2016 Preseason Thread

So...
We are going into preseason with our biggest need unfilled, that of a CB. That need has been known since the minute last season ended, and we didn't get it done. So this year, we will have a preseason without set CB starters to get used to each other, probably the most important pairing to know each other on the pitch. Already a roster fail before the season has started.

Reyna was a weird hire at technical director to start and him surviving year one was weird too based on the insane roster construction. This year looking like more of the same.

Reactions: SlimShadyRus
So...
We are going into preseason with our biggest need unfilled, that of a CB. That need has been known since the minute last season ended, and we didn't get it done. So this year, we will have a preseason without set CB starters to get used to each other, probably the most important pairing to know each other on the pitch. Already a roster fail before the season has started.

Reyna was a weird hire at technical director to start and him surviving year one was weird too based on the insane roster construction. This year looking like more of the same.

i kept saying if kreis left reyna has to leave as well. dont know full details of failed teixeira deal but id be pissed if he was being cheap. he still has a few days before transfer window closes so there is little bit of time but who knows. this is his make or break year and doesnt look like he is going all out to not be like last year.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
So...

Hang on a sec. Offseason ain't over:

Jan 23, 2015 - Poku signed
Feb 2, 2015 - Nemec signed
Feb 6, 2015 - Calle loaned
March 6, 2015 - Facey loaned
March 6, 2015 - Alvarez signed
March 31, 2015 - Johansen signed

Finding a CB that's ready to move now, is an upgrade, yet costs less than $1 million, isn't that easy. It looked like we had one and he got off the hook. Obviously the sooner the better for a signing, but let's give it the rest of the rest of the transfer window before we try to bury Reyna again.

Side question, how would you feel if we rolled our TAM over to next year and, instead of going all out this year, went double all-in next year with a new DP or two, plus $1.6 million in TAM spending? I don't know if I like that, but it might be an interesting play.

Hang on a sec. Offseason ain't over:

Jan 23, 2015 - Poku signed
Feb 2, 2015 - Nemec signed
Feb 6, 2015 - Calle loaned
March 6, 2015 - Facey loaned
March 6, 2015 - Alvarez signed
March 31, 2015 - Johansen signed

Finding a CB that's ready to move now, is an upgrade, yet costs less than $1 million, isn't that easy. It looked like we had one and he got off the hook. Obviously the sooner the better for a signing, but let's give it the rest of the rest of the transfer window before we try to bury Reyna again.

Side question, how would you feel if we rolled our TAM over to next year and, instead of going all out this year, went double all-in next year with a new DP or two, plus $1.6 million in TAM spending? I don't know if I like that, but it might be an interesting play.
I know its not over, but even if we get someone next week, they dont have the full training camp to work with Mena and the rest of the defense.

As far as going all in next year, that would seem to make the pirlo and Lampard signings pointless. Also, the need for a CB is so obvious that to not get anythign done before training camp doesnt look good for reyna.

I know its not over, but even if we get someone next week, they dont have the full training camp to work with Mena and the rest of the defense.

As far as going all in next year, that would seem to make the pirlo and Lampard signings pointless. Also, the need for a CB is so obvious that to not get anythign done before training camp doesnt look good for reyna.
I agree that I think they should focus on trying to build for this year. There is so much parity in MLS, that I think it is tough to ever play for next year because it is the rare team that knows it doesn't have a shot at a real run at the outset of the season.

Reserving judgment on Reyna given the apparent success in addressing other holes. I totally agree we need a CB and clearly the Teixeira thing was a bad break. I wish they had someone lined up already, but I think the situation is still very much salvageable, albeit slightly disappointing.

So...

Not necessarily disagreeing with you but we do have defenders now. Mena was here, and we'll have Connor Brandt this year. We signed Ethan White, and just now Mataritta (not a center back, but still). So yes, no superstar center back signings so far, but there is still some time perhaps.

and maybe there's a plan being put into action behind the scenes already....

2jsfax6.jpg

So happy that the team starts training on Friday. It's been a slow offseason so far and I'm just waiting to see them in action

Reactions: Kjbert
Only three games listed on NYCFC.com, shouldn't Montreal be on the preseason schedule now?

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 3.41.46 AM.png

Only three games listed on NYCFC.com, shouldn't Montreal be on the preseason schedule now?

View attachment 3833

this was the confusing thing about the announcement that wasnt cleared up. are we playing montreal or are we playing an icelandic team? both were mentioned in the article

this was the confusing thing about the announcement that wasnt cleared up. are we playing montreal or are we playing an icelandic team? both were mentioned in the article

If you read the article, it states that the tournament takes place 20th-27th Feb while the Montreal game is on the 17th. Logically therefore the Montreal game is nothing to do with the tournament.

Either they are only have the four teams in the tourney play two games each (and therefore each team will skip one opponent) or they are for some reason struggling to finalise the last game.

Reactions: Kjbert
If you read the article, it states that the tournament takes place 20th-27th Feb while the Montreal game is on the 17th. Logically therefore the Montreal game is nothing to do with the tournament.

Either they are only have the four teams in the tourney play two games each (and therefore each team will skip one opponent) or they are for some reason struggling to finalise the last game.

That's was my thinking at first but if calendar is missing Montreal/Iceland team game then don't know if it's 1 extra game or two. I'd like two more for more reps and give team more time to adjust to PV system

That's was my thinking at first but if calendar is missing Montreal/Iceland team game then don't know if it's 1 extra game or two. I'd like two more for more reps and give team more time to adjust to PV system

If you can excuse the horrible picture, the below link from Tuesday quotes a game against Reykjavik as going ahead on the 27th.

I'm fairly sure it's just a matter of time until they announce it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...16-florida-soccer-schedule-20160119-post.html

Did you really expect us to use logic?? Remember where you are and who your talking too.