College Football

Do you think Georgia still makes the playoff?
Almost certainly, though I think they were exposed, and beat up on the weaker half (East) of the SEC.
But if Michigan holds it’s them, Georgia, Alabama, and Cincinnatti. If Michigan folds, either Baylor or Notre Dame slides in.

Almost certainly, though I think they were exposed, and beat up on the weaker half (East) of the SEC.
But if Michigan holds it’s them, Georgia, Alabama, and Cincinnatti. If Michigan folds, either Baylor or Notre Dame slides in.
I was torn. I wanted Michigan to lose so Notre Dame might slide into the playoffs, but at the same time I didnt want any hope after we just got Veiera'd.

I started this thread to post a Coach Mike Leach video about zombies which is no longer available.
Coach Leach died yesterday from a massive heart attack suffered over the weekend. He was just 61. There are a million amazing and amusing Leach videos. I leave you this one from 2018 where he discussed which PAC-12 mascot would win a Battle Royale:

Leach was a brilliant coach. He invented the Air Raid offense, which ended up influencing almost every college and NFL offensive system. That's not an exaggeration. Many high schools also use it. Pat Mahomes played Air Raid at Texas Tech after Leach left that school, and Mahomes and the Chiefs run it still.
RIP coach.

I started this thread to post a Coach Mike Leach video about zombies which is no longer available.
Coach Leach died yesterday from a massive heart attack suffered over the weekend. He was just 61. There are a million amazing and amusing Leach videos. I leave you this one from 2018 where he discussed which PAC-12 mascot would win a Battle Royale:

Leach was a brilliant coach. He invented the Air Raid offense, which ended up influencing almost every college and NFL offensive system. That's not an exaggeration. Many high schools also use it. Pat Mahomes played Air Raid at Texas Tech after Leach left that school, and Mahomes and the Chiefs run it still.
RIP coach.
My alma mater (Mississippi State). I'm in shock.

Bet.
With Michigan in the CFB playoff there are a few ways left to bet on them this year and I have a question. First up is the Alabama game and that's simple enough.
But you can bet on them (or any of the other 3 teams) left to win the whole thing.

Sample Fanduel odds
Michigan to win the natty +200
Michigan to win over Washington +550
Michigan to win over Texas +410

So I can bet $100 on Michigan to win and clear $200 if it pays. Or, I can split my $100 bet, put $50 on Michigan to beat Washington and $50 to win over Texas, and if Michigan wins the title I clear either $205 or $275.
Am I missing something? The split bet pays off more no matter what. That doesn't seem right, but I won't pass it up.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Bet.
With Michigan in the CFB playoff there are a few ways left to bet on them this year and I have a question. First up is the Alabama game and that's simple enough.
But you can bet on them (or any of the other 3 teams) left to win the whole thing.

Sample Fanduel odds
Michigan to win the natty +200
Michigan to win over Washington +550
Michigan to win over Texas +410

So I can bet $100 on Michigan to win and clear $200 if it pays. Or, I can split my $100 bet, put $50 on Michigan to beat Washington and $50 to win over Texas, and if Michigan wins the title I clear either $205 or $275.
Am I missing something? The split bet pays off more no matter what. That doesn't seem right, but I won't pass it up.

You have found a fault in the system - which can happen with futures before books correct lines - and would want to make the wager now if that is truly your preference. However, generally, wagering on futures once a playoff starts is generally a losing money proposition when compared to wagering game by game.

If you wager $200 on Michigan to beat Alabama, the payout would be ~ $367 (current moneyline is -120).

You could then wager that $367 on Michigan to beat either Texas or Washington. Lines have not been finalized, but we could expect Michigan to be favored by roughly -4.5 to -6.5 which would equate to a moneyline between -210 to -275. Let's estimate -250. A $367 wager at -250 would pay ~ $514 ($314 profit). Even with slight changes in figures, the earn is much higher than the future wager.

The above presupposes you would have the commitment to "let it ride" but even if you hedged and wagered only the $167 profit from the first bet, you would earn ~ $234 from the second bet, resulting in a total of $434 ($234 profit).

Finally, you could also play the spread which is minimal in the Michigan/Alabama game to increase return for a bit of a risk.

The overall lesson is do not bet futures once playoffs have begun. Bet them only before a playoff field is set since you add value through the eliminated and non-qualifying teams, even if it is small (e.g., the Indiana Hoosiers preseason).

You have found a fault in the system - which can happen with futures before books correct lines - and would want to make the wager now if that is truly your preference. However, generally, wagering on futures once a playoff starts is generally a losing money proposition when compared to wagering game by game.

If you wager $200 on Michigan to beat Alabama, the payout would be ~ $367 (current moneyline is -120).

You could then wager that $367 on Michigan to beat either Texas or Washington. Lines have not been finalized, but we could expect Michigan to be favored by roughly -4.5 to -6.5 which would equate to a moneyline between -210 to -275. Let's estimate -250. A $367 wager at -250 would pay ~ $514 ($314 profit). Even with slight changes in figures, the earn is much higher than the future wager.

The above presupposes you would have the commitment to "let it ride" but even if you hedged and wagered only the $167 profit from the first bet, you would earn ~ $234 from the second bet, resulting in a total of $434 ($234 profit).

Finally, you could also play the spread which is minimal in the Michigan/Alabama game to increase return for a bit of a risk.

The overall lesson is do not bet futures once playoffs have begun. Bet them only before a playoff field is set since you add value through the eliminated and non-qualifying teams, even if it is small (e.g., the Indiana Hoosiers preseason).
Thanks. That helps. I did place the split futures bet, especially because a few other books I checked don't have this quirk. Their Mich/Tx lines are +360 or +370. FanDuel is an outlier And I plan to bet the Alabama game, and if Michigan wins, maybe add a bet to the Final. But I'm waiting to see if the Rose Bowl lines shift more towards Bama.
I've bet every game since "Bet" became a rallying cry (Penn St, Maryland, OSU and Iowa), and I'm up $480 (helped by a deposit match offer), so I have some fun money to play with.

How ya feeling today mgarbowski mgarbowski ?
Like this:

IMG_3095.jpg

Also I'm retiring from sports betting after 11 bets, money, spread and parlay, all on the same team, and never losing.
Bet.

Today is a GREAT fucking day.
Losing to Michigan broke him. He couldn’t handle an opponent who [checks notes] — huddled in a football game.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JCMore