2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys have a lot of faith in George John. The fact that he hasn't resurfaced anywhere, and Kreis' comments on him have been iffy at best, makes me think he might not ever make it back.

John 3:16

For God so loved NYCFC that he gave his one and only Son (Kreis), that whoever believes in him shall not perish but win MLS glory.

If we are concerned about our defensive midfield, we could move Poku to ST next to Villa and Lampard into that #10 CAM spot and put a true CDM destroyer next to Pirlo and Mix.
I would really like to see Poku as a striker partner next to Villa in the next few games. I'm not completely sold it will work yet, but what I've seen from Poku so far he can play up top.

Especially considering Kreis' comments regarding Poku and his need to progress defensively. Why not place him up top where his defensive responsibilities would be marginalized? Especially as it would then allow Lampard and Poku to play together.

One thing that would really help Poku out, IMO, is having additional quality to pass to, as he often dribbles himself into trouble with limited options. Think of the assists he has had. They've mostly been to Villa and Mix, who are making smart runs. Having Lamps on the field with him can only result in good things. Especially if we can now have Khiry available on the bench if we need to sub Poku out.

You guys have a lot of faith in George John. The fact that he hasn't resurfaced anywhere, and Kreis' comments on him have been iffy at best, makes me think he might not ever make it back.
I really hope he turns out like everyone says he will, but I'm not sold yet. Any player trying to come back from a serious injury is always a big question mark.

Reactions: The Toe
I would really like to see Poku as a striker partner next to Villa in the next few games. I'm not completely sold it will work yet, but what I've seen from Poku so far he can play up top.

Especially considering Kreis' comments regarding Poku and his need to progress defensively. Why not place him up top where his defensive responsibilities would be marginalized? Especially as it would then allow Lampard and Poku to play together.

One thing that would really help Poku out, IMO, is having additional quality to pass to, as he often dribbles himself into trouble with limited options. Think of the assists he has had. They've mostly been to Villa and Mix, who are making smart runs. Having Lamps on the field with him can only result in good things. Especially if we can now have Khiry available on the bench if we need to sub Poku out.
Poku also played as a forward for the Georgia Revolution when he was in the NPSL and I believe he played some forward for the Atlanta Silverbacks before transitioning to CAM. Most of his goals and passing have come from the right side as well so it would compliment Villa's left side tendencies.

Here's what I think will happen with current roster:

RJ Allen,Defender - OUT
Pablo Álvarez,Midfielder - OUT
Angelino,Defender - Returned to MCFC
Mehdi Ballouchy,Midfielder - OUT
Connor Brandt,Midfielder/Defender - OUT
Jeb Brovsky,Defender - OUT
Javier Calle,Midfielder - Retained
Mix Diskerud,Midfielder - Retained
Shay Facey,Defender - Returned to MCFC
Ned Grabavoy,Midfielder - Retained
Jason Hernandez,Defender - Retained
Andoni Iraola,Defender - Retained
Andrew Jacobson,Midfielder - OUT
Eirik Johansen,Goalkeeper - Retained, loan extended from MCFC
George John,Defender - Retained
Frank Lampard,Midfielder - Retained
Thomas McNamara,Midfielder - Retained
Ryan Meara,Goalkeeper - Retained, contract purchased from RBNJ
Jefferson Mena,Defender - Retained
Patrick Mullins,Forward - Retained
Andrea Pirlo,Midfielder - Retained
Kwadwo Poku,Midfielder - Retained
Josh Saunders,Goalkeeper - Retained
Khiry Shelton,Forward - Retained
Tony Taylor,Forward - Retained
Sebastián Velásquez,Midfielder - Retained
David Villa,Forward - Retained
Chris Wingert,Defender - Retained

Not saying this is what I WANT but what I'm GUESSING.

RJ Allen,Defender - OUT

I could pick various guesses apart here, but I have no reason to think I'm better at predicting this than you so why bother.
Except. I have to mention that the Erik Johansen loan stands out as not making sense for any of the parties involved. I can't think of any reason to extend it. Johansen isn't playing and probably won't next year barring injuries. I have to think he would rather go somewhere he can play, develop, and prove himself. CFG should want the same. And NYC shouldn't be wasting an international slot on (1) any keeper (the US produces more decent keepers compared to any other position) , and (2) on someone who never plays, not even as an occasional sub. Using an I-slot on a keeper who never plays is like a Daily Double of stupid. I can forgive it in year one as everything was a grab bag to cobble together our roster. But not year 2.

RJ Allen,Defender - OUT

• Just an FYI, Johansen is not here on loan. He's our player.
  • Calle is on loan from Medellin but we have an option to purchase but has he done anything to warrant a purchase with his 200k+ salary?
  • Meara's loan from RBNY does not an option to purchase.
I think RJ Allen is a decent backup RB. He's still relatively young and very cheap. Same with Connor Brandt. If we start up our USL club before next season I could see him, Johansen, and maybe Tony Taylor get loaned out there. I think Jacobson is in the same light but JK seems intent on playing him over Mix despite not playing defense so IDK. Maybe JK owes AJ some money.

I hope Wingert, and Grabavoy aren't here...they make too much money for the lack of production and their age. Same with Hernandez. Ballouchy also has a very cheap under 100k salary and can play a couple of different positions.

I think if Kreis stays so do Grabavoy and Wingert and I do think JK will be back

• Just an FYI, Johansen is not here on loan. He's our player.
  • Calle is on loan from Medellin but we have an option to purchase but has he done anything to warrant a purchase with his 200k+ salary?
  • Meara's loan from RBNJ does not an option to purchase.
I think RJ Allen is a decent backup RB. He's still relatively young and very cheap. Same with Connor Brandt. If we start up our USL club before next season I could see him, Johansen, and maybe Tony Taylor get loaned out there. I think Jacobson is in the same light but JK seems intent on playing him over Mix despite not playing defense so IDK. Maybe JK owes AJ some money.

I hope Wingert, and Grabavoy aren't here...they make too much money for the lack of production and their age. Same with Hernandez. Ballouchy also has a very cheap under 100k salary and can play a couple of different positions.

We have to buy Calle for $1M if we want to keep him. He's 99.9% going back to South America.

Regarding RJ Allen, not only is he functional as a backup, but his brother Brandon is a potential home grown signing for the Red Bulls and solid prospect. Homegrown status can be traded. There's a chance we could convince Brandon to pressure the Red Bulls to trade us his rights or he will refuse to sign. Probably wishful thinking, but it might be part of the consideration when determining RJ Allen's status with the team.

Here are my updated tiers from the Cut List thread but not much has changed:

The Lone Ranger:
Villa has really earned his DP money this year. Really only big move that worked out.
Villa 5,600k

Please Don't Leave: Obviously a lot of this depends on the depth of MCFC, but one or both staying for another year. If they aren't going to get consistent minutes with the mother club, keep them in MLS CFG!
Facey 120k
Angelino 60k

Give Me Another Year Coach!: These guys have not performed up to expectations but I think we should give them another year. Iraola and Mena just need some time together, but if they can't figure out some chemistry by next year we should look else where. Hopefully Mix can see some time at holding midfielder next Pirlo.
Pirlo 2,300k
Diskerud 750k
Iraola 200k
Mena 200k

Young, Cheap w/ Upside (& Injured): These are our young guys that we keep that have shown some upside and or are coming back from injuries. Poku and T-Mac are great cheap starters. Allen I think is a great young, cheap option for depth at right back. Mullins has shown some promise behind Villa. It will be interesting to see how well Shelton, Taylor, and John do coming back from their injuries.
Mullins 110k
Shelton 88k
Taylor 84k
McNamara 71k
Poku 63k
Allen 60k
George John ?

Cheap & Experienced: If we want to upgrade a keeper, Saunders is cheap enough to keep as a backup. Ballouchy is a nice cheap depth option that could play multiple midfield spots while conveniently not being Ned Grabavoy.
Saunders 90k
Ballouchy 83k

Loan Me Out, Coach!: Don't really see these young guys getting playing time next year. Both of them rotted on the bench all season when they could have been getting USL playing time. Brandt was hurt all this year.
Brandt 50k
Johansen 50k

Should Be Cut, But Won't: I think that we will see all four of these guys on the roster next year and they will make us cry a little bit every game. Every Poku fan is going to spend a super sad 2016 campaign watching our hero on the bench in favor of Super Frank. I think that Wingert, Brovksy, Jacobson are too expensive to be the backups they should be but they are all Kreiss BFFs so we will see them again next year with bigger than needed roles.
Lampard 6,000k
Wingert 215k
Brovksy 129k
Jacobson 150k

Underperforming For Salary:
Hernandez is a replacement level CB. Hopefully, we can upgrade to cheaper, younger and/or a better option for next year.
Hernandez 185k

Goodbye Loans: Calle is not worth the salary so I don't see us purchasing his contract from Medellin. Meara's loan from the Red Bulls does not have a purchase option.
Calle 225k
Meara 73k

GTFO: Everyone one this list sucks. We should be super pissed if any them are on the roster next season.
Nemec 333k (see ya)
Grabavoy 215k (Don't do it Jason)
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Alvarez 63k

Mr. Irrelevant: Meh. When you social media game is better than your actual game...
Velasquez 60k

Last edited:
The way Angelino got manhandled (physically, at least) in the last game in Texas could be a good thing for us, as it gives us a chance that he stays next year. I suspect CFG will see how he looks in the remaining games to get a feel for where he is at, and where they see him performing next season. He's a terrific talent, but he still has trouble with the physical game, and continues to hone his skills (which, of course, suggest the makings of a talented player in Europe), so CFG may decide to give him one more year to improve and toughen up. On the other hand, they also could very well determine that he is ready to play for MC in some capacity (junior or senior) and/or after watching our team perform this season want him as far away from NYC as possible!

The way Angelino got manhandled (physically, at least) in the last game in Texas could be a good thing for us, as it gives us a chance that he stays next year. I suspect CFG will see how he looks in the remaining games to get a feel for where he is at, and where they see him performing next season. He's a terrific talent, but he still has trouble with the physical game, and continues to hone his skills (which, of course, suggest the makings of a talented player in Europe), so CFG may decide to give him one more year to improve and toughen up. On the other hand, they also could very well determine that he is ready to play for MC in some capacity (junior or senior) and/or after watching our team perform this season want him as far away from NYC as possible!

Would be nice if he stayed, you make a strong case that he could. Another factor will also be his preference. Obviously the club has final say but would I assume they will ask him if he'd rather stay in NYC or return to Europe. I do wonder what the locker room atmosphere is like with all the losses.

Reactions: JayH
Another mockup for fun. This is a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, depending how you classify Poku.

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png

Poku also played as a forward for the Georgia Revolution when he was in the NPSL and I believe he played some forward for the Atlanta Silverbacks before transitioning to CAM. Most of his goals and passing have come from the right side as well so it would compliment Villa's left side tendencies.
Good to know. I actually wasn't aware of what position he played in Atlanta. It sounds like this could be a move that would work then.

Looks like you still have Pirlo on a prorated salary unless there are MLS salary shenanigans I'm not aware of.
Assuming he was using the following list

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July 15, 2015 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

In which case I will point out again (have done so multiple times in other threads), I really wouldn't take too much consideration into some of the DP salaries here. As you mentioned, Pirlo's salary listed at $2.3mil appears to be prorated. But wouldn't the following player's salaries be prorated too?

Lampard at $6m
Gio Dos Santos at $4.1m
Gerrard at $6.3m

I'm not sure why they would only prorate Pirlo's salary on there and not do the same for the other midseason guys.

That was the source. However, I have seen a lot of contradictory info around. The MLS is super secret on contract info so¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: mgarbowski
Status
Not open for further replies.