Away - August 11 - Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adductors are really serious. We've seen it in the last few years that they can be a lingering injury and take a long time to properly heal. I would be pretty shocked if he played in 5 days if he can't even go tonight.

Adductors are really serious. We've seen it in the last few years that they can be a lingering injury and take a long time to properly heal. I would be pretty shocked if he played in 5 days if he can't even go tonight.
Yep, they’re also many times confused with a sports hernia. And if a SH isn’t properly diagnosed at the start, it can linger indefinitely....

giphy.gif

I joked about this one post above, but this does disappoint me. Even though it has seemed like they have been uniquely fortunate avoiding injuries to their top players, I'd rather play them full strength.
Agree in principle, but Martinez is a class-A d-bag, and karma is a bitch so it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving guy. If he got the same treatment that most other players receive, he’d be tossed from games far more often and not benefit from so many PKs, but he’s definitely been tagged as hands-off.

Karma for his cutesy “I’m going to skip to the penalty spot” run up.

He’s also money against NYCFC so if this is true it’s good news.

Somehow even with Martinez on the sidelines, he's still going to earn a penalty by flopping or running into chanot's foot as he tries to clear.

Reactions: Sabo
Looks like Ring is in trouble again, so is Taty. So is Sweat, but he's hurt. Heber has a chance at a reduction.

Screenshot 2019-08-09 10.50.08.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
doesn't sound like it's a very serious adductor injury after all.

re: yellow cards

Ring's yellow card last night was unnecessary. But that is Ring. I wouldn't mind if he got another one next game if necessary but only if necessary. He'd be suspended vs. Cinci, which isn't a big deal.

When Taty took off his jersey i just face palmed cause I knew he had a lot of yellow cards already. Would have been worse if he had earned a suspension due to that celebration. I will never understand why players think that's a good way to celebrate when they all KNOW it will get them a yellow card.

doesn't sound like it's a very serious adductor injury after all.

re: yellow cards

Ring's yellow card last night was unnecessary. But that is Ring. I wouldn't mind if he got another one next game if necessary but only if necessary. He'd be suspended vs. Cinci, which isn't a big deal.

When Taty took off his jersey i just face palmed cause I knew he had a lot of yellow cards already. Would have been worse if he had earned a suspension due to that celebration. I will never understand why players think that's a good way to celebrate when they all KNOW it will get them a yellow card.

I just think guys go full-on crazy when they score a winner like that -- he's not thinking about the yellow card there, he's just reacting and not thinking.

That said -- the yellow card for taking your shirt off is the dumbest rule in soccer. Get rid of it.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I just think guys go full-on crazy when they score a winner like that -- he's not thinking about the yellow card there, he's just reacting and not thinking.

That said -- the yellow card for taking your shirt off is the dumbest rule in soccer. Get rid of it.

the rule came about because of a particular instance where a player took off his shirt to reveal another shirt underneath that had some kind of political protest/message on it. a better rule would be a yellow card for having an undershirt that had writing or graphics on it. wear your undershirt if it's plain and your team colors and take off your shirt if you want.

i agree a yellow for simply taking off the jersey is stupid. no foresight in that rule at all.

the rule came about because of a particular instance where a player took off his shirt to reveal another shirt underneath that had some kind of political protest/message on it. a better rule would be a yellow card for having an undershirt that had writing or graphics on it. wear your undershirt if it's plain and your team colors and take off your shirt if you want.

i agree a yellow for simply taking off the jersey is stupid. no foresight in that rule at all.
Interestingly, there's already a rule for that messaging: https://www.theifab.com/laws/chapter/24/section/49/

It says referees should "take action" but doesn't prescribe what kind.

I don't know how ripping off a shirt as a celebration started tbh but it's awesome.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I don't know how ripping off a shirt as a celebration started tbh but it's awesome.
Matter of taste I guess. Always struck me as one of the dumbest (though admittedly harmless) things around. I'm very glad it has not caught on more generally to replace, say, fist bumps or high fives. Don't need to see most people taking their shirts off in public for, well, anything really.

Matter of taste I guess. Always struck me as one of the dumbest (though admittedly harmless) things around. I'm very glad it has not caught on more generally to replace, say, fist bumps or high fives. Don't need to see most people taking their shirts off in public for, well, anything really.
Lol the fact that it doesn't seem to make any kind of sense is what makes me cherish it. Although, tbf, fist bumps and high fives are similarly nonsensical, just generalized enough so as not to be absurd.

Yeah but what if the plain white tee is the message? How would you ever distinguish meaning from laundry day issues? Perhaps we just keep the rule as keep your shirt on, that seems simple enough to follow even in a moment of passion.

Like the other day I walked up to my car as the meter maid was ticketing the car behind me for an expired meter and I was next..... I was pretty stoked I got there in time.... I didn't rip my shirt off and run around, I acted like an adult and moved on, then I proceeded to force that anecdote into every conversation I could for a week to show off my good fortune.... like an adult would do.

Last edited:
Yeah but what if the plain white tee is the message? How would you ever distinguish meaning from laundry day issues? Perhaps we just keep the rule as your shirt on, that seems simple enough to follow even in a moment of passion.

Like the other day I walked up to my car as the meter maid was ticketing the car behind me for an expired meter and I was next..... I was pretty stoked I got there in time.... I didn't rip my shirt off and run around, I acted like an adult and moved on, then I proceeded to force that anecdote into every conversation I could for a week to show off my good fortune.... like an adult would do.

even if you did take off your top and run around, that is your right as a new yorker! topless for ALL!

Reactions: adam
Lol the fact that it doesn't seem to make any kind of sense is what makes me cherish it. Although, tbf, fist bumps and high fives are similarly nonsensical, just generalized enough so as not to be absurd.
It's even more dopey/endearing when they wear the biometric undergarment so it looks like the men have a sports bra on. I presume the impetus behind removing the shirt -- when not meant to reveal a message undershirt -- is a literal chest beating sort of thing like this.

giphy.gif

But that 2-piece bathing suit look really undermines it.

Status
Not open for further replies.