Away - Dallas 09/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 3311
Here's today's slate of games and Columbus plays Dallas tomorrow.

Best case is a draw in the first two games, and losses for TFC and Philly.
I disagree, strongly, about one game. We are not catching New England so we want New England to beat Orlando. Even if New England were to tie tonight, they could then have a medium collapse, win 2 tie 1 and lose 4 and still have 45 points. We can only get to 45 points by winning at a minimum 5 of our remaining 7 games. Oh, and one more thing. After tonight New England has 4 of its remaining 7 games against Montreal (2), Chicago, and Philly. So if they do suffer a total collapse, and lose 5 or more of their last 7 games, that gives points to the teams we are really fighting. We are not catching New England. We do not want to catch New England. We want New England to beat Orlando, then Montreal twice, Chicago and Philly.

Also, Toronto is even further ahead of us than New England. But as they are playing a Western Conference team their game is an irrelevancy so feel free to root for them to lose if it makes you feel better. But as a matter of math it is essentially irrelevant. Even if they lose tonight they stilll have a 9-point lead on us plus a game in hand plus 6 of their 8 remaining games are at home. If they win 2, tie 2, and lose 4 they also get 45 points, which as previously noted is a near-impossibility for us.

The only teams we care about are Orlando, Montreal, Chicago and Philadelphia.

I disagree, strongly, about one game. We are not catching New England so we want New England to beat Orlando. Even if New England were to tie tonight, they could then have a medium collapse, win 2 tie 1 and lose 4 and still have 45 points. We can only get to 45 points by winning at a minimum 5 of our remaining 7 games. Oh, and one more thing. After tonight New England has 4 of its remaining 7 games against Montreal (2), Chicago, and Philly. So if they do suffer a total collapse, and lose 5 or more of their last 7 games, that gives points to the teams we are really fighting. We are not catching New England. We do not want to catch New England. We want New England to beat Orlando, then Montreal twice, Chicago and Philly.

Also, Toronto is even further ahead of us than New England. But as they are playing a Western Conference team their game is an irrelevancy so feel free to root for them to lose if it makes you feel better. But as a matter of math it is essentially irrelevant. Even if they lose tonight they stilll have a 9-point lead on us plus a game in hand plus 6 of their 8 remaining games are at home. If they win 2, tie 2, and lose 4 they also get 45 points, which as previously noted is a near-impossibility for us.

The only teams we care about are Orlando, Montreal, Chicago and Philadelphia.
I'd add to that we want Chicago to beat Montreal. Yes it puts Chicago two points ahead of us but Montreal is the bigger hurdle to our playoff hopes. They need to lose, lose, lose.

Yes, I think all things considered at the moment, the best result would be for both Montreal and Orlando to lose.

And Seattle should beat Toronto. They've never made the playoffs. So there's a good possibility of a complete collapse on their end.

And Seattle should beat Toronto. They've never made the playoffs. So there's a good possibility of a complete collapse on their end.
Possibly but I doubt we have any chance at playoffs except #6 position.

Drogba just did further damage to our chances.

Last edited:
This Montreal-Chicago game is crazy. Drogba with two on the night after a controversial quick restart off a free kick outside the box.

Now Drogba has a hat trick. MTL 4-3 after 65'.

Chicago can't equalize and Montreal picks up all the three points. Our playoff hopes continue to looker bleaker and bleaker everyday.

Last edited:
This Montreal-Chicago game is crazy. Drogba with two on the night after a controversial quick restart off a free kick outside the box.

Now Drogba has a hat trick. MTL 4-3 after 65'.
So it's possible for former Chelsea players to join midseason and actually contribute?

Toronto's starting 11 is crazy. Josh Williams, NYCFC's former player, has to start because of all their injuries, suspensions, and international duty. It's basically Bradley versus Seattle.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Anyone watch the Dallas match last night? I watched it for a while. They were playing something like six guys we won't likely see due to int'l callups, but they looked very fast and were playing five at the back. Columbus couldn't crack their defense.

Interesting that Columbus had so much possession. I think maybe teams are allowing us to have a lot of possession because they are not afraid of us and that gives them a better chance to exploit our defense out of position. Just a thought.

Anyone watch the Dallas match last night? I watched it for a while. They were playing something like six guys we won't likely see due to int'l callups, but they looked very fast and were playing five at the back. Columbus couldn't crack their defense.

Interesting that Columbus had so much possession. I think maybe teams are allowing us to have a lot of possession because they are not afraid of us and that gives them a better chance to exploit our defense out of position. Just a thought.
Agreed, that's what LA did against us

I watched it. Dallas was missing a lot of regulars and the only missing player I noticed for Columbus was Kamara (a big loss but still Dallas was missing like half their starters). Even so, Dallas looked the better side and that match was in Columbus where Crew usually dominate. I guess the major takeaway is that Crew is very reliant on Kamara while FCD has a lot of depth, most of which seemed to be very young homegrowns.

This. It seems like teams have been waiting for us to over commit, especially out of the back with Angelino or Iraola (sometimes both) wait for a giveaway or change of possession and then pounce on transition. We often don't have sufficient cover (especially with Pirlo and AJ) and then you have an odd man rush. So many of our goals against are easy tap-ins on the break.

Status
Not open for further replies.