2022 U.S. Open Cup

to think that orlando will be in CCL next year.... crazy.
The beauty of merit-based sports competitions is that you'll have so many different teams competing in different tournaments, it'll eventually happen :) Heck, this season there's still technically a chance we could see Cincinnati play CCL next season if the right circumstances happen ;)

The beauty of merit-based sports competitions is that you'll have so many different teams competing in different tournaments, it'll eventually happen :) Heck, this season there's still technically a chance we could see Cincinnati play CCL next season if the right circumstances happen ;)

don't get me wrong. I enjoy seeing different teams compete in international competitions. I think it's pretty lame to see the same 4-6 teams competing from the top leagues over and over again. I like that MLS has such wildness and parity and there's a shake up almost every year or two. It'll be even crazier next year with leagues cup, which I am really looking forward to.

There's a Reddit post noting that only 5( really 6) MLS teams have failed to win some hardware since joining MLS: The oldest - Minnesota - just joined MLS in 2017. The others are Cincinnati (2019), Miami and Nashville (both 2020), and Austin 2021. They left out Charlotte but if you count them even though they haven't had a full year, they make 6. Cincinnati and Minnesota have USL or NASL hardware.
Even more amazing IMO, a comment lists the most recent domestic (i.e. non CCL) trophy and year for every MLS team. The longest no trophy streak is Chicago who last won USOC in 2006. But then, after just 5 more teams, it jumps to 2015 and Portland winning MLS cup in NYCFC's first year. Since and including 2015 Portland, 16 different MLS teams have won MLS Cup, the Shield, USOC, or Canadian Cup (Voyageurs) in 8 years.

There's a Reddit post noting that only 5( really 6) MLS teams have failed to win some hardware since joining MLS: The oldest - Minnesota - just joined MLS in 2017. The others are Cincinnati (2019), Miami and Nashville (both 2020), and Austin 2021. They left out Charlotte but if you count them even though they haven't had a full year, they make 6. Cincinnati and Minnesota have USL or NASL hardware.
Even more amazing IMO, a comment lists the most recent domestic (i.e. non CCL) trophy and year for every MLS team. The longest no trophy streak is Chicago who last won USOC in 2006. But then, after just 5 more teams, it jumps to 2015 and Portland winning MLS cup in NYCFC's first year. Since and including 2015 Portland, 16 different MLS teams have won MLS Cup, the Shield, USOC, or Canadian Cup (Voyageurs) in 8 years.
absolutely insane numbers! Parity is real. As much as we want to be annoyed Orlando won something, it was bound to happen eventually. hah

Reactions: Schwallacus