2016 Official Injury Speculations and WAGs

FootyLovin

No better obsession
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Feb 15, 2015
Sea Cliff NY
Since we know we will almost never get info from NYCFC.

Come on forum members, check the practice photos, offer complex medical diagnoses, tap PV's phone. In short, give your best info and your best guess for each of our injured players' diagnoses, prognoses and return dates.

Currently on our watch list:
  • RJ
  • Mena
  • Lampard
  • Harrison - current speculation has him returning in June/July (if you trust PV) or 2017 (if you trust the media)
  • Brandt
  • Saunders (including him based on the report by someone in the postgame thread that they saw him with a leg brace on after the game)
Anyone have anything to share that might give us insight into any of them playing this week?

Reactions: Kjbert
Some info from the article last week:

upload_2016-3-8_8-23-59.png

"...it appears they will also begin Year Two as they did Year One – without Frank Lampard.

The veteran midfielder, whose first season in MLS was hindered by a late start and injuries, is likely to miss Sunday’s opener against the Chicago Fire (2 pm ET, MLS Live) with a calf strain.

Lampard, who also suffered a calf strain and a quad injury a year ago, wasn’t on the field for Thursday morning’s training session and is still working indoors with the training staff.

“He’s getting better, but not good enough to take part in the session today,” Vieira said. “We just have to analyze the situation day after day.”

Lampard isn’t the only injury concern for NYCFC. Central defender Jefferson Mena is questionable with an ankle injury, though he has started his on-field work.

“Mena is starting to work on the field and he’s getting better and better, maybe beginning of next week he will integrate a bit more into the team,” Vieira said. “But he’s on his way getting back.”

Outside back R.J. Allen is questionable with a back injury, while Connor Brandt (core) and rookie Jack Harrison (pelvis) are out.

“Jack is feeling much better. It’s just a question of time because we don’t want him to come rush and then be out again,” Vieira said. “It may take a bit longer, but when the players get back to the field we want them to stay on the field. This is the way we are going to work.”

Connor Brandt is an interesting case having a Core injury. That makes me think he has a sports hernia (I've had one), and it was either initially misdiagnosed or they botched the surgery (Connor's, not mine). With me, it took forever for the doctors to admit it was a hernia, and even then they were reluctant to perform surgery, however once they did and placed the mesh, I was back to training 6 weeks later. It's really a simple procedure and the recovery is fast, so since he has been out so long, I'm just not sure what else he could have done to warrant such a long layoff.... unless they're grouping a labral tear in with the category Core, and if that's the case, he may/may not come back from it - labral tears are tears of the cartilage at the hip joint. That can have surgery, but it's not fully effective - one must really rest and hope the cartilage regenerates enough to function again. My wife had this years ago as a running injury, and while she's recovered (no surgery) and nearly back to normal, she's not 100% and periodically has issues. Still, if it was a labral tear, I'd think NYCFC would label it as a hip injury and not core. I'm sticking with a sports hernia.

Last edited:
Anyone have any info on Iraola? It's interesting he wasn't on the injury list - can't see why we'd pay White over him if he's healthy. There's also the new guy Shannon Gomez, but I think he's probably just not ready yet. Funny how we sign so much fullback depth and then end up playing a CB there instead.

Anyone have any info on Iraola? It's interesting he wasn't on the injury list - can't see why we'd pay White over him if he's healthy. There's also the new guy Shannon Gomez, but I think he's probably just not ready yet. Funny how we sign so much fullback depth and then end up playing a CB there instead.
They listed Iraola as injured during the broadcast, think they said hamstring but could be imagining that.

Connor Brandt is an interesting case having a Core injury. That makes me think he has a sports hernia (I've had one), and it was either initially misdiagnosed or they botched the surgery. With me, it took forever for the doctors to admit it was a hernia, and even then they were reluctant to perform surgery, however once they did and placed the mesh, I was back to training 6 weeks later. It's really a simple procedure and the recovery is fast, so since he has been out so long, I'm just not sure what else he could have done to warrant such a long layoff.... unless they're grouping a labral tear in with the category Core, and if that's the case, he may/may not come back from it - labral tears are tears of the cartilage at the hip joint. That can have surgery, but it's not fully effective - one must really rest and hope the cartilage regenerates enough to function again. My wife had this years ago as a running injury, and while she's recovered (no surgery) and nearly back to normal, she's not 100% and periodically has issues. Still, if it was a labral tear, I'd think NYCFC would label it as a hip injury and not core. I'm sticking with a sports hernia.

From a July '15 article:

Connor Brandt Undergoes Successful Surgery
July 28, 20159:39 AM EDT

New York City FC defender Connor Brandt underwent successful surgery to repair a sports hernia last week in Los Angeles, the Club announced.

Brandt is slated to be out approximately six weeks.

“He went out to California to have his injury diagnosed,” head coach Jason Kreis said. “He had the surgery and it went quite well. We’ll be headed in a much clearer direction than we have been – it feels like he’s been out of service for two months. We’ve had a lot of questions about what it is, so we all feel good we have it officially addressed and are moving in a positive direction.”

Shoot. Mesh for a hernia is a stopgap at best. Eventually, even the mesh breaks, and by that time the tissue has grown around and through it, and it can't be removed.

Why can't we George John Connor Brandt? Between the year-long injury and all this new LB depth, I don't see him making the field this year.

Edit: Seems like we never officially signed GJ, so that's why he kind of just disappeared?

Shoot. Mesh for a hernia is a stopgap at best. Eventually, even the mesh breaks, and by that time the tissue has grown around and through it, and it can't be removed.

is there another way to handle that? every time i read about it mesh seems to be the only way to fix it.

I don't really know. My mother had mesh surgery for a hernia and it caused all sorts of major issues down the road. Worked for a few years, however. Maybe they are improving the mesh.

is there another way to handle that? every time i read about it mesh seems to be the only way to fix it.
It is the only way to heal it. The mesh doesn't break if the tissue has the time to heal and fuse with/around the mesh - it's a stronger "joint" at that point. The mesh only breaks if the player is rushed back into training too quickly and all of the forces are on the mesh to hold things together.

I had the surgery in 2008, and I haven't had any issues since then, and that's with logging many miles each week.

Reactions: Fantazma
It is the only way to heal it. The mesh doesn't break if the tissue has the time to heal and fuse with/around the mesh - it's a stronger "joint" at that point. The mesh only breaks if the player is rushed back into training too quickly and all of the forces are on the mesh to hold things together.

I had the surgery in 2008, and I haven't had any issues since then, and that's with logging many miles each week.

yea i remember one family member having it and saying he cant do any full on exercise or any lifting 6- 8 weeks at the minimum. in this case with brandt.....i think they will be ok giving that much time.

Yeah injury discussion and WAG discussion goes together like twizzlers and guacamole. Huh?

"Well, let's just sit the team physician next to the Daily Mail reporter, I'm sure they will have a lot to talk about!"

Man, RJ with a disc issue is troubling. That could potentially take him out a while, especially if it's impinging a nerve.