WC Qualifiers - 2022

FIFA says Russia can play; imposes cosmetic penalties. Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic and England say FU, FIFA, hope you enjoy playing chicken.

will be interesting how this pans out. fifa probably doesn't want to lose that russian money in their pockets

I have to back FIFA here. Don't punish the people and players.
Opinions will differ. I take the other side. You use the levers you have. "Punishing the people and players" in this case is what FIFA can do, which then generates more public pressure and outcry within the country. It also sends a signal that what is happening isn't BAU.

I wish they had banned them.

Reactions: moogoo and JCMore
Opinions will differ. I take the other side. You use the levers you have. "Punishing the people and players" in this case is what FIFA can do, which then generates more public pressure and outcry within the country. It also sends a signal that what is happening isn't BAU.

I wish they had banned them.
I've thought more about it and I'm on the fence a bit. This being international soccer that is designed to showcase the best the country has to offer, I can see FIFA having somewhat of a humanitarian/peacekeeping role, and perhaps a ban would be effective.

One thing I disagree with, unrelated to FIFA, was Dominek Hasek making the assertion that the NHL should suspend all Russian players. Now that is insane. It kind of reminds of the hatred pushed upon Muslims because of the actions of terrorist groups.

I know a lot of Russians (and Ukrainian and other former Soviet state nationals) as we have large communities around me. Everyone hates Putin and the Kremlin, before this even got started.

I hate the idea of punishing uninvolved people. Sport is representative of people not government. Personally, I dont think Soccer is big enough in Russia to have any impact whatsoever on anyone's decision making in Moscow. However, they are representing the country, and im not sure if the flag and national anthem ban is enough.

Last edited:
I think this is the right decision under the circumstances.

That said, I can understand the reluctance from FIFA. This sets a precedent that others might use in less clear cut situations. Picture an Arab state refusing to play Israel or Russia refusing to play the U.S. after we invaded Iraq. FIFA is not set up to determine the relative merits of these disputes, and they would be terrible at it.

Hopefully, this is just a one off.

That said, I can understand the reluctance from FIFA. This sets a precedent that others might use in less clear cut situations. Picture an Arab state refusing to play Israel or Russia refusing to play the U.S. after we invaded Iraq. FIFA is not set up to determine the relative merits of these disputes, and they would be terrible at it.

I wanted to make this point earlier, but didn't want to minimize Russia's actions.
Why is Iran allowed in FIFA events? They should be on the 45th year of their ban.
FIFA is not the UN. This was a clear decision, but what happens when its not?

That is exactly why Israel (which is in Asia) has to compete in UEFA

INSANITY!

Italy misses a 2nd world cup in a row... after winning the euros too.. WOWWWWWWW

• Wow
Reactions: danger
INSANITY!

Italy misses a 2nd world cup in a row... after winning the euros too.. WOWWWWWWW
Should have been offside! The NM player was offside and clearly in a position to screen the keeper.

Should have been offside! The NM player was offside and clearly in a position to screen the keeper.

i think that'd be a pretty big stretch to say he was interfering with the keeper. they are still outside the box.

i think that'd be a pretty big stretch to say he was interfering with the keeper. they are still outside the box.
Yea, upon a better look (I initially saw it on someone else's cell phone) he was probably a couple feet over from being in an interfering position.

Italy had 32 shots.
Reminds me of that Spain vs Russia game where Spain lost.
1648174875585.png