Adam Nemec [Forward]

My friend who I watched the game with that isn't familiar with NYCFC asked who the worst player on the team is as the lineups were being announced. I said Nemec and it turns out I couldnt't have been more right after that performance.

I don't really know why, but for some reason he reminds me of Olivier Giroud. Not very fast and can be very terrible with his passing, but is strong in the air and holds up play well. I think he needs time to develop with the team, but I see him as a starter for us. We never really played any crosses in from the wings so he didn't have any chances to use his head beside the one from Williams that was from around the 18

I'm watching the Man Utd Vs Arsenal game and the thought hit me. Why don't we convert Nemec to play a style of football like Marouane Fellainie? They are both used for winning 50-50 balls and distributing just Fellainie does it fromantic a more midfield potion. Fellainie involves himself in the attack some witch Nemec could do too. Any thoughts on this?

I'm watching the Man Utd Vs Arsenal game and the thought hit me. Why don't we convert Nemec to play a style of football like Marouane Fellainie? They are both used for winning 50-50 balls and distributing just Fellainie does it fromantic a more midfield potion. Fellainie involves himself in the attack some witch Nemec could do too. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know that I've ever heard an argument of "Why don't we make a player more like Fellaini" lol.

In seriousness, I don't think that would fit the style Kreis is looking for. We are definitely a tiki/taka possession side, so if we're shooting balls into the midfield, things are going very badly. I think he fits better as a forward so our midfielders have a choice of passing to the speedy Villa or going aerial with Nemec. which creates more matchup issues for the defense.

I don't want to be too critical but I have to say this: All I remember from watching him playing VS OCSC is his impressive cool mohawk hair do.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Weakest link again this game. He played one really nice ball to Villa that should have ended in a goal, but he's far too wasteful in front of goal. The shot near the end of the game outside the 18 that he skied basically summed up his performance.
I think the problem is that Shelton looks so good coming off the bench, I'm not sure if he would be as good starting. Aside from the first few minutes he was on, he slowly became less and less involved.

I think one reason Shelton looks so good coming on is Nemec is still in there keeping the defenders occupied. Obviously Mullins has to get props for the position too now. I still say Nemec starts until NYCFC starts losing.

The problem with Nemec is expectation. he will never be a 20 goal a season player.

If there are two strikers, there tends to be three styles. You rarely get two big men but a little more often you will get a two little ones and most often a big one and a little one.

The smaller double pairing, something in which Argentina excels. These lads like Tevez, Aguero, to a degree Messi, Lavezzi, Higuain, Vietto will score you goals but you cannot vary the attack as much.

The big one and little one suits most clubs. Now if you look at the stats in nearly all cases the big fella will not score as many as the little fella, as his job is different. He will inevitable be the target man and the one to smash down the defensive wall while the little fella skips about getting the knock ons, the second ball, loose ball and the glory by scoring. A midfielder cannot do the damage from their position to a defence like the big fella can. You could see with twenty minutes left NER were tiring at the back as Orlando were and St Mirren. I am not sure how much of a co-incidence both NER and OC had players sent off for tired players committing tired tackles but i reckon there is something in it. This is because of the intense physical battle Nemec is putting up. Yes he missed chances but so did Mix and Villa. All players do. What he does is rough players up and drag them out of position. Villa is getting more and more space and will continue to do so as they play together more. The beauty is and Kreis knows this, is because the MLS is a league with big defenders and some tough players who would and will kick seven shades of shit out of Villa if he had Tony Taylor as back up. Nemec or Taylor in a dark alley? I think we all know who we would stake our chances against.

Now, both Shelton and Taylor have come on and scored just after Nemec has left the field. Is this because they are better or has Nemec softened them? A tired defender will miss tackles, if he mistimes them against Taylor or Shelton, he will be punished, if he misses the tackle completely we are 1v1 against the keeper. Oh yes, wet dream country. Have a quick scan of Mullins goal yesterday. Villa fit as a new born foal (because he is not using energy in physical battles) passes to Mullins who has out sprinted the drained defender. Nemec? Strangely he had just gone off just like the other scenarios.

Kreis also knows Shelton is young and needs some protection. What better to bring him against jaded defenders, score a few and boost his confidence without him getting the first 30 minute battering most defenders want to dish out. Taylor and Mullins will profit too. When Nemec gets injured then have a look at one of those three.

So, (sorry for the sermon) when you look at Nemec in the light of the big striker with the bulk rather than like Henry who was lithe, helping the little guy like Villa, he really is not doing a bad job at all. Ok Drogba could do both, bulked and scored, he was world class, Nemec aint, it is one or the other. In fact he will improve and i think some defences will have a problem. Added to the fact if Kreiss plays a diamond, the forward midfielder can also break through as a runner and score. Mix is in pole to do this and (whisper it) **coughs** Lampard has made a career of it.

I expect come the end of the season Villa will be 20-25 goals, a midfielder in the teens and Nemec probably in the low teens, there is @ 50 goals and going forward it will be ok. Just need the defence to hold it together at the back.

Thanks for your time if you have got this far and more important, your patience.

The problem with Nemec is expectation. he will never be a 20 goal a season player.

If there are two strikers, there tends to be three styles. You rarely get two big men but a little more often you will get a two little ones and most often a big one and a little one.

The smaller double pairing, something in which Argentina excels. These lads like Tevez, Aguero, to a degree Messi, Lavezzi, Higuain, Vietto will score you goals but you cannot vary the attack as much.

The big one and little one suits most clubs. Now if you look at the stats in nearly all cases the big fella will not score as many as the little fella, as his job is different. He will inevitable be the target man and the one to smash down the defensive wall while the little fella skips about getting the knock ons, the second ball, loose ball and the glory by scoring. A midfielder cannot do the damage from their position to a defence like the big fella can. You could see with twenty minutes left NER were tiring at the back as Orlando were and St Mirren. I am not sure how much of a co-incidence both NER and OC had players sent off for tired players committing tired tackles but i reckon there is something in it. This is because of the intense physical battle Nemec is putting up. Yes he missed chances but so did Mix and Villa. All players do. What he does is rough players up and drag them out of position. Villa is getting more and more space and will continue to do so as they play together more. The beauty is and Kreis knows this, is because the MLS is a league with big defenders and some tough players who would and will kick seven shades of shit out of Villa if he had Tony Taylor as back up. Nemec or Taylor in a dark alley? I think we all know who we would stake our chances against.

Now, both Shelton and Taylor have come on and scored just after Nemec has left the field. Is this because they are better or has Nemec softened them? A tired defender will miss tackles, if he mistimes them against Taylor or Shelton, he will be punished, if he misses the tackle completely we are 1v1 against the keeper. Oh yes, wet dream country. Have a quick scan of Mullins goal yesterday. Villa fit as a new born foal (because he is not using energy in physical battles) passes to Mullins who has out sprinted the drained defender. Nemec? Strangely he had just gone off just like the other scenarios.

Kreis also knows Shelton is young and needs some protection. What better to bring him against jaded defenders, score a few and boost his confidence without him getting the first 30 minute battering most defenders want to dish out. Taylor and Mullins will profit too. When Nemec gets injured then have a look at one of those three.

So, (sorry for the sermon) when you look at Nemec in the light of the big striker with the bulk rather than like Henry who was lithe, helping the little guy like Villa, he really is not doing a bad job at all. Ok Drogba could do both, bulked and scored, he was world class, Nemec aint, it is one or the other. In fact he will improve and i think some defences will have a problem. Added to the fact if Kreiss plays a diamond, the forward midfielder can also break through as a runner and score. Mix is in pole to do this and (whisper it) **coughs** Lampard has made a career of it.

I expect come the end of the season Villa will be 20-25 goals, a midfielder in the teens and Nemec probably in the low teens, there is @ 50 goals and going forward it will be ok. Just need the defence to hold it together at the back.

Thanks for your time if you have got this far and more important, your patience.

This is perfectly said.

Re-watched the game and came away appreciating his performance. Set up a Villa chance early flicking a header and it was more of the same the rest of the way. Held up play well, flicked some headers to dangerous positions, uses his chest well and set up some nice chances for Villa that weren't finished. Also showed a powerful right leg on the shot that hit the side netting. His biggest contribution was heading away free kicks in the box, he did a lot of things I liked. Except finish, there's gotta be nerves coming from a 2nd division squad and stepping into a strike partnership with freaking David Villa. But he's doing a lot that goes unnoticed.

he did his job as a target man this game. it wasnt pretty, he missed his one or two clear cut chances, but other than that he worked his ass off, won the ball, flicked many headers through and constantly contributed to our attack... im not a fan of the target man style, but he did well for it.

He has less time with the team than everyone else. And he was rusty. He's getting better by each game. He just needs one goal to get going. And he doesn't have to score every game. His job is to do the dirty work and the dirty work always gets completely overlooked in favor of goals.

In a game where we can get dominated he's a great outlet to have up front. As we were shown Nemec and Villa seem to be a good combination as Villa is allowed a free role ahead or behind him. He may not be ablue to hit a barn door but at least he holds the ball up and wins most things in the air which takes a lot of pressure off ours DM's and Defense

Reactions: NYCFC 12th man

Out of curiosity, can you give an example of a national team (other than the US) that uses a system like that? Of a big guy who can't score paired with a scorer?

Call me old fashioned, but I think the main goal of a forward is to score goals or set up goals. Nemec hasn't done any of that yet, for all the work he has put in. It takes more than being a good work horse to make it as a forward. Some people were acting like he was Drogba out there. He couldn't even complete easy passes and passed a free ball out for a throw in when he was unchallenged.
I don't think you can say Shelton and Mullins were effective after they came on because of Nemec tiring out the defense. I think it has to do with them actually being better soccer players. You don't think an athletic person like Khiry could run around all game and tire the defenders out, while actually scoring goals or getting assists?