DC Postmatch

Fine. So adam adam and I can take credit for being so vocal that he's driven to score specifically to prove us idiots.

You're welcome, NYC fans! Now, why wont this work with Saunders?

I think the difference was Frank was a skilled player who was underperforming and then pissed off, bringing out the competitor in him to prove all the doubters wrong. Saunders on other hand is devoid of skill, so pissing him off does not help him access his potential. He's tapped out.

Pirlo's overall game was very good last night.

The cooler air will take Frank & Andrea to another level come playoff time. We saw their stamina increase last night and it will continue to be a big boost for us the rest of the way.
That's Because my andrea went home to his valentina. omg that woman!!

Reactions: NickA
It definitely was a unique experience for me watching the game last night on the couch next to a sleeping newborn and baby nurse, unable to celebrate with any volume, which resulted in some pretty embarrassing silent dancing and gesticulating during the last 15 minutes. I will never forget it though.

I couldn't resist substituting a team shirt for the usual suit at the office today. Fun stuff.

Maybe I am being too pedantic here, but there was one thing that really bothered me. DCU did a lot of long throw ins last night, and it was a good tactic for them. One even led to the corner that created their 2nd goal. Every single time, the DC player had his foot on the line - it was a foul throw EVERY SINGLE TIME. I know the refs typically don't call it unless it is egregious, which is usually fine. But isn't the time to call it when the player is trying to execute a difficult throw and not just something routine?
I noticed that too! I sit in 214A behind the goal and on one throw half his foot was over the line!!!

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
My wife and I took one of her coworkers to the game, Englishman & fan of not only Arsenal (so he's big fan of PV) but also an original shareholder of AFC Wimbledon. He was obviously a bit bored in the 1st half but also immediately picked up on a lot of the stuff we've hashed out continuously:
  1. No orbiting movement on the backline depending on the shift of the ball
  2. Poor keeper positioning
  3. Keeper looks scared with the ball and holds it too long
  4. Couldn't figure out the constant passing around the back when we obviously don't have the players that can do it - if no open pass he wanted to see a more direct ball
He enjoyed the first half for what it was once I explained the salaries the players get- he was surprised at first when I told him min salary of $65k with avg bet $100-200k because he thought that was per week and not for the year. Once he learned it was the year, he was content saying "what else should/could you expect?"

But his three comments in the second half were what left me doubled over laughing:

1. (Warmup comment) "your little forward (Mendoza) is really fast and not very bright - he has no clue what to do with the ball"
  2. "Well look at that, your defenders don't seem to trust you GK anymore" (as Mena started to repeatedly dribble out of problems rather than pass back)
  3. "I bet your keeper will cost you about 6-10 points this year with his "style" of play." I then had to say he's already coughed up 6pts in stoppage time and his retort was "(hearty laugh) why is he still on the team?"
With all that said, he thoroughly enjoyed that match and wants to come back. He especially wants to take in a RB derby - I told him there's utter hate between the two clubs and that excited him. For me, it was a very telling experience to hear how a born/bred EPL fan saw our team/league for the first time. Understanding the salaries was important, and once that was in context he could appreciate it fully. And it didn't hurt that Lampard provided the fireworks for a thriller.

It was interesting that on the first Lampard goal, Villa was tripped in the box less than a second before Lampard scored. Imagine the official instantaneously whistled the penalty, negating Lampard's goal (although Villa is money on PKs)? I think that the unwritten (or written?) rule regarding playing an advantage on a penalty kick deserving foul is that the official wait a couple of seconds to see whether a goal is scored. Never researched it though.

It was interesting that on the first Lampard goal, Villa was tripped in the box less than a second before Lampard scored. Imagine the official instantaneously whistled the penalty, negating Lampard's goal (although Villa is money on PKs)? I think that the unwritten (or written?) rule regarding playing an advantage on a penalty kick deserving foul is that the official wait a couple of seconds to see whether a goal is scored. Never researched it though.
Position Paper: Advantage and the Penalty Area
Apr 11, 2008

CHICAGO (April 14, 2008) - Special circumstances govern the application of advantage for offenses committed by defenders inside their own penalty area. Although the basic concept of advantage remains the same, the specific decision by the referee must be governed by both the close proximity to the goal and the likelihood of scoring from the penalty kick restart if play is stopped instead of applying advantage.

The basic elements of the decision are straightforward:

• Advantage is a team concept and thus the referee must be aware not only of the fouled player's ability to continue his or her attack but also of the ability of any of the player's teammates to continue the attack themselves.
  • Advantage has been applied when the decision is made, not when the advantage signal is given. The signal itself may often be delayed for 2-3 seconds while the referee evaluates the advantage situation to determine if it will continue.
  • Where it does not continue, the Laws of the Game provide for the referee to stop play for the original foul.
  • If the original foul involved violence, the referee is advised not to apply advantage unless there is an immediate chance of scoring a goal.
Inside the penalty area, the competitive tension is much greater and the referee is called upon to make quicker decisions. The time during which the referee looks for advantage to continue becomes defined by the probability of scoring a goal directly following the foul or from the subsequent play.

In the attached clip of an incident occurring in the 27th minute of a match on April 9 between New England and Kansas City. NE defender #31 (Nyassi) fouls KC attacker #11 (Morsink) near the top of the penalty area. Just as Morsink is fouled, however, he passes the ball to his teammate #19 (Sealy).

The referee properly recognized the advantage but then whistled for the foul against Morsink after he decided that a goal would not be scored by Sealy. In fact, Sealy made a shot on goal just as the whistle sounded and the ball failed to enter the net.

• In the absence of a whistle stopping play and if the ball had entered the net, the advantage would clearly have continued and the goal would be counted.
  • If, in this case, the ball had entered the goal after the whistle had sounded, the goal could not be counted.
  • Ideally, the referee in this incident should have delayed stopping play for the original foul until he saw more concretely what Sealy would have been able to do with the ball.
In this incident, the penalty kick for the original foul was successful.

No longer an F before the F (from this a.m.):

14117761_1052747331505091_981869988666168804_n.jpg

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
Before getting into any technical analysis, complaints, etc., an acknowledgement that that was serious fun. Just a great fan experience, complete with ups and downs, and ending on the ultimate high. And, as has been noted, the atmosphere was fantastic even in a stadium that does a horrible job of holding noise. Maybe the best I've seen at YS in the past two years. So keyed up for the playoffs!

On to the game:

- In the last few matches, PV has really fallen in love with pushing the LB way up the pitch and having TMac pinch in. In the first half it was so extreme that there were several times where TM was actually to the right of center while Allen was way up high along the forwards. This generated some of the better offensive opportunities we had in a rather drab first 45, though nothing that came to fruition. However, it burnt us badly on the DC goal. After Mena turns the ball over, TM is on the right and Allen is so far out of the play that he doesn't even come into the picture until very late. Credit to DC for moving the ball to the open space and Sam for a good finish. Chanot also seemed to be defending that play like a CB in a normal system and was a little late to realize that he had no LB coverage. So, in short, this is a high risk system, and when it is Allen rather than Matarrita on the left, I'm not sure it is worth it because he doesn't bring as much offensive potential since he's playing on the wrong side. I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't one question about this in the post-match press conference.

- At the same time, if you watch the nice shot that TM had from just outside the box in the first half, you can also see Allen making an overlapping run. The defender largely stays with TM, but I noticed a slight shift in his weight where he considers whether the ball is going to go to RJ. Stuff like that creates the inches that TM needs to get that shot off. I do love my overlapping fullbacks.

- I tweeted out that Khiry deserved credit for the last two goals. On watching the replay, he was also pressuring Mishu when he made the horrible back pass that Villa jumped on for the first goal. Talk about impacting a game after a fairly anonymous season with a few prior bright spots sprinkled in.

- Mendoza has his limitations, but he injected huge energy yesterday and I liked him centrally. He is always going to be limited because he doesn't have the awareness to make good decisions in traffic the way a good No. 10 would. But, he made important contributions in terms of getting the ball forward after a very pedestrian first half for the team where we lacked penetration other than via Allen crosses. I've tempered my expectation for Mendoza relative to where I was early in the year, but he has the ability to induce some chaos, which, in a league like MLS where defensive mistakes are such a big part of the game, is very valuable skill.

- Not sure if others see it this way and history certainly won't remember it this way, but I thought Lampard was dreadful for the first 80 minutes. His first touch was brutal and his passing was erratic. And then he comes up with two great goals in the end, with the second one being particularly fantastic. I'll take that trade, but if they had lost this game 1-0, he would have been high on my list of goats even though I'm pretty positive on his play generally this year even apart from the goals.

Not sure if others see it this way and history certainly won't remember it this way, but I thought Lampard was dreadful for the first 80 minutes. His first touch was brutal and his passing was erratic. And then he comes up with two great goals in the end, with the second one being particularly fantastic. I'll take that trade, but if they had lost this game 1-0, he would have been high on my list of goats even though I'm pretty positive on his play generally this year even apart from the goals.

The whole team was pretty meh in the first 80. It was reminiscent of the Galaxy game, only difference was we were losing 1-nil this time instead of being ahead. The last 10' were an entirely different story.