Leagues Cup - August 13 - Tigres (Away)

Tigres fans putting World Trade Center images in the team's mentions is just horrible. Mexican fans are so immature.

Anyways ...

WOW! That is an incredible, incredible win. I did not see that coming. As former NY Rangers coach John Tortorella used to say, "Balls as big as the building."

The little one-touch passing on the 2nd goal between Maxi and Santi was tremendous. A game where we take our chances, played with courage, and played with confidence. Tremendous performance.

Also a tremendous performance by all the NYCFC fans who made the trip to RBA on a Tuesday night on short notice. That was big-time. I was not expecting to have a full supporters' section in the building tonight. Great job to everyone who went.

LigaMX fans don’t disappoint:
View attachment 13466
I guess it’s safe to assume these morons don’t know about the many Mexican citizens who needlessly lost their lives that day as well as the many undocumented workers (many believed to have been Mexican) who also were sadly killed. While I expect this is commonplace from a (small?) segment of LigaMX and as we have seen Philly fans, it’s still sad to imagine that anyone could mix sports and such a horrible event.

I do not judge any group by how some segment of them shows up on Twitter.
- Nietzsche
Fair, and same. I'm not even that offended by the 9/11 imagery; It more that it's another brick in the wall of why Leagues Cup sucks,
for all the other reasons I've stated ad nauseam: disrupt and disbalance the MLS season, destroy the playoff format, add extra double game weeks, and until our stadium finally opens force NYCFC into the worst schedules in its history (2023 and 2024 featured the only consecutive 4-game Away sets in team history, both requiring 4 games in 2 weeks, with NYC earning 4 points in the 8 games). And the upside is the LMX fans' lovely chants, and their social media use of 9/11 plus don't forget comparing Twellman to Goebbels.
We did get a great game last night; OTOH we also got the lackluster 0-1 loss to Atlas featuring a reversed goal that took forever and a frustrating 0-0 draw with the worst team in LigaMX, plus additional games against the same teams we always play, except more often in RBA.

What happened to Grey after the game? did he just collapse? or was he just feeling that injury from earlier in the game? it looked serious.

Reactions: gbservis
I think that was the best overall performance this team has ever had under Cushing. I've been racking my brain trying to think the last time we played that well, that intelligently, with that intensity, against a team that was also firing on all cylinders.
Can’t disagree, and it begs the question, why? Was it the specific lineup combination and fitness of those players? Something that was said pregame? Playing to the level of the opposition? Pure randomness?

If it’s playing to the level of the opposition—which we have seen in reverse as well, all too often—then it is on the coaches to get this performance more consistently.

Can’t disagree, and it begs the question, why? Was it the specific lineup combination and fitness of those players? Something that was said pregame? Playing to the level of the opposition? Pure randomness?

If it’s playing to the level of the opposition—which we have seen in reverse as well, all too often—then it is on the coaches to get this performance more consistently.
Clearly it was the whiteboard message. 😂

But yeah, this felt like the most heart the team has ever played with. I thought they were cooked around the 60 minute mark.

Maxi + Santi figuring out how to effectively play together, and Maxi coming off enough rest to play at close to 100 percent.

Macfarlane’s rapid improvement and impact going forward.

Smart plan by Cushing and bringing the right subs to control the clock late.

Seemed like they played up to the challenge with the level of heart and intensity.

Nick had multiple good intensity games in 2022 before the roster exploded, remained empty for 70% of a season and finally was replaced with mostly U22s: the 4-4 comeback draw against Cincinnati, 1-0 over RB in RBA, Taty's last game (2-0 over Miami). He finished the season getting 9 of 9 points via 2-0 over RB to end a 5-game winless streak, 2-1 comeback over Orlando and 2-1 Away in Atlanta, moving up 2 maybe 3 spots in the standings and earning a playoff home game. Then 2 professional playoff wins over Miami and Montreal, ending Nancy's time with club de foot on a home loss. He also had that 5 game winless streak. He wasn't flawless. But he showed an ability to get good performances from a competently constructed roster.

There's been a lot less since then to be sure, and I've criticized him for much of the last 2 years, even if a lot les than some. I think he was brought back for 2024 in substantial part because Lee realized it was unfair to can someone after making him work with a bare shell of a team for 24 games. But fair shouldn't matter. Kreis did not get a fair shake and it was right to fire him. It's possible and I think probable that this is a poorly designed roster and also Nick is not the the best coach for it. But yeah, some short memories showing in this thread: last night was by no means the first time we've seen verve and energy by NYCFC under Nick. You just have to go back to a roster that made sense.

Reactions: Kenny and JayH

I loved the front-four. Alonso, Santi, Maxi, Wolf is a dynamic and exciting front four. I thought it was a great starting XI which played into our strengths.

Tigres had their chances, but I was so impressed with how we largely kept them at bay. Keaton was so immense in the midfield, he was dancing on 'em all night.