Away - Timbers 05/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is Lampard suddenly game fit, or is this being done for appearances?* I'm going to assume this is the latter unless I seem him in the 18. Hey look, he actually is part of the team.

* Which I would be OK with. I just posted yesterday that he needs to start doing things for appearances sake.
Maybe it's an opportunity to get to know the lads better or something. And explore another city.

So is Lampard suddenly game fit, or is this being done for appearances?* I'm going to assume this is the latter unless I seem him in the 18. Hey look, he actually is part of the team.

* Which I would be OK with. I just posted yesterday that he needs to start doing things for appearances sake.
He only practiced with the first team for a little bit before hobbling off on his own. He's not playing. But just wait until he's listed as questionable like he has literally every other week, except for two, since he's been out.

I watched a big chunk of the last two Timbers games and our game is a big one for them. They bossed the first half and then gave up 2 goals in 2 minutes and really fell apart the 2nd. 2 games in a row they coughed up a lead and lost. It was really humid last night. Nobody is used to that yet and most of the players were more gassed than usual. I think their regulars are going to have tired legs. The flip side is I am expecting PV to rest some of our guys on the turf. With Bravo out it seems like this is a perfect game to put Mix or Grabavoy;) in for Pirlo and Villa has played just about every minute this season. Wondering if he is going to get a breather this game.

I watched a big chunk of the last two Timbers games and our game is a big one for them. They bossed the first half and then gave up 2 goals in 2 minutes and really fell apart the 2nd. 2 games in a row they coughed up a lead and lost. It was really humid last night. Nobody is used to that yet and most of the players were more gassed than usual. I think their regulars are going to have tired legs. The flip side is I am expecting PV to rest some of our guys on the turf. With Bravo out it seems like this is a perfect game to put Mix or Grabavoy;) in for Pirlo and Villa has played just about every minute this season. Wondering if he is going to get a breather this game.
I don't think they rest their big name guys this game.

It's been a week since the last game and I fully expect Vieira to rest key guys like Villa and Pirlo against Toronto instead, simply so they're fresh for the derby.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
What day does the team travel for a west coast game? I'd think leaving today after practice would make the most sense - gives them Friday to have a session on jet-lagged legs, and then Saturday as a more normal session where hopefully there is spring back in their steps.

I don't think they rest their big name guys this game.

It's been a week since the last game and I fully expect Vieira to rest key guys like Villa and Pirlo against Toronto instead, simply so they're fresh for the derby.
I've been thinking about this. Does Vieira actually care more about the derby? But seriously though, would he prioritize that game over another game? There's a 50/50 split in my head whether he would prioritize that game our would treat it like any other game.

Perfect.

#8 playing on that crap field in Portland = reinjuring the oft injured calf muscle thus returning to day to day for the next 6 weeks.

Yup, Lampard makes the 18 (shock! awe!) and then comes in at about the 85th minute, jogs around a bit, and then has "aggravated" the injury due to the turf so will be day-to-day for the next month or so.

I've been thinking about this. Does Vieira actually care more about the derby? But seriously though, would he prioritize that game over another game? There's a 50/50 split in my head whether he would prioritize that game our would treat it like any other game.
I suspect he does at some level because:
(1) It is a home match against an eastern conference team which are the most important times to get three points.
(2) Simply as a human being and a competitor, he cannot be entirely immune to the extra import that the fans and likely some of the players will place on it, the environment in the stadium, the extra national attention that this game will get, the implications for marketing the team, etc.

So, my guess is that it means something to him, though I doubt it is nearly as distinctive from other matches for him as it is for us.

its gonna be cloudy maybe even raining at game time....so expect a messy game

Reactions: Kjbert
I suspect he does at some level because:
(1) It is a home match against an eastern conference team which are the most important times to get three points.
(2) Simply as a human being and a competitor, he cannot be entirely immune to the extra import that the fans and likely some of the players will place on it, the environment in the stadium, the extra national attention that this game will get, the implications for marketing the team, etc.

So, my guess is that it means something to him, though I doubt it is nearly as distinctive from other matches for him as it is for us.
I fully agree and hope that he does indeed see it as a big game for us.

Not just because it's an Eastern Conference game but because it's Jersey.

He's played for Arsenal, he knows how big London derbies are, especially the North London Derby. If he doesn't put out our best team for the RBNY game, he'll be eaten alive. ESPECIALLY if we lose.

He's played for Arsenal, he knows how big London derbies are, especially the North London Derby. If he doesn't put out our best team for the RBNJ game, he'll be eaten alive. ESPECIALLY if we lose.

so then against toronto well see more subs playing ?

Reactions: Ulrich

He's played for Arsenal, he knows how big London derbies are, especially the North London Derby. If he doesn't put out our best team for the RBNJ game, he'll be eaten alive. ESPECIALLY if we lose.

I hope the team approaches the derby with a lot more fire this year. While there's no doubt that NJRB were the better team last year, they also appeared to take the games more seriously, which was very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.