2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed on Allen. I like him, but I think it's true he's better on the right side. And probably best as a backup.

As for Poku, I really don't think he's a true CF. He doesn't play with his back to the goal, and doesn't keep the line. He's best out of a dribble. I think he's a CAM or, if he plays as a striker, a False 9 that drops deep to receive the ball (and then turn and dribble) or draw the centerbacks out to create running lanes for Villa and the other winger.
Looked pretty damn good as a CF versus Cosmos when we had Mix right behind him (after Kreis tried to put Ballouchy there at first). Of course, we never saw that again...

I used Google translate, which is always amusing. But, there is some very good stuff in there. Particularly his take on differences between MLS and Europe in such things as playoffs, parity and reporters in the locker room.

I used Google translate, which is always amusing. But, there is some very good stuff in there. Particularly his take on differences between MLS and Europe in such things as playoffs, parity and reporters in the locker room.
Google translate gave me "cattle" in there somewhere.

Reactions: Kjbert

One of the best things in there is Pirlo telling Villa on the first day they met that he shouldn't lose sight of him, even when he is far away. Basically he said even when I'm far away from you on the field, I can find you. Cool. Reminds me of that great run (against DC) where Pirlo took two touches and dropped a 60 yd ball right on Villas foot after he made a run.

One of the best things in there is Pirlo telling Villa on the first day they met that he shouldn't lose sight of him, even when he is far away. Basically he said even when I'm far away from you on the field, I can find you. Cool. Reminds me of that great run (against DC) where Pirlo took two touches and dropped a 60 yd ball right on Villas foot after he made a run.
that should have been goal of the year. On Pirlo's part and Villa's I've never seen such a combination of skill.

OMG I had to put my coffee down to read that translation of the Villa interview.
"It is not making excuses, but we had two almost separate computers."
Villa calling Pirlo "David." Calling himself a debutante. The aforementioned cattle and crack, plus all those pins.
And the philospohical: "We have come first with him."
Also, Villa freaked himself.

OMG I had to put my coffee down to read that translation of the Villa interview.
"It is not making excuses, but we had two almost separate computers."
Villa calling Pirlo "David." Calling himself a debutante. The aforementioned cattle and crack, plus all those pins.
And the philospohical: "We have come first with him."
Also, Villa freaked himself.
Lol yeah I learned in French class translation websites just don't work

Our best four mids are all CM. Villa is also leveraged best with a second striker. That leaves two formation options: 4-4-2 Diamond and 4-2-2-2.

We are a poor fit for the diamond. Have to go 4-2-2-2. Assuming minimal new blood:

Villa - FA ST
Lampard - Poku
Mix - Pirlo
Allen - Mena - FA CB - Iraola

Mix will have to keep a defensive focus, but he can definitely play the spot. I'd bring in a new DM if we have the money to do so, and have Mix rotate through all four midfield spots depending on where here's needed.

A narrow 4-2-2-2 should work phenomenally at home on our narrow pitch.

On bigger fields or against certain teams, we can bring in Shelton as an AM and have him play wider. Another wing type, or Tony Taylor, would be nice to have for depth. McNamara also slots well into the AM spots in the 4-2-2-2.
Why not 3-4-1-2, be bold

Ancelloti is available now.
Weren't we talking about Jose? His tactics with the US players' mentality and athleticism would give most any team huge fits.

Long-term, I want Pareja running the show for US Soccer. He gets it in every level. Oscar as TD and coach when he feels inclined. Hugo Perez over the youth. Boom. Done. We'd be WC quarters shoo-ins within 2 cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.