City Football Group - Financials & Acquisitions

Well, this is interesting. It may be "idle musings." But it's not the most implausible scenario, either.

Jim Curtain did say MLS may be the top league by 2026, so this is the obvious move!

Jim Curtain did say MLS may be the top league by 2026, so this is the obvious move!

did he really say that? that's quite a statement ...

i don't doubt MLS will be a top league in the future... but 3 years from now is pretty ambitious. lol.

I think 10-15 years would be more accurate plausible.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers
did he really say that? that's quite a statement ...

i don't doubt MLS will be a top league in the future... but 3 years from now is pretty ambitious. lol.

I think 10-15 years would be more accurate.
He kind of walked it back a little afterward. I think the last thing I saw Curtin say about it was "I meant one of the top leagues" or something like that. And he may have extended the timeline by a few years.

No doubt the league is being ambitious, though. Personally, I think a more realistic goal (I've said this before) is the top league in the Americas by the end of the decade. Which arguably would put MLS just outside the Big Five.

After that, who knows.

He kind of walked it back a little afterward. I think the last thing I saw Curtin say about it was "I meant one of the top leagues" or something like that. And he may have extended the timeline by a few years.

No doubt the league is being ambitious, though. Personally, I think a more realistic goal (I've said this before) is the top league in the Americas by the end of the decade. Which arguably would put MLS just outside the Big Five.

After that, who knows.

MLS will never break into the big 5 in terms of talent until the salary system is able to compete with the big 5 on the global market for players and even coaches.

but yea, i think as far as being the top league in the americas for sending talent to europe, i think it can totally get there by the end of the decade.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
MLS will never break into the big 5 in terms of talent until the salary system is able to compete with the big 5 on the global market for players and even coaches.

but yea, i think as far as being the top league in the americas for sending talent to europe, i think it can totally get there by the end of the decade.
The financial disparity is pretty striking. I just looked it up and Neymar's transfer fee (the highest so far) was €222 million. When the time comes, Mbappe's will probably be in the neighborhood of €300 million. The latest MLS franchise fee paid by St. Louis was $200 million.

So, yeah. There's a way to go.

Oh, and yeah, I gotta stock up on that AC Milan gear while I'm in the Bronx. Big sales for that I'm sure. Ha
I presume those won't be available at NYCFC games, but yeah, I'd be surprised if they sell more than $2-3k annually.
I remember back before Yankee-Man City partnership in NYCFC, maybe 5-10 years earlier, the Yankees entered into a deal with Man United. Same idea: two global sports brands combining their fans in a quest for non-existent synergy.

I presume those won't be available at NYCFC games, but yeah, I'd be surprised if they sell more than $2-3k annually.
I remember back before Yankee-Man City partnership in NYCFC, maybe 5-10 years earlier, the Yankees entered into a deal with Man United. Same idea: two global sports brands combining their fans in a quest for non-existent synergy.
Ooh. I’d love it if they left some AC Milan gear in one of the smaller Yankee shops up on the rack during an NYCFC match and a CFG bigwig happened to be browsing.

Here we go

Last edited:
Reactions: Shwafta and Kjbert
I'm surprised the accusation happened, but I think it'll be nothing more than a publicity stunt and won't do anything.

Reactions: Kjbert