Official Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many guys do we think are taken? I am going to say we end up taking 6 players only and end up with 3 MCFC youths. That would give us 15 players, plus one more DP and two more international signings

The most exciting part of this, to me, is when the expansion draft is over, we will know the holes in the roster and then can start reasonably guessing who the MCFC youths are. If we are blatantly missing a RB, is there an MCFC right back? If we are missing a ST or RW, is there someone that can fill those spots (Nacho and Donyeh for instance).

How many guys do we think are taken? I am going to say we end up taking 6 players only and end up with 3 MCFC youths. That would give us 15 players, plus one more DP and two more international signings

The most exciting part of this, to me, is when the expansion draft is over, we will know the holes in the roster and then can start reasonably guessing who the MCFC youths are. If we are blatantly missing a RB, is there an MCFC right back? If we are missing a ST or RW, is there someone that can fill those spots (Nacho and Donyeh for instance).

I think that you are being overly optimistic about MCFC youths as starters. Remember, regardless how talented they are, they still are developing. In many aspects of the game (specially mentally) a player with solid MLS experience will beat a youth from a foreign country, with little pro experience. Many EPL youth go to leagues as far as League 2 (4 tier on the English pyramid), that I believe is far below MLS level.

Look, we're taking all 10. No reason not to. You want to flush out your squad with some depth and even if the Man City academy kids come over like gangbusters we'll want to have good backups for rotation/injury issues. Moreover, these young kids can form the foundation for the club going forward, as the Man City kids will by their nature come and go, staying w/ NYCFC for two seasons top most likely.

Does anybody know what time the Expansion Draft starts tomorrow?

Look, we're taking all 10. No reason not to. You want to flush out your squad with some depth and even if the Man City academy kids come over like gangbusters we'll want to have good backups for rotation/injury issues. Moreover, these young kids can form the foundation for the club going forward, as the Man City kids will by their nature come and go, staying w/ NYCFC for two seasons top most likely.
I agree we definitely need to take all ten, no reason not to. Even if we won't use the last 3 or 4 selected they can be loaned out to lower division or used to trade. Remember last expansion draft when Montreal drafted Brian Ching with no intention of playing him. They later sold him back to Houston for a sizable amount of allocation money.

Actually, here is a decent article where Kreis talks briefly about how many players he will select and the process in general: http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/ins...mls-expansion-draft-2015-debut-feature-120914

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Another player no one has mentioned is Conor Doyle at DC. I know he didn't feature much this year for DC but he is a product of the Derby County youth system and used to be part of the U.S youth teams. Playing under Jason could help him reach his potential.

1) I never said that the MCFC kids would start. Just that they would fill weaknesses. If we have zeroed in on 3 kids, you won't see the team take two players at those positions
2) With the trades from yesterday, we can't take anyone from Columbus, Vancouver or DC. So we might only get 8 chances, if my math is correct, as Orlando has "non'draft deals" with 4 squads by my count.

Reactions: NYJaguar
Another player no one has mentioned is Conor Doyle at DC. I know he didn't feature much this year for DC but he is a product of the Derby County youth system and used to be part of the U.S youth teams. Playing under Jason could help him reach his potential.
Isn't DC the team we got international slots from in exchange for not hitting them up? I could be wrong, this process is confusing

Reactions: Kjbert
I guess this is when it begins to get serious for NYC

It will be good to see what the squad looks like after the selections.

As for loans from City I think one could be Jordi Hiuwla. He is now 20 and was at Yeovil on loan, but it was cut short. Apparently had planty of chances but only scored once. Now this may not sound great to you guys, but for me Hiwula is a good finisher and has pace to burn. He does need to improve his overall game, but I think 2 years in the MLS would help.

Possibly another player maybe Shay Facey who is aslo 20 and can play right back or has a central defender.

Those two would make sense as they are at the age when they need to be challenging themselves and playing first team football.

Something else about MCFC loanees: they follow MCFC's agenda not ours. I feel that is more about the players that they want to send than the player that we want.

Reactions: Kjbert
Something else about MCFC loanees: they follow MCFC's agenda not ours. I feel that is more about the players that they want to send than the player that we want.

I don't believe Kries sounds like the sort of guy that would take players he didn't rate.

As much as City would like to loan players, those players would have to be able to offer something to NYC or else they wouldn't get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.