Alexander Ring to NYCFC

The concensus in Finland is that the deal is done, waiting only to be confirmed either by NYCFC or Kaiserslautern.

What NYCFC is getting is an attack-minded, yet defensive central midfielder who can also play on the right, which is his position in the Finland team. When he burst through to the national team, he was a rash, aggressive youngster, who liked to go forward and tackle anything that moved, and naturally made his fair share of errors. That has faded in recent years, and Ring has become a calm and thoughtful midfielder who never shirks a hard tackle, but isn't in anyway rash anymore. He rarely loses the ball when in possession, has good skills, and can send a long pass with good accuracy. Not all of those balls land on his team-mates' feet, but that's how it goes. His time at Kaiserslautern has been a stop-start, with many niggling injuries, and constant changes of coaches.

As still relatively young (25) player, and with plenty of experience from tough international games, I think he will be a good addtion to the NYCFC side, but don't expect a flamboyant flair player, because he isn't a Fancy Dan. He's a solid worker with a good engine, who can go from box to box in full speed for 90 minutes.

When playing higher up the field, he can also chip in with a couple of goals, but in recent years he's been mostly deployed as a holding midfielder in front of the central defence.
One of my favorite things about this forum is the randoms that join following a rumor and give us great information about the player. Do stick around.

The concensus in Finland is that the deal is done, waiting only to be confirmed either by NYCFC or Kaiserslautern.

What NYCFC is getting is an attack-minded, yet defensive central midfielder who can also play on the right, which is his position in the Finland team. When he burst through to the national team, he was a rash, aggressive youngster, who liked to go forward and tackle anything that moved, and naturally made his fair share of errors. That has faded in recent years, and Ring has become a calm and thoughtful midfielder who never shirks a hard tackle, but isn't in anyway rash anymore. He rarely loses the ball when in possession, has good skills, and can send a long pass with good accuracy. Not all of those balls land on his team-mates' feet, but that's how it goes. His time at Kaiserslautern has been a stop-start, with many niggling injuries, and constant changes of coaches.

As still relatively young (25) player, and with plenty of experience from tough international games, I think he will be a good addtion to the NYCFC side, but don't expect a flamboyant flair player, because he isn't a Fancy Dan. He's a solid worker with a good engine, who can go from box to box in full speed for 90 minutes.

When playing higher up the field, he can also chip in with a couple of goals, but in recent years he's been mostly deployed as a holding midfielder in front of the central defence.

Ring and Ofori on either side of Pirlo sounds like it would be awesome. Two defensive-minded 8's that bomb forward and aren't afraid to strike, yet cover Pirlo's ass and high press.

Imagine Pirlo with the ball, our fullbacks and Ring and Ofori making short runs forward, while Villa and our wingers are deep.

Ring and Ofori on either side of Pirlo sounds like it would be awesome. Two defensive-minded 8's that bomb forward and aren't afraid to strike, yet cover Pirlo's ass and high press.

Imagine Pirlo with the ball, our fullbacks and Ring and Ofori making short runs forward, while Villa and our wingers are deep.
This makes me feel a bit better about the offseason so far. Still a lot to fill in, but our attack is slowly getting better -- which is scary.

I've got a highlight for you, an assist against Spain:

The commentator mistakenly credits it to Hämäläinen there, but it was Ring who gave that pass.

I have followed NYCFC a bit already these past few seasons (who doesn't love Pirlo?), and this transfer made it even more interesting team.

Last edited:

The commentator mistakenly credits it to Hämäläinen there, but it was Ring who gave that pass.

I have followed NYCFC a bit already these past few seasons (who doesn't love Pirlo?), and this transfer made it even more interesting team.
Great assist. Definitely excited if we make this move, which it's looking more and more that we will. Desperately need quality players to connect the back line to our forwards. Struggled badly with that last season.

Reactions: Kjbert

Do you see him as a defensive midfielder?

This is a beautiful goal all around. The first pass cuts out at least three Spanish players, the next one touches it out wide and then the cross is excellent.

Good question. He has played on a wing too, but I think that he is best suited to CM or DM due to his aggressive style and willingness to tackle. Does have some speed though. Annagram really nailed it in his/her scouting report.
Not really good at CDM i think. Better play him alongside Pirlo