the passer, then complains when he doesn't get the ball. Whenever the opposition have the ball he's on his own in a ton of space marking no-one. He always arrives at the scene just after the ball has gone, looking like he'd have saved the day if he'd just got there a fraction earlier. He's had 2 shots on goal and 1 assist in his 20 games this season. Very nice bloke though, apparently.

As for positives:

I'm five pounds lighter.

I'm five shades darker.

As a result of the heat, I decided not to take my three year old to his first game. Wouldn't have been able to unring that bell.

At least five people asked to take a picture of my Pirlo t-shirt. Each time I could tell they were cutting out my head.

The picture I posted on Facebook of me and my buddy at the game got at least 12 likes.

Day game doesn't cut into Saturday night plans. 1Oak awaits. Or Netflix with a tub of ice cream as I massage my wife's feet.

Mr. Bright side.

I watched Jacobson for a while not really having noticed him before. He's a hider. As soon as NYC get the ball he makes sure there's a defender between him and the passer, then complains when he doesn't get the ball. Whenever the opposition have the ball he's on his own in a ton of space marking no-one. He always arrives at the scene just after the ball has gone, looking like he'd have saved the day if he'd just got there a fraction earlier. He's had 2 shots on goal and 1 assist in his 20 games this season. Very nice bloke though, apparently.

So in other words hes a fucking prick...

I feel physically sickened after what happened today. I should be checked into New York Presbyterian. Everything terrible that could have happened today did (except for an injury, though one to Ned Grabavoy would be nice). The highlight of the day was the I Love Lamp mini-tifo. I write my response in order of terribleness from least to most. And it honestly may be out of order, like I said, physically sick.

The Angelino-Villa-Angelino-TMac combo for the 2nd goal was one of the most beautiful plays we've put together. On the overhead replay it looks even more spectacular.

It was good to see Lampard finally on the field for NYCFC. He was rusty but with time he will be able to mesh with Pirlo, Villa, Mix, Poku & Co. He had brief moments of brilliance today.

The applause to success ratio of Pirlo's corner kicks were a bit off. Too much applause to for little success. But yeah, he's a living legend, he's going to get the applause.

Tim Cahill was in the NYCFC locker room taking photos of himself and his kids with Pirlo and Lampard. I'm sorry, but I don't think Manchester City lets ex-Manchester United players in their locker room to take pictures with Hart, Aguero, and Yaya. Nobody in their right mind should allow an ex-Red Bull to infiltrate the NYCFC locker room.

I do not think our CBs selections have played more than 3 games together. Wingert-Facey, Facey-Hernandez, Facey-Hernandez, Menu-Hernandez, Menu-Facey. Yes, Menu-Facey didn't look too good versus Orlando, but against a speed team like Montreal, you cannot put Hernandez in that role. Especially when Jacobson came off the field for Lampard, Montreal had a lot of counters that got very dangerous.

Saunders made mistakes, which in part was due to the lack of awareness/timing/togetherness of the CBs. The first goal was absolutely Saunders fault. Commit. Even if the ball ends up in the goal, commit. Going to both plays half the time leads to nothing all the time.

There may be too many voices in the ear of Jason Kreis (I'll get to him later). This is a team for stars to be on the field. In the MLSsoccer.com article, Kreis said his training staff thought Lampard should only play 20 minutes. It then said they negotiated to have him play 25 minutes. CFG wants stars to be on the field. I could care less if we have 1 or 3 DPs on the field. I just want a team that wins. CFG, Claudio Reyna, Training Staff, and least on the totem poll, the fans. We wouldn't be complaining if Lampard didn't play if we would have won today.

That Piatti PK call was bullshit. Saunders was in the process of gaining possession and it looks as if Piatti kicked Saunders before Saunders half went and "accidentally" grabbed Piatti who dove. I hope to see this overturned on Instant Replay. Simon Borg can't change the outcome of games, but the refereeing of this match was all over the place and absolutely terrible.

I like to also call attention to the Oduro penalty. He was "injured" and fell to the ground. The training staff came on and we went to the non-bench sideline. He walks back onto the field, the ref didn't seem to let him back on, and immediately charges and fouls Pirlo. I don't see how this isn't a yellow card. Iraola pulled the same bullshit a few weeks ago when he was sent to the sidelines and then came on when the ball was going towards him.

Pending any tactical changes to match up better against an opponent, our best formation seems to clearly be a 4-2-3-1. Angelino and Iraola are clear at the wings. Menu and Facey appear to be the right CBs. Pirlo and Jacobson work well together as the 2. Villa is is the 1 up top. The 3 is the difficult part. You have many options here: Lampard, Mix, Poku, TMac, Calle, even Mullins, Khiry (if we want to keep Villa on the field). However, Grabavoy is not a net positive to this team. We are not running the RSL system in New York City. We are running the CFG system in New York City. Jason Kreis's choice of Grabavoy over Mix Diskerud or Kwadwo Poku is an absolutely disgrace to this club, its fans and the city it represents.

I do not trust that Jason Kreis can lead NYCFC to an MLS Cup victory. And if he can't do that, there's no point in having him be the coach of this team.

As Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan said, I do not think Jason Kreis can handle the pressure to perform consistently in New York. I don't care that it's only been a year, or that new/star players are only on the squad now. Every MLSsoccer.com reporter picked us to win this game. I don't think this was an upset for Montreal. This was just a let down at the hands of Jason Kreis and what he put on the field.

As I said in the pregame thread, Mix and Poku seemed visibly upset that they weren't starting. If there isn't a players only meeting at some point soon, there is a problem with the club. Though, Ned Grabavoy would be a rat and tell Kreis everything. I'm full #KreisOut #NoMoreNed. Yes, we will win more games this season, but I don't think that it will be at the genius of Kreis.

As for the playoffs, I'm not putting any hope in that anymore. I think we're too far out with not enough time and not in the right mindset. If we do great, I will be happy. But it's not working now, maybe 2016. CFG invested a shitload in this club. Villa-Pirlo-Lampard ends after 2016, if we don't win an MLS Cup or Supporters Shield, this would have been a complete failure...

I demand a team that wins games, not just sells jerseys.

For the sake of my health, I'm going to try and not want/read too many highlights, reports, videos, etc. etc. of this match. And if we lose or even really tie the Red Bulls next week, it's going to be long time until March 2016 for the next campaign, hopefully under a different coach and system.

Last edited:
As for positives:

I'm five pounds lighter.

I'm five shades darker.

As a result of the heat, I decided not to take my three year old to his first game. Wouldn't have been able to unring that bell.

At least five people asked to take a picture of my Pirlo t-shirt. Each time I could tell they were cutting out my head.

The picture I posted on Facebook of me and my buddy at the game got at least 12 likes.

Day game doesn't cut into Saturday night plans. 1Oak awaits. Or Netflix with a tub of ice cream as I massage my wife's feet.

Mr. Bright side.
We got takeout and an 18 pack to go along with our ice cream. And I confessed to being too depressed for sex. You know it's bad when you turn down sex as a married man.

Back