Official Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, not sure where I read it, but Reyna said they plan to use all 10 picks, keep 5 or 6, and use the others for trade bait.
For those who think we're not going to take all of our 10 picks, I'm pretty sure I read something earlier saying that the club intended to take some players just for the ability to trade them on later, so I'm pretty sure all ten will be used.
http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/ins...mls-expansion-draft-2015-debut-feature-120914
Kreis and NYCFC director of football operations Claudio Reyna say they want to pick up as many players with MLS experience as possible. Reyna said they will use all 10 slots in the draft. The plan involves keeping “five, six, maybe seven guys,” while using the rest as trade bait. By the end of the year, the club hopes to have 16 to 18 players under contract.

Sorry for the multiple posts.

SI's mock draft:
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...t-new-york-city-fc-orlando-city-sc-nycfc-ocsc
Notes: Cahill? Not so sure about that.

Ben Jata's mock draft:
https://twitter.com/Ben_Jata/status/542472537054408706
B4c_5cOCEAAbslj.jpg

I like it, mostly. Its possible. No Luyindula makes me happy.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
To an earlier question, yes you can use allocation to "buy down" a players salary. So for example, Eddie Johnson makes around $650k now. So if NYCFC used $400k of their allocation (no one knows how much they have) then in theory Johnson is no longer costs above the $387k DP threshold. This is how players on other teams are making more than 387k and aren't DPs.

Total MLS also did one:
http://total-mls.com/2014-articles/mock-expansion-draft.html

Except for maybe Cato and Piermayr, I can see this one happening. Ned Grabavoy a popular #1 choice among the mock drafts.

1. Orlando – Corey Ashe. Houston protects Mark Sherrod.

2. NYCFC – Ned Grabavoy. RSL protects Chris Wingert.

3. Orlando – Ben Speas. Columbus protects Eric Gehrig

4. NYCFC – Patrick Mullins. New England protects Steve Neumann

5. Orlando – Jorge Claros. Sporting KC protects Eric Kronberg

6. NYCFC – Dan Gargan. LA protects Todd Dunivant

7. Orlando – Yannick Djalo. San Jose protects Adam Jahn,

8. NYCFC – Gaston Fernandez. Portland protects Jack Jewsbury.

9. Orlando – Antoine Hoppenot. Philadelphia protects Pedro Ribeiro

10. NYCFC – Jorge Villafana. Portland out.

11. Orlando – Bright Dike. Toronto protects Mark Bloom.

12. NYCFC – Michael Azira. Seattle protects Dylan Remick.

13. Orlando – Benji Joya. Chicago protects Kyle Reynish.

14. NYCFC – David Horst. Houston is out.

15. Orlando – Aaron Maund. RSL is out.

16. NYCFC – Cordell Cato. San Jose out.

17. Orlando – Kevan George. Columbus is out.

18. NYCFC – Thomas Piermayr. Colorado protects Grant van de Casteele.

19. Orlando – Jalil Anibaba. Seattle is out.

20. NYCFC – Zac MacMath. Draft is complete.

Djalo has the skill, but the kid is made of glass and rumors are that he's leaving MLS. Would like to see Cato in NY. Gordon has been off the radar in all the mock drafts Ive seen, but I think he could be a great sleeper pick.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Djalo has the skill, but the kid is made of glass and rumors are that he's leaving MLS. Would like to see Cato in NY. Gordon has been off the radar in all the mock drafts Ive seen, but I think he could be a great sleeper pick.
Djalo is only on there because Orlando has been linked to him because of their relationship with his parent club, Benfica. But totally agree, glass-hips.

So the plan is basically draft all 10 guys, keep 6 or 7 and sell the rest for allocation money right?

Reactions: Kjbert
Djalo is only on there because Orlando has been linked to him because of their relationship with his parent club, Benfica. But totally agree, glass-hips.
Ahh makes sense. Will always love him for his game winner for the Quakes against Seattle at Levi's Stadium. Pretty much the only bright spot in a dreadful season for us.

So the plan is basically draft all 10 guys, keep 6 or 7 and sell the rest for allocation money right?
Something like that. Other teams might want trade players on their roster for ones that NYCFC manages to pick up tomorrow. Some players might not want to come to terms with NYCFC. A good example is AJ Soares of NE Revs. Basically he is the concensus #1 defender in this expansion draft. NYCFC could take him. But he has a Italian passport so he could easily get a Euro spot in Europe. And he has told everyone that is his intention this off-season. So NYC takes him but never signs him.

i think NYC will be smarter than that and go after guys they want or know they can sign to trade.

To an earlier question, yes you can use allocation to "buy down" a players salary. So for example, Eddie Johnson makes around $650k now. So if NYCFC used $400k of their allocation (no one knows how much they have) then in theory Johnson is no longer costs above the $387k DP threshold. This is how players on other teams are making more than 387k and aren't DPs.
And this allocation money also makes the player's goals count double? Because that's the only reason we should take any available DP. Might need to make it triple for GAM.

And this allocation money also makes the player's goals count double? Because that's the only reason we should take any available DP. Might need to make it triple for GAM.
and Macmath would definitely start with Saunders being a solid backup IMO

Another thought on the draft. NYCFC might sign someone today to trade immediately to teams they got players from. For example, NYC might draft Kenny Cooper and flip him to say Colombus as part of the Williams transfer.

Just something to think about today.

If we can buy down Eddie Johnson's salary to 200k, how do you NOT make that pick? There's a ton of talent there. He needs to start, but in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 it can work even if you bring in a guy like Nacho because Villa could play wide left

Today really is a busy day for the league. Just saw on mlssoccer.com that after the draft ends today a trade window opens up until 5:00 PM tomorrow.

The site also says there's a Waiver Draft taking place today too. Can that be a misprint and this draft takes place tomorrow?
December 10, 2014 - MLS Expansion Draft

December 10, 2014 - Trade Window opens at the end of Expansion Draft; closes on December 11, 2014, at 5 pm ET

December 10, 2014 – MLS Waiver Draft

i thought waiver draft was going to happen friday? and the second part of it was happening next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.