Leagues Cup - August 13 - Tigres (Away)

Can’t disagree, and it begs the question, why? Was it the specific lineup combination and fitness of those players? Something that was said pregame? Playing to the level of the opposition? Pure randomness?

If it’s playing to the level of the opposition—which we have seen in reverse as well, all too often—then it is on the coaches to get this performance more consistently.
Hopefully, it's just a sign that we are continuing to improve. We had a poor start to the season, and then got a lot better. Last night was an even higher level of quality - one that, if we can maintain it, puts us in the running for MLS Cup.

Reactions: Kenny
I loved the front-four. Alonso, Santi, Maxi, Wolf is a dynamic and exciting front four. I thought it was a great starting XI which played into our strengths.

Tigres had their chances, but I was so impressed with how we largely kept them at bay. Keaton was so immense in the midfield, he was dancing on 'em all night.

i liked the front four as well. sometimes wolf and martinez drive me nuts with their poor decisions in the final 3rd. wolf especially. but i can't fault anybody for a complete team performance yesterday.

i agree that parks had his best game of the season yesterday. he was mostly very clean in progression and distribution and noticeably made an effort to track back to defend. i was very happy about that.

another solid performance that didn't get much highlight is from tanas. he's been a liability most times he's been on the field, but he was solid yesterday and AMAZINGLY did not even get a yellow card (though that might have been due to the ref more than anything...)

Reactions: Kenny and Gene
Surprised to not see much mention of the game Tayvon Gray had last night.

He was stellar defensively and on top of that, made great decisions passing the ball.

He didn't connect on most of his progressive pass attempts, but he was getting close and putting in very low risk, high reward progressive passing attempts. One of those connected with Maxi and although not an assist or directly lead to the first goal, put the ball into the final third prior to the goal being scored.

Those are the types of passes you want from your fullbacks. If it's intercepted or turned over at the receiving end of the pass, the ball is lost in a safe position and "oh well". But if you connect, it can create some great opportunities.

Hopefully, it's just a sign that we are continuing to improve. We had a poor start to the season, and then got a lot better. Last night was an even higher level of quality - one that, if we can maintain it, puts us in the running for MLS Cup.

I think this is a symptom of being a young team. We will be inconsistent and have awful performances sometimes but when we have a good night, it's going to be a very good night.

Fair, and same. I'm not even that offended by the 9/11 imagery; It more that it's another brick in the wall of why Leagues Cup sucks,
for all the other reasons I've stated ad nauseam: disrupt and disbalance the MLS season, destroy the playoff format, add extra double game weeks, and until our stadium finally opens force NYCFC into the worst schedules in its history (2023 and 2024 featured the only consecutive 4-game Away sets in team history, both requiring 4 games in 2 weeks, with NYC earning 4 points in the 8 games). And the upside is the LMX fans' lovely chants, and their social media use of 9/11 plus don't forget comparing Twellman to Goebbels.
We did get a great game last night; OTOH we also got the lackluster 0-1 loss to Atlas featuring a reversed goal that took forever and a frustrating 0-0 draw with the worst team in LigaMX, plus additional games against the same teams we always play, except more often in RBA.
It was also the best atmosphere I’ve ever experienced at RBA. Not toxic like the derbies or that infamous Costa Rica USMNT loss in 2017. The Tigres fans were loud but mostly civil (a couple of P*tos aside) and our SS kept it going all night. Also tons of vendors set up in the parking lots and the plaza, even selling bootleg NYCFC jerseys, which is a first for me.

i agree that parks had his best game of the season yesterday. he was mostly very clean in progression and distribution and noticeably made an effort to track back to defend. i was very happy about that.

Yup, I have been harsh on Parks lately, but he turned it around and had a great game yesterday. Made some key passes and much-needed ball winning/retention at times.

I thought Wolf was pretty poor - I kept thinking if he was more competent we would be winning more easily.

Surprised the second goal stood - Maxi looked like he nudged the kicker which let to the turnover.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I was watching back the "thank you maxi" video with his top 10 goals pre-departure and I noticed he scores exactly the goal he scored last night a LOT
Maybe I don't know what you mean by "exactly the goal he scored last night". I saw 1, maybe an argument for a second of the 10 goals in this video that looked like his goal last night.