Barcelona in NYC

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Wasn't there talk (or at least rumors) of the Champions League considering playing a match or two outside of Europe? Imagine how much money a Champions League match (even in the group stage) between Barcelona and any other team would make anywhere in the US.

Wasn't there talk (or at least rumors) of the Champions League considering playing a match or two outside of Europe? Imagine how much money a Champions League match (even in the group stage) between Barcelona and any other team would make anywhere in the US.
How could teams realistically travel to NYC (or farther inland) in the small window during the week and play the game without jet lag and heavy legs?

Reactions: Angela Miller

Barcelona vs. Man City at Yankee Stadium, Champions League group stage leg

Actually the game would probably be moved to MetLife for the cash grab

Reactions: Goodfella
How could teams realistically travel to NYC (or farther inland) in the small window during the week and play the game without jet lag and heavy legs?
Play a Saturday match, fly out Sunday, Wednesday CL, fly home, play a Sunday match.

Flight from Madrid to Moscow is 2,140 miles
Flight form Madrid to NYC 3,588

Wouldn't be a HUGE difference in terms of travel and logistics but the revenue would be well worth it. You have to imagine a team like Benfica, Napoli, Porto or Moscow would LOVE to get a portion of that.

Obviously the USA is an example, you can imagine Qatar or other wealthy middle eastern nations would likely want a piece of the action too.

Play a Saturday match, fly out Sunday, Wednesday CL, fly home, play a Sunday match.

Flight from Madrid to Moscow is 2,140 miles
Flight form Madrid to NYC 3,588

Wouldn't be a HUGE difference in terms of travel and logistics but the revenue would be well worth it. You have to imagine a team like Benfica, Napoli, Porto or Moscow would LOVE to get a portion of that.

Obviously the USA is an example, you can imagine Qatar or other wealthy middle eastern nations would likely want a piece of the action too.
I've often read that the English managers find the Russian venue matches to be the absolute hardest on their rosters from a fatigue standpoint, so adding another 50% to the flight time is rather huge.

I've often read that the English managers find the Russian venue matches to be the absolute hardest on their rosters from a fatigue standpoint, so adding another 50% to the flight time is rather huge.
Owners overrule managers though. Money talks in football.

Reactions: Goodfella
Did CFG ever mention starting up an NWSL franchise as part of NYCFC?

It's been rumoured that they want to for a while, but CFG aren't really in the habit of actually telegraphing their actions - they like them all to be a surprise so that they can be unveiled with a press fanfare.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Did CFG ever mention starting up an NWSL franchise as part of NYCFC?

I think Sheikh Mansour mentioned recently that they were interested in the idea, but it was at a forum where they were talking about what they'd like to do in the future generally.

Owners overrule managers though. Money talks in football.
No team - management, owners or otherwise - will want to risk giving up home field advantage, unless ...

Only way I can see it is for a game where there is really no doubt of the outcome. E.g., Barcelona vs Ludogorets.

I have no idea what a Ludogoret is, but I'm willing to bet on Barcelona in that match no matter where it's played. So both teams know the outcome is a given. The match play is a formality. Take the Barcelona home leg and put it in the US. Barcelona doesn't lose much because it's just one more game for their fans. Ludogorets are thrilled to make extra coin. Barcelona blows them away either way.

OTOH, chances of Barca vs PSG or similar - as they say in soccer - nil.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Ulrich
Horrible idea. I think Dundee are going to play their "Home" game against Celtic in the US or it's at least been spoken of that would be bad enough but CL? The only way I want to see this is happen is when they finally develop warp portals between USA and Europe and have a Global Champions league and we're playing in it!!:D

Reactions: Ulrich
I'm more confused as to why it's being played in December? The Italian Super cup is their version of the Charity Shield and it's been played outside of Italy before. In fact I attended the 2003 version at Giant's stadium between the same two teams. The French version has also been outside of France in recent years. Even though these games award trophies they are more or less glorified preseason friendlies so I don't have a huge problem with outsourcing these it's actual league matches where it becomes an issue for me.

I'm more confused as to why it's being played in December? The Italian Super cup is their version of the Charity Shield and it's been played outside of Italy before. In fact I attended the 2003 version at Giant's stadium between the same two teams. The French version has also been outside of France in recent years. Even though these games award trophies they are more or less glorified preseason friendlies so I don't have a huge problem with outsourcing these it's actual league matches where it becomes an issue for me.
They are also always played at a neutral location, right?

And in NYC in Barcelona news, I have acquired tix to Barca vs Sporting on March 1 at the Camp Nou. I don't love FCB the way I love NYCFC, but should be a cool experience.

And since I'm taking a client, work is paying. They are getting off easy with the Euro where it is.