What Happens To Mix?

sbrylski

Registered
Apr 24, 2014
Assuming Pirlo actually happens, our midfield is going to go thru a major midseason makeover. What happens to Mix?

Lampard and Pirlo unfortunately have two clear deficiencies - no pace, and few defensive qualities. As such, we need to fill out the rest of our midfield with two types of players - runners and a defensive mid to win back possession and prevent counter attacks. I don't see how one player can do both of these things simultaneously, so even though Mix can handle both duties, we need to pick one for him.

I personally think Jacobson has been sufficient in the defensive mid role so far this year, while our attacking mids have been abysmal (Grabavoy, Velasquez, Ballouchy, etc.) Therefore, I would play Mix forward to "fix" that spot and give Lampard and Pirlo a quality attacking midfielder to distribute to and play off.

On the other hand, Mix is also a developing distributor and an underrated tackler. Keeping him in his current deeper role next to Pirlo would be unquestionably the best possession midfield in the league. Runners are easier to find than more technical players like Mix, so we could throw anyone up in the attack with Lampard and Villa.

Where would you play Mix in our potential new midfield?

Play mix in the right side of the diamond like he did for the U.S. vs Mexico. Pirlo at the bottomed the diamond and Lampard at the top. Insert player x at the left side.

But is this enough defensive cover? I'll put Poku in at LCM just for fun:

hyr3dxw.png

I think both Mix and the LCM will have to be very conscious of one of them being in a position to help defensively at all times. It could work, but it puts a ton of pressure on the LB, LCM, RCM, and RB to simultaneously be runners forward and cover defensively.

Also improving at the CB position opposite Hernandez this summer could go a long, long way to making this formation viable. I agree that it is Kreis' ideal, I just worry that we have to be more creative with our lineup to cover for Pirlo and Lampard's pace deficiencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Regardless of where Mix plays short term, he needs to spend the year and a half or however long it turns out to be learning all the secrets of Pirlo-ism. The next decade of NYCFC and the USMNT depend on it.

Complicating things is the fact that Mix will leave for the gold cup around the time these guys arrive. Wont be until August that all these guys are on the field playing together.

Reactions: sbrylski
Who are the other two you have in mind, i'm afraid to ask?

You're right. Where does Poku fit in now?

Villa needs to be up top, no way he's dropping back to mid. I would like to see Khiry's speed along the side. Then, i'm lost for the remaining outside mid. Ballouchy or Jacobson? Perhaps Calle if he gets his shit together.

(work in progress)

I'd be willing to see:
----------Mix-----------
---Poku------Lampard---
---------Pirlo----------

I think the need for a very defensive midfielder is overrated. Jacobson is playing as a sweeper now more like a three man back line, so if that's what you want, then just do it. Otherwise, your CBs should provide all the defense you need in the center, and the primary responsibility of your CDM is distribution linking the back line with the midfield. That is our biggest problem right now, in my opinion. How many men can the other team commit to the attack when one turnover means Pirlo is about to pick a 30 yard pass to slice up your MLS defense?

I want to Mix in and around the 18 as much as possible, it takes advantage of his flair and his short passing ability.

Just looking at that midfield is making me excited.

As I've mentioned before I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to tactics, so what are the chances he falls back and plays a similar role that Shea plays with Orlando?

As I've mentioned before I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to tactics, so what are the chances he falls back and plays a similar role that Shea plays with Orlando?
Mix? Not in a million years. Totally different skill set. Shea is really fast, that and being big are his positive attributes, works as a fullback. Mix has vision and passing accuracy as his top attributes, I don;t know if he is fast enough to burn up and down the sidelines all game. Wasting him defensively anyway.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
We need defensive cover. And we need it bad. There isn't another team that I've seen that gives the other team's forwards so much space to run at our back line. It wouldn't be a huge problem if our back line had pace or defensive ability. Pirlo and Lampard are going to make this more apparent, I'm afraid, unless we try something else.

Reactions: MagnusPax