COVID-19 - Leagues Suspended

The study that Cuomo was announcing today regarding antibodies is still pretty small in nature, and while those numbers could be real, there's a very real chance it isn't real. I think it's only like 5,000 people that have been tested in a clinical, random study. It's possible that it's 25%, but let's not act like that's a firm number.

This is where I’m at. Your probably need to test like 100,000 people all across the city to get a better sense.

Reactions: Ulrich
What is this in reference to?
Not sure what happened to the rest of my post, must have refreshed or something on a bad connection.
Honestly don't remember the whole point, but theoretically we should have a lower death rate than the above countries, all else being equal, simply because of the younger population.
Btw, I was shocked that we are the youngest of the bunch.

Reactions: Kjbert
ProPublica article so not one in it for the clicks. Written by an investigative journalist who focuses on healthcare for a living and has already written multiple articles on Covid, asympomatic carriers, and testing. Wrote extensively about Ebola and sars - this is her jam. Has direct contacts to scientists all over the country. Worth reading - but the TLDR is that the antibody tests are just showing who’s had it, NYC is nowhere near herd immunity levels, and Covid is 5x deadlier than the flu so it’s not business as usual if a potential ~450,000 Covid deaths take place over a year without social distancing and lockdowns.

Good article.

This is where I’m at. Your probably need to test like 100,000 people all across the city to get a better sense.
5,000 people is actually a pretty good number. Yes, 100,000 will get you more accuracy, but it's not going to change the general sense of the results. You might find out the city is at 23% instead of 25%, but you aren't going to suddenly discover you were really at 7%. Statistical math is pretty clear on this.

171 of 177 showed no symptoms. Such a scary virus (no sarcasm). Many of us could have it and not even know it and then I go have dinner with my grandpa and he gets it.

171 of 177 showed no symptoms. Such a scary virus (no sarcasm). Many of us could have it and not even know it and then I go have dinner with my grandpa and he gets it.
Yeah, it’s really scary. Also why I haven’t seen my parents in two months - although fortunately it got my family out of an extended family Seder. Not sure when I’ll see them again, both are older, with underlying conditions, and they’re being good about staying homebound - not worth it for me to screw that up with a visit.

If you have HBO or HBO GO or HBO Now, watch the latest episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. They do an entire show of how COVID-19 is impacting sport, from the spread of the disease, to how sports companies are helping, to broadcasting.

Reactions: Vallos and Kjbert
5,000 people is actually a pretty good number. Yes, 100,000 will get you more accuracy, but it's not going to change the general sense of the results. You might find out the city is at 23% instead of 25%, but you aren't going to suddenly discover you were really at 7%. Statistical math is pretty clear on this.

You’re a doctor so I will defer to you if you feel strongly about this. My concern is that 5,000 tests makes it difficult to be representative. Too many neighborhoods. Too many bus and subway lines. Too many white collar folks. Too many too manys is my point.

If I was a betting man, I bet 50% if New Yorkers will have had it by July. And most won’t know.

Regarding immunity...from my very limited understanding, when you deal with a virus, your body fights it off. If your body is successful, it creates antibodies. These antibodies give you some semblance of immunity. It’s the nature of any virus.

I’m sure that’s. Very simplified explanation.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
You’re a doctor so I will defer to you if you feel strongly about this. My concern is that 5,000 tests makes it difficult to be representative. Too many neighborhoods. Too many bus and subway lines. Too many white collar folks. Too many too manys is my point.
Thanks. It’s actually my wife who is the doctor. I am a lawyer, although I also have an MBA and did a concentration in stats.* That was a long time ago, and while I can’t exactly recall the formula, I remember how shockingly few people a survey needs to include to get a good representation of a population. You are correct that picking a random cohort is key and not always easy, but this was done pretty well and 5,000 is already a lot more than the 500 or fewer you need for statistical significance.

* - Relevant to current events, the guy who taught the advanced stats class had done a lot of the early modeling around AIDS, and the students prevailed upon him to do a class on epidemiology. He basically walked us through calculating R0. It was pretty basic, but also very interesting.

If you have HBO or HBO GO or HBO Now, watch the latest episode of Real Sports with Bryant Gumble. They do an entire show of how COVID-19 is impacting sport, from the spread of the disease, to how sports companies are helping, to broadcasting.

It was good, although I felt the first story about the games continuing in early March was pretty unfair and a cheap shot. No one in positions of power handled this well until after the NBA stopped. There is absolutely no way the Tigres game should have gone on, but it did and no one on this message board even raised an eyebrow even though the disease was running roughshod through NYC. Leagues were taking their cues from politicians, and the vast majority of politicians did nothing until March 12.

It was good, although I felt the first story about the games continuing in early March was pretty unfair and a cheap shot. No one in positions of power handled this well until after the NBA stopped. There is absolutely no way the Tigres game should have gone on, but it did and no one on this message board even raised an eyebrow even though the disease was running roughshod through NYC. Leagues were taking their cues from politicians, and the vast majority of politicians did nothing until March 12.
That’s not true.

A lot of us expected the match to be played because MLS/Concacaf wouldn’t want to cancel last minute, and the next day the league would announce a full suspension. And that’s exactly what happened. Making a fuss on the board wasn’t going to change anything, but there were many that announced they weren’t going out of safety concerns.

While it was tongue-in-cheek because the team would never do it, I commented that the walk-in gift at the match should be a single-use hazmat suits.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
That’s not true.

A lot of us expected the match to be played because MLS/Concacaf wouldn’t want to cancel last minute, and the next day the league would announce a full suspension. And that’s exactly what happened. Making a fuss on the board wasn’t going to change anything, but there were many that announced they weren’t going out of safety concerns.

While it was tongue-in-cheek because the team would never do it, I commented that the walk-in gift at the match should be a single-use hazmat suits.

You're right, that was the wrong way to put it. I think we expected they'd have to play without fans. Maybe the better way to put it was that we didn't expect all the leagues to completely stop their competitions.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
You're right, that was the wrong way to put it. I think we expected they'd have to play without fans. Maybe the better way to put it was that we didn't expect all the leagues to completely stop their competitions.
Even without fans, it’d have been a challenge..... learning to play defense while social distancing - basically everybody would watch videos of Mata defending Aful in the box as “How To” instruction. Games would be super high scoring.

Anyone able to see the flyover today? Luckily with where we are, we had a great view of them coming down the river.

(Also, I understand that there's a lot of discussion on whether or not this was good money spent. I am not looking to get into that at all, just looking to comment on how cool it was to see. Those two should definitely be mutually exclusive.)
I saw it and was very impressed. The kids were really excited, and it made a big difference in their day.
From Rainey Park, in Astoria/Long Island City. I have a full 4K version of this but it wouldn't let me upload the larger versions to the board.

View attachment flyover.mov

From Rainey Park, in Astoria/Long Island City. I have a full 4K version of this but it wouldn't let me upload the larger versions to the board.
Your best bet is to upload to Youtube or Vimeo. Then just post the link here and it embeds but doesn't overload forum servers..