2022 U.S. Open Cup

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
NYCFC joins the competition as part of eight MLS teams in the Round of 32. To take place on May 10 or 11. Draw April 22.

MLS teams join the US Open Cup starting tomorrow night in Round 3.

NYCFC joins in the next round. Draw for that one is on Friday (April 22). The 32 teams will be divided into 8 groups of 4 teams each based on geography. Looking at the 3rd Round matchups, we would probably be placed with the winners of (1) Hartford Athletic vs. NY Red Bulls and (2) Rochester Rhinos* vs. FC Motown (Morristown, NJ).

The 4th team is a little harder to pick. If Flower City Union (Rochester, NY) beats DC United, then they would likely be the 4th team. If not, it is harder to figure. The likely choice is New England, who, like NYCFC, joins in that round and doesn't have any teams nearby other than those already mentioned.

Games will be played on May 10-11. Citi Field would be available on the 10th, for whatever that's worth.

___
* - Will I use the overly generic, Jamie Vardy-imposed name for Rochester's team? No, I will not.

This week's schedule.

A7549031-DF6E-4DAA-8A7A-07F0FA428403_1_201_a.jpeg
AA2274BB-26E4-4A25-B9EC-0BCA58FA1056_1_201_a.jpeg

NYCFC joins in the next round. Draw for that one is on Friday (April 22). The 32 teams will be divided into 8 groups of 4 teams each based on geography. Looking at the 3rd Round matchups, we would probably be placed with the winners of (1) Hartford Athletic vs. NY Red Bulls and (2) Rochester Rhinos* vs. FC Motown (Morristown, NJ).

The 4th team is a little harder to pick. If Flower City Union (Rochester, NY) beats DC United, then they would likely be the 4th team. If not, it is harder to figure. The likely choice is New England, who, like NYCFC, joins in that round and doesn't have any teams nearby other than those already mentioned.

Games will be played on May 10-11. Citi Field would be available on the 10th, for whatever that's worth.

___
* - Will I use the overly generic, Jamie Vardy-imposed name for Rochester's team? No, I will not.
I respect your choice, but I prefer not to waste any time thinking "Rochester has a second lower division team?"

Is there anything better than single elimination soccer? DCFC!

and two MLS sides eliminated so far...

i'm curious what our lineup will be when we play...

___

With Flower City fading late against DC United, it looks like our Group of 4 teams will be:
(1) NYCFC
(2) New England
(3) winner of NJ Red Bulls vs. Hartford Athletic
(4) winner of Rochester Rhinos vs. FC Motown

Reactions: SoupInNYC
With Flower City fading late against DC United, it looks like our Group of 4 teams will be:
(1) NYCFC
(2) New England
(3) winner of NJ Red Bulls vs. Hartford Athletic
(4) winner of Rochester Rhinos vs. FC Motown

yes the chances for a MLS team is very high since by the time nycfc gets in thats all thats left. i know nycfc played RB twice before. When they played North Carolina, i think the other two were MLS teams in the group.

In the past, you could either draw a group with two MLS teams or three MLS teams. Because of the concentration of MLS franchises in the northeast, we always drew a group with three MLS teams. This is tough because it changes the odds that we play another MLS team from 1/3 to 2/3.