2015 Offseason Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Frank's been on our team since the beginning, so.....*ducks*

Thought Gio was making more than that, TBH.

Reactions: gbservis
My issue with George John is he's been out for a year and a half and he made 325k in 2014. What is his salary next season? Dude needs a serious pay cut.

Another mockup for fun. This is a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, depending how you classify Poku.

NYCFC-formation-tactics.png
It's a total shocker to me that we haven't tried some variation of this in 2015. My only concern is that it looks a lot like the 4-3-3 that Barca play with, except our players have fairly different characteristics. I'm not certain how much freedom Lampard has to charge into the box in this formation, for instance. The 4/8 who play in that position are usually charged with shuffling the ball to the full backs / wingers. I would maybe try Poku up front in Free Agent #4's position and switch FA #4 with Lampard so he has the freedom to make those late runs into the box that he's been making for his entire career. Then we'd have to try to find another box-to-box midfielder who can cover Pirlo and keep the ball so the spaces that our full backs vacate don't get exploited like they have been this year.

Of course, it's not the case that this formation will only necessarily work with a Barca-like set of players, but it's easier to compare to something we all already understand fairly well (I think).

Reactions: AJS
This is gonna sound like a crazy Klinsmann move, but I was just thinking...

One of the things we really need for next year is a strong CDM. AJ is just not cutting it there, and Pirlo wouldn't stop my grandmother from getting through. We need someone with size, who is aggressive, attacks the ball, moves it up-field and gets it to Villa to pull the trigger, if not score himself.

Is it completely absurd to try and slot Poku in at that spot? Would take some off-season adjusting, but we could already have what we've been looking for all along. Plus he's getting jack shit for playing time at his current position anyways. He could be a real anchor in the midfield and allow a healthy Shelton/Mullins to pair up top with Villa, and Lamps/Pirlo/Mix/TMac available to fill the other 3 mid spots.

-----Villa---------Shelton/Mullins----
-------------Mix/Tmac----------
--Lamps-----Poku------Pirlo-----
---------------4D--------------------
---------------GK---------------------

I know, I'm just nuts.

This is gonna sound like a crazy Klinsmann move, but I was just thinking...

One of the things we really need for next year is a strong CDM. AJ is just not cutting it there, and Pirlo wouldn't stop my grandmother from getting through. We need someone with size, who is aggressive, attacks the ball, moves it up-field and gets it to Villa to pull the trigger, if not score himself.

Is it completely absurd to try and slot Poku in at that spot? Would take some off-season adjusting, but we could already have what we've been looking for all along. Plus he's getting jack shit for playing time at his current position anyways. He could be a real anchor in the midfield and allow a healthy Shelton/Mullins to pair up top with Villa, and Lamps/Pirlo/Mix/TMac available to fill the other 3 mid spots.

-----Villa---------Shelton/Mullins----
-------------Mix/Tmac----------
--Lamps-----Poku------Pirlo-----
---------------4D--------------------
---------------GK---------------------

I know, I'm just nuts.
Sorry, I just don't really see how this works. Especially having both Lamps and Poku behind Mix/TMac. They both need to be forward.

One of Poku's best talents is having the ball in front of him with space, this would really limit that. Additionally, one of his biggest deficiencies is his defense. Something that Kreis has not been shy about pointing out over and over. I really think if we wanna mix things up with Poku, its moving him to striker.

Yeah it was just a weird thought while procrastinating at work. I think most people agree we need to fit him in somewhere, and if Shelton is healthy next year we could have some of the best young talent on our team (Villa/Khiry/Mullins/Poku/?) all fighting for forward spots, with a potentially still shitty defense and an old, slow, stop-nothing midfield. Having all that talent up top for depth is great, and hopefully we are content with a Shelton/Mullins/Poku sub situation next year after we completely refuckulate the back line and add a good CDM this offseason.

Last edited:
I agree on Facey, I think everyone would be best served if he stays here.
Angelino on the other hand will get a loan to a top European league next season; La Liga, Premier League, Ligue 1 or the Eredivisie I would imagine.
Way to leave out Serie A... lol...

Yeah it was just a weird thought while procrastinating at work. I think most people agree we need to fit him in somewhere, and if Shelton is healthy next year we could have some of the best young talent on our team (Villa/Khiry/Mullins/Poku/?) all fighting for forward spots, with a potentially still shitty defense and an old, slow, stop-nothing midfield. Having all that talent up top for depth is great, and hopefully we are content with a Shelton/Mullins/Poku sub situation next year after we completely refuckulate the back line and add a good CDM this offseason.
Poku does need to be worked into the lineup but he is not a CDM. AJ is the only one who sorta plays it and that's why he is in the starting 11. And I don't care what Klinnsmann thinks, Mix is not a CDM either. And we need one badly, an upgrade from AJ and leave Jacobsen for bench depth.

Poku does need to be worked into the lineup but he is not a CDM. AJ is the only one who sorta plays it and that's why he is in the starting 11. And I don't care what Klinnsmann thinks, Mix is not a CDM either. And we need one badly, an upgrade from AJ and leave Jacobsen for bench depth.

How is Mix not a CDM? I'm asking in earnest because I understand how subjective these things are.

Defensively he works his socks off and tackles well (rather than clumsily). On the other side of the ball, he's a poor dribbler, a mediocre crosser and while he can play keep-ball well, he lacks the cunning and intuition of space and movement to be a true attacking midfielder.

I honestly think it's the only position he is suited for.

With giddiness still in our hearts,
Playoffs in our view,
A present bursting with possibility,
And a bright future where we will all be wearing shades,

Let's consider our 2016 lineup and make some predictions.

---------------Villa---------------------
-------------------------Poku-----------
---Mix------Lampard------Calle-----
----------------Pirlo--------------------
???------Facey----Mena-----Iraola--
--------------Saunders-----------------

Bench: TMac, Mullins, Shelton, AJ

Is there any reason we couldn't win the east with a full year of this? Someone, please tell me who challenges us.

Points of comparison:
Dallas is currently on pace for 62 points.
DC is on pace for 56.

Hopefully calle and Mena wont be on the team they are both awful , they will be gone and this will free up much needed salary cap and get back 2 international spots.

Need to do a much better job scouting whom ever scouted calle and mean did a horrible job.

How is Mix not a CDM? I'm asking in earnest because I understand how subjective these things are.

Defensively he works his socks off and tackles well (rather than clumsily). On the other side of the ball, he's a poor dribbler, a mediocre crosser and while he can play keep-ball well, he lacks the cunning and intuition of space and movement to be a true attacking midfielder.

I honestly think it's the only position he is suited for.
It isn't he can't play CDM, he's just not very good at it. If we are expecting him to be Kyle Beckerman we will be disappointed. I am not sure any more what's his best position is but it isn't defensive midfielder.

Hopefully calle and Mena wont be on the team they are both awful , they will be gone and this will free up much needed salary cap and get back 2 international spots.

Need to do a much better job scouting whom ever scouted calle and mean did a horrible job.
When RJ Allen is among your "wins" somethings wrong.

On the plus side whoever found Poku needs a raise.

Reactions: Goodfella
I think it's clear that we need two upfront. Villa doesn't have the size to be a holding forward, and he doesn't have the pace like he used to.

Poku would be a good choice to play next to Villa, but as has been said before he is at his best when he has space in front of him. Playing with his back to the goal is not his strength. So I would use him as a CAM.

That basically leaves Mullins or Shelton to play next to Villa. Both are young and have raw athletic ability. They can both learn a lot playing with Villa. It also relieve some of the pressure put on Villa being the only forward.

As for the midfield, Lampard as a center mid. With Mix and TMac out wide. It's ironic that one of Mix's problems is that he is so versatile. He's athletic and gives his all no matter where he is played. But he doesn't excel at any one position. Pirlo behind them.

And then here's where it gets very interesting, and I think should be the focal point of our off-season acquisitions. If we don't dramatically increase the quality of our four backs, then we will NEED a CDM. Jacobson is clearly not cutting it. He could be OK coming off the bench, or in a pinch if our starting CDM is out for a game or two.

Are Facey and Angelino going to stay? How soon will we know? Hernandez and Mena are just not going to cut it as our center backs. Iriola has not lived up to the hype, and while Allen has improved this year, we can still do better.

I'm willing to let Saunders go another year as our starting goalkeeper. He does lead the league in saves, but if I'm not mistaken, we also lead the league in shots allowed on goal.

I think it's clear that we need two upfront. Villa doesn't have the size to be a holding forward, and he doesn't have the pace like he used to.

Poku would be a good choice to play next to Villa, but as has been said before he is at his best when he has space in front of him. Playing with his back to the goal is not his strength. So I would use him as a CAM.

That basically leaves Mullins or Shelton to play next to Villa. Both are young and have raw athletic ability. They can both learn a lot playing with Villa. It also relieve some of the pressure put on Villa being the only forward.

As for the midfield, Lampard as a center mid. With Mix and TMac out wide. It's ironic that one of Mix's problems is that he is so versatile. He's athletic and gives his all no matter where he is played. But he doesn't excel at any one position. Pirlo behind them.

And then here's where it gets very interesting, and I think should be the focal point of our off-season acquisitions. If we don't dramatically increase the quality of our four backs, then we will NEED a CDM. Jacobson is clearly not cutting it. He could be OK coming off the bench, or in a pinch if our starting CDM is out for a game or two.

Are Facey and Angelino going to stay? How soon will we know? Hernandez and Mena are just not going to cut it as our center backs. Iriola has not lived up to the hype, and while Allen has improved this year, we can still do better.

I'm willing to let Saunders go another year as our starting goalkeeper. He does lead the league in saves, but if I'm not mistaken, we also lead the league in shots allowed on goal.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but I'd like to give Mena an off-season and a full season. He may just need time to develop and learn. Otherwise I agree with most of your points.

He excels at CM. He should be in a pulley with another CM. Hard to do if that other CM is Pirlo.

No Pirlo in your lineup.

With Pirlo and Lampard in the lineup, there is no natural spot for Mix.

I think with a good DM that plays almost like a third CB, we could set up well in a 4-2-2-2, with the fullbacks providing width and shuttling (and not hanging the CB's out to dry because of their support from the DM). The midfield four are staggered in their depth, going DM-Pirlo-Lampard-Poku, and then Villa plays up top with a quality strike partner.

Mix can either be traded or be the top backup at a number of spots.

Reactions: dannd23
But... where do you fit Grabavoy??

I'm hopeful for this offseason and 2016, and I think the overlords will make even more waves next year with their recruiting (we've already seen they are looking at Aduriz), but I just hope they execute whatever strategy they have better. If we had this current team in March I think we'd be comfortably in the playoffs, probably sitting just ahead of Toronto. At this rate Frank would have cleaned up enough Villa rebounds to have 10 or 12 goals, and we never would have dropped points to Philly / Chicago.

Side note - My FIFA 16 NYCFC season is now in early August. George John has been great next to Facey, Poku has 14 goals, and Mullins' contract expired and he signed with Vancouver. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Goodfella
No Pirlo in your lineup.

With Pirlo and Lampard in the lineup, there is no natural spot for Mix.

I think with a good DM that plays almost like a third CB, we could set up well in a 4-2-2-2, with the fullbacks providing width and shuttling (and not hanging the CB's out to dry because of their support from the DM). The midfield four are staggered in their depth, going DM-Pirlo-Lampard-Poku, and then Villa plays up top with a quality strike partner.

Mix can either be traded or be the top backup at a number of spots.

What about moving Villa back to LW since he seems to constantly drift left anyway? Put Lampard in the CF spot in a 4-3-3 false 9 type set up. Something like this for 2016:

--Villa-----Lampard-----Shelton--
------CM1--------------Mix----------
----------------Pirlo------------------
LB------CB------------CB---------RB
----------------GK---------------------

CM1 needs to be a Jacobson upgrade with speed and a high defensive work rate. Mix is back in the middle were he plays better. Mix and CM1 use their work rates to cover Prilo and get up an back. Lampard can do his delayed runs behind the attacking Villa and Shelton or a new RW while having no defensive responsibilities at all. It's not a dream solution but I see no point in dumping Mix, a younger player who could be here for a long time because he doesn't fit with Lampard who is gone at the end of next season.

With giddiness still in our hearts,
Playoffs in our view,
A present bursting with possibility,
And a bright future where we will all be wearing shades,

Let's consider our 2016 lineup and make some predictions.

---------------Villa---------------------
-------------------------Poku-----------
---Mix------Lampard------Calle-----
----------------Pirlo--------------------
???------Facey----Mena-----Iraola--
--------------Saunders-----------------

Bench: TMac, Mullins, Shelton, AJ

Is there any reason we couldn't win the east with a full year of this? Someone, please tell me who challenges us.

Points of comparison:
Dallas is currently on pace for 62 points.
DC is on pace for 56.

My question is what contracts can we unload and what can we pick up?

I have like 7 players i want out like today.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Status
Not open for further replies.