Official Expansion Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe Kries sounds like the sort of guy that would take players he didn't rate.

As much as City would like to loan players, those players would have to be able to offer something to NYC or else they wouldn't get a game.

Of course, there would be some negotiating but MCFC has more power here.

I don't believe Kries sounds like the sort of guy that would take players he didn't rate.

As much as City would like to loan players, those players would have to be able to offer something to NYC or else they wouldn't get a game.

You don't loan players to sit on the bench. You always loan a player with a hope of regular starting time. With NCYFC and MCFC, that's going to be more an expectation because of the relationship.

You don't loan players to sit on the bench. You always loan a player with a hope of regular starting time. With NCYFC and MCFC, that's going to be more an expectation because of the relationship.

Well I only see that happening if they are good enough.

The first thing that everyone will want is a successful team. You only get that by allowing a manager to manage as he see's fit. If players are loaned to NYC it will have to be a minimum of a season, so that they can get used to the new surroundings. With this in mind it will have to be players who are a little older.

We don't have a lot of players over 20 int he EDS and those who are, have already been loaned out for the season as far as I am aware.

As I said before I would plump for Hiwula and Facey as I feel they may be able to adapt better than some of the younger ones.

Well I only see that happening if they are good enough.

The first thing that everyone will want is a successful team. You only get that by allowing a manager to manage as he see's fit. If players are loaned to NYC it will have to be a minimum of a season, so that they can get used to the new surroundings. With this in mind it will have to be players who are a little older.

We don't have a lot of players over 20 int he EDS and those who are, have already been loaned out for the season as far as I am aware.

As I said before I would plump for Hiwula and Facey as I feel they may be able to adapt better than some of the younger ones.

Sure, but I think that's why you bring in Kreis. Kreis will only want players good enough to be able to play in MLS and he's got the experience to know if they are. The relationship between the clubs means Kreis can be honest about who can and can't cut it.

I'd be on board with that draft even with the Cahill pick. Sure, he may have crapped out last year with the Red Bulls, but he most likely would still be head and shoulders better than anyone else available at that spot.

I view it as a no harm no foul selection. What's the worse than can happen, he goes back to Australia? Maybe he was pissed off at losing his minutes last season and getting the chance to start over with Villa and Lampard will be just what the doctor ordered.

Either way I'd take the flier and pick him at that spot if he was available.

I'd be on board with that draft even with the Cahill pick. Sure, he may have crapped out last year with the Red Bulls, but he most likely would still be head and shoulders better than anyone else available at that spot.

I view it as a no harm no foul selection. What's the worse than can happen, he goes back to Australia? Maybe he was pissed off at losing his minutes last season and getting the chance to start over with Villa and Lampard will be just what the doctor ordered.

Either way I'd take the flier and pick him at that spot if he was available.
using the 3rd DP spot? No thanks

I thought the draft was happening behind closed doors, but it looks like it will be streaming. On a scale from "jersey reveal party" to "MLS Expansion Priority Draft", how awkward do you think it will be?

Reactions: Kjbert
I thought the draft was happening behind closed doors, but it looks like it will be streaming. On a scale from "jersey reveal party" to "MLS Expansion Priority Draft", how awkward do you think it will be?
Combination of both, MLs and most teams need to hire broadcast staff.

For those who think we're not going to take all of our 10 picks, I'm pretty sure I read something earlier saying that the club intended to take some players just for the ability to trade them on later, so I'm pretty sure all ten will be used.

For those who think we're not going to take all of our 10 picks, I'm pretty sure I read something earlier saying that the club intended to take some players just for the ability to trade them on later, so I'm pretty sure all ten will be used.

Yeah, not sure where I read it, but Reyna said they plan to use all 10 picks, keep 5 or 6, and use the others for trade bait.

If anyone is interested, here are the guidelines set for tomorrow:
Here are the Expansion Draft guidelines and rules, as laid out by the MLS Player Department.

Rounds

• There will be ten (10) rounds.
Selection Clock

• NYCFC and Orlando City are permitted three (3) minutes to make each selection.
  • Once the Player has been selected, the club that “lost” the player is permitted two (2) minutes to add a new player to their protected roster.
Intermission

• There will be a two (2) minute intermission between the fifth and sixth rounds (i.e., after the 10th pick).
Timeouts

• There will be NO timeouts during the Expansion Draft.
Failure to Make Selection in Designated Time

• Expansion clubs that fail to make their selection in time must wait until their next pick to make a selection.
  • Clubs that fail to add a player to their protected roster in time will lose their ability to do so.
Trades

• No trades are permitted during the Expansion Draft.

Total MLS also did one:
http://total-mls.com/2014-articles/mock-expansion-draft.html

Except for maybe Cato and Piermayr, I can see this one happening. Ned Grabavoy a popular #1 choice among the mock drafts.

1. Orlando – Corey Ashe. Houston protects Mark Sherrod.

2. NYCFC – Ned Grabavoy. RSL protects Chris Wingert.

3. Orlando – Ben Speas. Columbus protects Eric Gehrig

4. NYCFC – Patrick Mullins. New England protects Steve Neumann

5. Orlando – Jorge Claros. Sporting KC protects Eric Kronberg

6. NYCFC – Dan Gargan. LA protects Todd Dunivant

7. Orlando – Yannick Djalo. San Jose protects Adam Jahn,

8. NYCFC – Gaston Fernandez. Portland protects Jack Jewsbury.

9. Orlando – Antoine Hoppenot. Philadelphia protects Pedro Ribeiro

10. NYCFC – Jorge Villafana. Portland out.

11. Orlando – Bright Dike. Toronto protects Mark Bloom.

12. NYCFC – Michael Azira. Seattle protects Dylan Remick.

13. Orlando – Benji Joya. Chicago protects Kyle Reynish.

14. NYCFC – David Horst. Houston is out.

15. Orlando – Aaron Maund. RSL is out.

16. NYCFC – Cordell Cato. San Jose out.

17. Orlando – Kevan George. Columbus is out.

18. NYCFC – Thomas Piermayr. Colorado protects Grant van de Casteele.

19. Orlando – Jalil Anibaba. Seattle is out.

20. NYCFC – Zac MacMath. Draft is complete.

What do you guys think of David Horst from Houston ?
Decent defender, a little hot headed. Was a SuperDraft pick by Kreis in Salt Lake, so a very likely pick. He got better once he left RSL (wasn't getting time behind Olave and Borchers).

I can see NYC going after him tomorrow.

Reactions: JDibby13 and Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.