2017 Jersey Thread

Your Choice for the 2017 Primary Jersey Neckline...

• A

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • B

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • C

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • D

Votes: 44 54.3%

• Total voters
I, for one, am just annoyed that they have not yet announced a big sale on last year's merch. This was about the time last year I got my original away jersey at some ridiculous % off.

Reactions: Kjbert and CCMore
Fair point on your end regarding my last point. I just found the primary kit to be nice from an objective fashionable point of view. I hope others see that point too from the same perspective.
Fair enough, and water under a bridge... or something like that. I agree that we'll be baby blue, and I honestly have no problem with the color / some branding alignment. I just want something a bit different from the sister clubs. When our home jersey and their home jersey were the exact same (at the time), that sucked IMO, especially since it was our inaugural jersey. Now that Man City's has changed, i'm just hoping we don't release a jersey that matches their new one identically - that's the only thing I'd be aggravated over. I just want to be what they promised -- same group, same resources, different city, different team. Throw in some baby blue with some variety, a la SKC's graph-paper jersey's, or give us some navy blue details... who knows. Regardless, I'm a bit nervous, but more excited to see our new jerseys. I truly wish MLS would be smarter and release the new jerseys before the holidays! They'd make awesome gifts (mostly for myself haha). Either way... there will absolutely be lots of new name options to put on the back of our new jerseys...

Fair enough, and water under a bridge... or something like that. I agree that we'll be baby blue, and I honestly have no problem with the color / some branding alignment. I just want something a bit different from the sister clubs. When our home jersey and their home jersey were the exact same (at the time), that sucked IMO, especially since it was our inaugural jersey. Now that Man City's has changed, i'm just hoping we don't release a jersey that matches their new one identically - that's the only thing I'd be aggravated over. I just want to be what they promised -- same group, same resources, different city, different team. Throw in some baby blue with some variety, a la SKC's graph-paper jersey's, or give us some navy blue details... who knows. Regardless, I'm a bit nervous, but more excited to see our new jerseys. I truly wish MLS would be smarter and release the new jerseys before the holidays! They'd make awesome gifts (mostly for myself haha). Either way... there will absolutely be lots of new name options to put on the back of our new jerseys...

We're definitely not getting the same design as Man City this year because that's a generic Nike template. If Adidas tried to copy that, there might be trademark infringement or something.

We're definitely not getting the same design as Man City this year because that's a generic Nike template. If Adidas tried to copy that, there might be trademark infringement or something.

It's hard to trademark "jersey with sleeves and body different colors".

It's hard to trademark "jersey with sleeves and body different colors".

Yeah, true (although try telling that to Apple's legal department when they trademarked "rounded edges" on mobile phones) but good luck going into a design meeting with Adidas and starting with "so we want it to look like a Nike shirt".

Reactions: Kjbert
Adidas finalized our 2017 design before Nike released the Man City 16/17 design, so it's not going to look similar.

Sidebar, but I'm watching the Club World Cup right now and Aukland City is sponsored by Hi-Chew. Amazing.
Your premise is that there isn't any corporate espionage that takes place between the two industry giants??? That Nike 16/17 design was likely on the boards before Adidas even started our 17kit; it's a 2+ year saga for both companies in design.

I doubt that Adidas would ever want to copy Nike's boring design dept, but the opportunity to do it is a real possibility.

One big question is how much change in design the Club is going to want. Small changes mean consistency in branding. Larger changes (such as darker blue sleeves) are going to sell more jerseys, at least in the short term, as fans try to stay up to date with the team's look.

I can see City desiring to maintain a classic look, but these days most clubs, in soccer or otherwise, go for the cash grab.

Just make this the home jersey next season....love this shirt
View attachment 6215
I don't know. I don't disagree that's it's a fine looking shirt, and the navy would be a very welcome addition. But it does seem awfully close to this...
ManCityhome.png

Added: What if they did something like mesh the current home colors with the concept of the old black away jersey. Like a baby blue base, with 5 navy blue diagonal strips for the five boroughs. I think something like that would be cool and unique, and bring in an element of a prior team uniform. Obviously the real jerseys have been done for a long while now, so this is all dreaming, but still.

Reactions: JayH
I don't know. I don't disagree that's it's a fine looking shirt, and the navy would be a very welcome addition. But it does seem awfully close to this...
View attachment 6216

Added: What if they did something like mesh the current home colors with the concept of the old black away jersey. Like a baby blue base, with 5 navy blue diagonal strips for the five boroughs. I think something like that would be cool and unique, and bring in an element of a prior team uniform. Obviously the real jerseys have been done for a long while now, so this is all dreaming, but still.
Not a coincidence.

Not MLS related, but Senegal just released their African Cup of Nations jerseys and they are incredible.

More details: http://www.footyheadlines.com/2016/12/senegal-2017-afcon-home-and-away-kits.html
senegal-2017-afcon-home-and-away-kits-7.jpg

senegal-2017-afcon-home-and-away-kits-2.jpg

MLS Retro Nights
I saw a guy playing with a Tampa Bay Mutiny jersey not that long ago. Jerseys from that time were so off center, so out of the realm of accepted decorum. It was a strange sports strategy at that time though, not just in MLS, to get kids interested in professional sports.