2016 General Mls Transfer Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
They sold 2 players this offseason so they have tons of allocation $ and have $1.6m in TAM to play with.
That, and all three players were sitting on big contracts but not being used by their clubs so there was leverage for contract buyouts.

Here's an article the LA Times did on LAG's recent highly affordable marquee signings:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-galaxy-european-players-20160203-story.html

'"All three of these players were in unique situations with their clubs," [Bruce] Arena said. "Obviously, their ability to separate from those clubs in the right manner allowed for them to come to MLS and deal with salaries that are within our guidelines."'

That, and all three players were sitting on big contracts but not being used by their clubs so there was leverage for contract buyouts.

Here's an article the LA Times did on LAG's recent highly affordable marquee signings:
http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-galaxy-european-players-20160203-story.html

'"All three of these players were in unique situations with their clubs," [Bruce] Arena said. "Obviously, their ability to separate from those clubs in the right manner allowed for them to come to MLS and deal with salaries that are within our guidelines."'
Credit them for de Jong in particular. That sort of contract structure could be an opportunity for us in the near term given the limited future duration of our DPs.

So Orlando wants to sign Antonio Nocerino, but MLS said to stop because DC United made a discovery claim. He's played with Kaka in Milan and wants to go there. I don't understand why a club would continue to pursue a player that wanted to go elsewhere. Also, I understand the discovery claim mechanism is in place to give the teams the leverage over the player in negotiations but I don't really like it. So teams can have up to 7 or 8 players on their list that aren't public...I would love to see our list.

Reactions: gbservis
So Orlando wants to sign Antonio Nocerino, but MLS said to stop because DC United made a discovery claim. He's played with Kaka in Milan and wants to go there. I don't understand why a club would continue to pursue a player that wanted to go elsewhere. Also, I understand the discovery claim mechanism is in place to give the teams the leverage over the player in negotiations but I don't really like it. So teams can have up to 7 or 8 players on their list that aren't public...I would love to see our list.

If Nocerino really wants to play in Orlando, it will turn into a Chicago-Drogba scenario. I can foresee teams doing this a lot. When they know a player wants to come to MLS but not for their own team, they smack a discovery claim on them so they get some GAM/TAM.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
If Nocerino really wants to play in Orlando, it will turn into a Chicago-Drogba scenario. I can foresee teams doing this a lot. When they know a player wants to come to MLS but not for their own team, they smack a discovery claim on them so they get some GAM/TAM.

Exactly. They are basically cock-blocking other teams and have no intention on signing these guys on their lists. So they are basically taxing the teams, by protecting them. Real mafioso tactics right there.

When they know a player wants to come to MLS but not for their own team, they smack a discovery claim on them so they get some GAM/TAM.
KVZnS6M.jpg

Exactly. They are basically cock-blocking other teams and have no intention on signing these guys on their lists. So they are basically taxing the teams, by protecting them. Real mafioso tactics right there.

From what's being reported it sounds like this is slightly different as DC was in legitimate negotiations with him before Orlando jumped in. That being said the rules are still stupid, talented players should be able to go where they want. If this nonsense costs the league a quality player then the system is broken.

If this nonsense costs the league a quality player then the system is broken.

Curious to see how this all plays out. The European market has come and gone. So apparently Orlando made DC an offer that was rejected. He doesn't want to play for DC. So what will happen is, he will continue at Milan till the end of his contract (which is this summer) and the league lost out on a pretty good 30 year old player.

The problem I have with these 'Discovery Claims' is that teams can hold others hostage with them. Wonder who has a claim in on Zlatan :eek:

The problem I have with these 'Discovery Claims' is that teams can hold others hostage with them.
I thought it was a standard buyout of 50k for a discovery claim. Stupid rule, but a pretty small price to pay for a DP. Did I dream up that 50k number? Is that not right?

Reactions: Ulrich
I thought it was a standard buyout of 50k for a discovery claim. Stupid rule, but a pretty small price to pay for a DP. Did I dream up that 50k number? Is that not right?

I don't think it's a set amout, its whatever the teams agree to. Didn't Montreal give Chicago 100k for drogba?

Reactions: Goodfella
IIRC the amount is $50K. I also believe in theses cases, now that an offer has been made by Orlando, DCU has to make legitimate contract offers to Nocerino or they'll lose his rights. I'm just not sure of the time span involved.

Reactions: FootyLovin
"If a club wants to sign a player on the Discovery List of another team, it may offer the team $50,000 in Allocation Money in exchange for the right to sign the player. The team with the player on its Discovery List will then either (i) have to accept the Allocation Money and give up the right to sign the player or (ii) make the player a genuine, objectively reasonable offer."

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
rule is stupid, so does nycfc have casillas and torres "discovery claim"

The league says it is protecting clubs with discovery claims, but there are plenty of others rules in place that accomplish this. The redundancy is counterproductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.