DC Postmatch

My daughters have already constructed a complete mythology, ceremonies and culinary requirements for the annual celebration of Frank Lampard Day.

Happy Frank Lampard Day everyone!!!!!!
If we weren't friends in real life, this would make me crazy.

Eta: and that's to say nothing of Lampard. Although, I still haven't quite figured out how he played a pretty poor game and scored 2. Typical, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: FootyLovin
It's always better watching under the lights...

I don't want to talk about the bad. How the referee didn't make some calls for us and how he did make some soft calls for DC. How Bravo should have marked his man better on that depression enduring equalizer for DC. And for the love of god, I don't want to talk about Saunders.

I want to talk about how amazing and crazy of a night that was tonight.

It started off with the announcer using Super as the adjective before announcing Frank Lampard in the starting 11 introductions. I groaned. By the end of the night, he deserves an adjective greater than Super. Heroic. Legendary.

During the pregame runs on the sideline, I congratulated Brillant on his kid. He gave me a wink.

Before the game started, I asked Khiry how he likes his new dog. In the words of Sean Connery, Khiry Shelton: "YOU'RE THE MAN NOW, DAWG!"

RJ Allen was made RB again in the second half. #MakeRJRightBackAgain

I got a high five from Villa before the match. Shoutout to roxfontaine who I said hello to at halftime. I had some fun with the sideline referee as always. I have the perception of being the hothead in the pitch side section and yelling at the refs. Hey, if I don't do it, Patrick Vieira will and get suspended.

But the highlight of the match and of the year (so far): After the 2nd Lampard goal, everyone was going nuts. Vieira walked far down the touchline and I extended my hands towards him as he walked back. He slammed his hand for a high five. WOOHOO!

A coworker of mine told me she was going to the match tonight. She's a DC native. I need some suggestions of what to leave on her desk tomorrow. I'm thinking a printout of a meme or some sorts. Ideas?

Last edited:
Villa and Lampard didn't quit. At the end of the game we were playing a back 3 which worked. Harrison and Shelton played as wing backs kind of. They didn't play defense until the end either of them. Mena was very good as a LCB in the back 3. He was bad as a RB. Allen is incredibly different as a RB or RWB. Night and day.

Brillant was solid. Chanot was very good. A lot faster than I thought. Pirlo was ok. Dropped some beautiful balls in. Iraola didn't have it tonight. Thought Tommy Mac was fine but a change was needed. Harrison was mostly invisible but put in a decent shift.

Villa is special. Frank knows where to be. Shelton has bought in. Major improvement from March to tonight.

Mendoza changed the game when he was moved centrally. He played off of Villa's shoulder for a decent stretch at the end of the game. It's funny - he has all the qualities of a winger - but he's not comfortable there. Much better playing centrally as a striker or withdrawn.

I liked what Bravo did to kill the game off. He makes some bad passes still but he was fantastic in the air. PV had him chasing on defense like Mikey Lopez would. Bravo has something. I hope he puts it all together.

Man of the match? I guess Lampard.

Saunders. Woof.

I don't want to talk about the bad. How the referee didn't make some calls for us and how he did make some soft calls for DC. How Bravo should have marked his man better on that depression enduring equalizer for DC. And for the love of god, I don't want to talk about Saunders.

I want to talk about how amazing and crazy of a night that was tonight.

It started off with the announcer using Super as the adjective before announcing Frank Lampard in the starting 11 introductions. I groaned. By the end of the night, he deserves an adjective greater than Super. Heroic. Legendary.

During the pregame runs on the sideline, I congratulated Brillant on his kid. He gave me a wink.

Before the game started, I asked Khiry how he likes his new dog. In the words of Sean Connery, Khiry Shelton: "YOU'RE THE MAN NOW, DAWG!"

RJ Allen was made RB again in the second half. #MakeRJRightBackAgain

I got a high five from Villa before the match. Shoutout to roxfontaine who I said hello to at halftime. I had some fun with the sideline referee as always. I have the perception of being the hothead in the pitch side section and yelling at the refs. Hey, if I don't do it, Patrick Vieira will and get suspended.

But the highlight of the match and of the year (so far): After the 2nd Lampard goal, everyone was going nuts. Vieira walked far down the touchline and I extended my hands towards him as he walked back. He slammed his hand for a high five. WOOHOO!

A coworker of mine told me she was going to the match tonight. She's a DC native. I need some suggestions of what to leave on her desk tomorrow. I'm thinking a printout of a meme or some sorts. Ideas?
Is she hot?

Sports are fun.

The crowd tonight -- especially for the final 15 minutes -- was absolutely electric. The Stadium was ROCKING once Villa tied it up, and it was totally up for grabs those last few minutes. NYCFC has already become one of the best sports fan experiences in the city, probably only topped by Rangers games. It's that good. So much for Yankee Stadium being a crappy place to watch soccer. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good.

The entire crowd was clapping along to "Come on New York" for almost the entire last 15 minutes. That's one of the few chants that gets completely around the park. Really sounded like the entire crowd was in it. Can't say enough for the atmosphere tonight -- that was my fifth game I've attended, and easily the loudest I've heard it. Not even close.

Brilliant night. The Bronx is rocking. Go City.

A note that says: suck it up and go destroy the metro stars next week?

Reactions: Ulrich and Majik
Why the hell does this team do this to me? I was completely down in the dumps from Sunday's shit show and hoping for some real joy today but was deeper in the mire by 45 and then roller coastered around by the next 50 minutes of ecstasy and agony and ecstasy. FFS. I need some stability here people!!!!

Better this than the Columbus game.

Reactions: Hobo
Just watched on tape (had to take one for the family tonight and I guess this is my karmic reward for staying home). That was the kind of match that top clubs manage to win. Leadership and clinical finishes from Villa and Lamps, refusal to quit from Mendoza, Jack and Khiry (and the crowd), and a maintenance of composure replacing the panic we have grown accustomed to. There is no reason this team can't go all the way.

While not everyone plays well every time, and I'd like one more quality defender, the raw material is there. It just depends who decides to show up on what day. Vieira did a great job tonight. We may well look back at this match as the launchpad or turning point for some very good times.

Villa and Lampard didn't quit. At the end of the game we were playing a back 3 which worked. Harrison and Shelton played as wing backs kind of. They didn't play defense until the end either of them. Mena was very good as a LCB in the back 3. He was bad as a RB. Allen is incredibly different as a RB or RWB. Night and day.

Brillant was solid. Chanot was very good. A lot faster than I thought. Pirlo was ok. Dropped some beautiful balls in. Iraola didn't have it tonight. Thought Tommy Mac was fine but a change was needed. Harrison was mostly invisible but put in a decent shift.

Villa is special. Frank knows where to be. Shelton has bought in. Major improvement from March to tonight.

Mendoza changed the game when he was moved centrally. He played off of Villa's shoulder for a decent stretch at the end of the game. It's funny - he has all the qualities of a winger - but he's not comfortable there. Much better playing centrally as a striker or withdrawn.

I liked what Bravo did to kill the game off. He makes some bad passes still but he was fantastic in the air. PV had him chasing on defense like Mikey Lopez would. Bravo has something. I hope he puts it all together.

Man of the match? I guess Lampard.

Saunders. Woof.
Agree with almost everything you said except for Bravo being fantastic in the air. If I'm not mistaken he was the one who got killed by Neagle on that header that equalized at 2-2. That just can't happen.

Great to see Shelton make the most of his minutes. Hope he is able to have that kind of performance on a more consistent basis going forward.

Agree with almost everything you said except for Bravo being fantastic in the air. If I'm not mistaken he was the one who got killed by Neagle on that header that equalized at 2-2. That just can't happen.

Yup, it was Bravo who got beaten badly on the DCU equalizer. For all we are woofing it up about Lampard's sick game winning goal, that equalizer cannot happen. It's the fourth time that NYCFC has dropped an equalizer in stoppage time.

Man up and clear the corner kick.

Just finished watching again (yup, my kid woke me up at 530 am to watch) and I didn't notice last night that Khiry put the pressure on Michu causing him to make that awful back pass, so we can give the kid a contribution on all three goals. That would be huge if Khiry can be a productive option down the stretch.