Matarrita--Callens--Chanot--Allen----------

We could try:

Lewis/TMac-----Villa------Harrison/Shelton/Camargo
-------------------Ring--------------------
----------Pirlo---------Chanot------------
Matarrita--Callens--Brilliant--Allen----------

Reactions: Kjbert and yogicen
Didn't we try that with bravo and mix?

Yeah and neither of those players have to right skill set to do that. Bravo was missing the speed and offensive skill to go box to box and position himself in space to unlock Pirlo. Mix had the offensive side down and the work rate but he plays defense like a 12 year old afraid of getting hurt. It looks effective because he's all over the place but when it comes time to make a tackle he pokes at the ball, bounces off and never goes to ground. It might be annoying to the opposition but it rarely resulted in a dispossession or kept the opposition from doing what they wanted.

Yeah and neither of those players have to right skill set to do that. Bravo was missing the speed and offensive skill to go box to box and position himself in space to unlock Pirlo. Mix had the offensive side down and the work rate but he plays defense like a 12 year old afraid of getting hurt. It looks effective because he's all over the place but when it comes time to make a tackle he pokes at the ball, bounces off and never goes to ground. It might be annoying to the opposition but it rarely resulted in a dispossession or kept the opposition from doing what they wanted.
That's factually incorrect about Mix, but I'm done arguing about him.

Did we? I don't recall this at all, definitely not for any significant period of time.

I agree that a "flat" midfield of Ring - Pirlo - CM could work great with the right two mids alongside Pirlo, in theory.
My mind is going, but I thought before we went with Iraola that Bravo was the choice, and he never sat back like a CDM

Reactions: Kjbert
My mind is going, but I thought before we went with Iraola that Bravo was the choice, and he never sat back like a CDM

I'm almost positive he sat back like a CDM. People around here started talking like Bravo is one of the best CDM in the league after 2-3 good games there (I specifically remember arguing against the hype), then I think he got a red card or injury or something and was rotational for a while until Iraola took hold of the CDM spot.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Heres game 1: chicago mix and tmac at CM: (Diskerud highest rated player btw)
upload_2017-1-31_11-42-50.png
Game 2: weird box midfield with bravo next to Pirlo 343 -- Game 3 and 4 essentially same thing (bravo ended up next to Hernandez like a CB
upload_2017-1-31_11-38-45.png

Game 5: back to Mix and TMac next to Pirlo-- same for game 6
upload_2017-1-31_11-42-50.png

So looks like we tried to 2 CMs next to Pirlo, but it was Tmac and Mix. Didn't look too good in those early games either.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-31_11-36-32.png
    upload_2017-1-31_11-36-32.png
    40.6 KB · Views: 3
Heres game 1: chicago mix and tmac at CM: (Diskerud highest rated player btw)
View attachment 6435
Game 2: weird box midfield with bravo next to Pirlo 343 -- Game 3 and 4 essentially same thing (bravo ended up next to Hernandez like a CB
View attachment 6434

Game 5: back to Mix and TMac next to Pirlo-- same for game 6
View attachment 6435

So looks like we tried to 2 CMs next to Pirlo, but it was Tmac and Mix. Didn't look too good in those early games either.

Thanks for the deep dive.

I would argue that TMac definitely isn't the type of CM that would work next to Pirlo. One would think Mix is, but... let's not rehash that.

I still think it can work with two defensively-minded CMs with ability to go forward, rather than two offensively-minded CMs trying to remember to track back.

I think maybe you don't remember it because he was never in the right position. But he definitely wasn't going box to box very much.

eta: I see your data now. I'm sticking with the idea that he was at least supposed to be a dm most any time he played.