Away - Timbers 05/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be asking a reporter a few questions about the Timbers.

Anyone have anything they'd like to have answered?

Don't worry, I'm already asking about Grabavoy.

nothing else is relevant....or maybe ask if they also hate us like the rest of the MLS does.

Yes, how about:

Was last year's Timbers team an overachiever that probably won the cup when they weren't the best team, which would explain this year's record, or is this year's record not a true reflection of the team's quality?

I'm curious what they think and if they can be objective, because RB is in a similar situation, having won the Supporter's Shield. I personally think last year was an outlier for them and they really are just a middling, middle-of the pack team that had a lot of cards fall their way with a system foreign to MLS. This year seems to be similar to the years before last.
That's a great question and will be the first one I ask.

That's a great question and will be the first one I ask.
I want to clarify that I meant that RB's season last year was a complete outlier and they really are the middling team - I have no opinion on the Timbers.

According to the May 10th update of MLSSoccer.com's injury report, RJ is listed as OUT.

Reactions: Kjbert
According to the May 10th update of MLSSoccer.com's injury report, RJ is listed as OUT.
He looked miserable against DC - was grimacing every time the camera was on him especially during stoppages when jogging back on D.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I'd rather have him rest up and be ready for the derby. Show his RBII brother that the family is blue.
You'll probably get your wish on this one #RestRJ

I think our best bet is to play the most defensively sound 4 in the back against Portland, and I think someone mentioned this upthread, counter the hell out of them. Mendoza, Villa, Shelton up top; Mix, Lopez and Ballouchy (who does the holding), with Mata, Hernandez, Brillant and Andoni in the back.

Just try to reenforce being calculated when you counter and not let too many men get forward. We say this because Portland is a pretty good team, though I think we can all agree that NYC really could and should win with the way we're playing, but I'd be happy with a draw. Who knows, though, something weird is clicking and we're finally getting bounces that go our way (Shelton's shoulder goal). So, why not just win? Forget everything I just said and go with what's been successful for us.

I think our best bet is to play the most defensively sound 4 in the back against Portland, and I think someone mentioned this upthread, counter the hell out of them. Mendoza, Villa, Shelton up top; Mix, Lopez and Ballouchy (who does the holding), with Mata, Hernandez, Brillant and Andoni in the back.

Just try to reenforce being calculated when you counter and not let too many men get forward. We say this because Portland is a pretty good team, though I think we can all agree that NYC really could and should win with the way we're playing, but I'd be happy with a draw. Who knows, though, something weird is clicking and we're finally getting bounces that go our way (Shelton's shoulder goal). So, why not just win? Forget everything I just said and go with what's been successful for us.
I bet Vieira will always play the possession game and never the counter.

Our team is too good to play counterattacking, if you have the ability to dominate a game its the best option generally especially when we have Pirlo.

Our team is too good to play counterattacking, if you have the ability to dominate a game its the best option generally especially when we have Pirlo.

Wouldn't a guy like Pirlo make you want to play counter attack? I'm not great with tactics, but I would think having someone like Pirlo or Gerrard that can spray the ball all over the field would be a team that plays counter attack. Just a thought?

Frank and Jack making the trip (credit: Blue City Radio).

I think we see Lampard off the bench if we're chasing a goal for Lopez, Mix starts for Bravo.

Mid-week both Lampard and Mix play with Harrison playing LW for McNamara.

Wouldn't a guy like Pirlo make you want to play counter attack? I'm not great with tactics, but I would think having someone like Pirlo or Gerrard that can spray the ball all over the field would be a team that plays counter attack. Just a thought?
The problem is that you have to sit back and defend for most of the game so he would just be a passenger. I see your point though, if we could manage defensively then it would be really effective. If we were going to go counter attack Poku would be perfect as he will have lost of space to run into and the opposition will not have much defensive cover.

The problem is that you have to sit back and defend for most of the game so he would just be a passenger. I see your point though, if we could manage defensively then it would be really effective. If we were going to go counter attack Poku would be perfect as he will have lost of space to run into and the opposition will not have much defensive cover.

Which is why Poku needs to realize that if he would just put in the work effort defensively, this system is build PERFECTLY for him to play in front of Bravo and Pirlo and underneath Villa. If PV can't get through to him, then he shouldn't be on the team.

Perfect.

#8 playing on that crap field in Portland = reinjuring the oft injured calf muscle thus returning to day to day for the next 6 weeks.

Frank and Jack making the trip (credit: Blue City Radio).
So is Lampard suddenly game fit, or is this being done for appearances?* I'm going to assume this is the latter unless I seem him in the 18. Hey look, he actually is part of the team.

* Which I would be OK with. I just posted yesterday that he needs to start doing things for appearances sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.