Alexis Lalas And Brad Friedel Close To Joining Fox

Twellman is awesome on twitter and in podcasts, but he sucks, along with Lalas as a color guy. He gets hung up on mistakes players make and bad referee calls, and whines about it more than he provides insight into the game. Love TT just not during games. Lalas is just a douche

I don't have twitter and don't watch any podcast's but you're right that is exactly what he does. He get's caught up on mistakes and will just hammer away at the same point.

Twellman is probably the most legit source when it comes to MLS inside information. He's not great in the color spot, but most people usually hate the color guys. I'm pretty sure every soccer fan HATES Alexi Lalas, but I can assure you ESPN loves him. With all sports, the guys the fans hate the most are generally the most successful.

Reactions: Kjbert
Twellman is probably the most legit source when it comes to MLS inside information. He's not great in the color spot, but most people usually hate the color guys. I'm pretty sure every soccer fan HATES Alexi Lalas, but I can assure you ESPN loves him. With all sports, the guys the fans hate the most are generally the most successful.
Couple things I'm having trouble understanding. Bear with me as I'm still kinda new to this world. Why is Lalas hated so much? There have been some annoying things he's done over the past couple years that I've been following, but I never really thought of him as a douche. And what do you mean, 'not great in the color spot'. I've never heard that term before.

Couple things I'm having trouble understanding. Bear with me as I'm still kinda new to this world. Why is Lalas hated so much? There have been some annoying things he's done over the past couple years that I've been following, but I never really thought of him as a douche. And what do you mean, 'not great in the color spot'. I've never heard that term before.
I like Lalas but on other soccer boards he is soundly bashed by MLS and US supporters. As far as Twellman, I don't think he is great in the booth, but he is ok. I love him on Twitter and podcasts. He however, is also bashed by many.

It's a common trait of successful people in the sports broadcast industry. Everyone hates Joe Buck, but he is at the top of the Fox chain.

Speaking of awkward Landon Donovan, have you noticed that all American soccer players, more or less, speak exactly the same? I was watching the post-match interview with Lee Nguyen last night and if I closed my eyes, he would have sounded like 100 other MLS players. Before the game, they had Michael Parkhurst on. Sounded exactly the same as well.

I hope none of them ever do TV work.
It's funny I was just thinking that all English players and broadcasters sound exactly the same. I mean Landon is from LA & Lee Nguyen is from Texas but yeah they sound exactly alike.

I like Lalas but on other soccer boards he is soundly bashed by MLS and US supporters. As far as Twellman, I don't think he is great in the booth, but he is ok. I love him on Twitter and podcasts. He however, is also bashed by many.

It's a common trait of successful people in the sports broadcast industry. Everyone hates Joe Buck, but he is at the top of the Fox chain.
Joe Buck deserves every bit of the bashing. His voice sounds awful and as far as I'm concerned he just enjoys hearing himself talk.

You know Twitter isn't like cable, right? You don't have to "have" it. It is just there.

Yes I'm aware of that and what I meant was I don't have a twitter account so I am unaware how much less of a douche Twellman is on twitter.

Why is Lalas hated so much?

I'm among the few how DON'T hate Lalas. I think he's entertaining and brings life to otherwise boring American soccer broadcasts. He's probably disliked as much as he is because he's not afraid to give his opinion.

He's got balls and I respect that regardless if I agree with him or not. I mean, the guy told the USMNT to their face and in front of the cameras on ESPN in Time Square that he didn't think they'd make it out of the group stage and challenged them to prove him wrong. :)

He throws down the gauntlet around the 5:32 mark:

Reactions: Vito
Yeah that's the thing with Lalas, he always comes tries to make it seem that his MNTs were the best and the current crop would be lucky to have him playing. That comment came straight out of hater town. You may be the only one who doesn't hate Lalas. That comment was example 1 of why he is a douche.

I don't understand the hate on Lalas. He's actually very self- deprecating so I don't believe he was hating on the USMNT for saying he didn't think they'd advance. It was an EXTREMELY hard group. We had the champions, the team that knocked us out last two times and the world's best player on the 3rd team. Most people that weren't American believed we wouldn't advance.

He's one of the biggest USMNT cheerleaders on Earth and he always talks about how the expectations for the team now are much higher than ever so not aure where you get the feeling he thinks his teams were better back in the day.

Don't know much about Friedel, but I like Lalas so I am happy with this.

Yeah I don't know much about Friedel especially as a commentator. But I'll assume he's got some knowledge of soccer considering he's freaking 43 and still playing in the English Premiere League. Albeit as a 3rd string keeper for Tottenham he's still got a contract and that's very impressive.

Yeah I don't know much about Friedel especially as a commentator.

He's done some work in the booth for the BPL on NBC this season and last season (along with Tim Howard too).

He's pretty monotone and low-key so he doesn't bring much to the table as far as livening up the conversation, certainly not nearly as animated as Ian Darke or Twellman.

Brad Friedel has appeared on Match of the Day a few times over here in the UK and he's always seemed alright. Fairly astute observations and seems a friendly bloke but a bit quiet at times. Should make a good addition.

Brad Friedel has appeared on Match of the Day a few times over here in the UK and he's always seemed alright. Fairly astute observations and seems a friendly bloke but a bit quiet at times. Should make a good addition.
Just wanted to say Freidal's play in England has nothing to do with his fame in the US. It's all about the 2002 World Cup.

Twellman is irritating to my ear. For some reason, it drives me nuts when soccer commentators don't pronounce "-ing" and instead say shootin' and passin', and Twellman is a major offender. Also, he is a douche on Twitter. As for Lalas, he is very opinionated, and that gets him into trouble. I prefer him to Taylor.

Friedel, hopefully, will shake that fake British accent of his. Ugh.