DC Postmatch

Loved that Three man back line with mena-brillant and Chanot. Adding matarrita and harrison to the midfield could be just what we need to keep possession better and get through midfield with some momentum.

-----Villa---Lampard---Mendoza-----
-Matarrita----------------------Harrison---
---------Pirlo--------iraola----------------
Mena------Brillant---------Chanot---
-----------lol-----------------------

I thought the subs were weird, mcnamara was playing very centrally in the first half, thought he was effective. Iraola is the key to Pirlo, and he should never be off the field. Shelton look like a different player. Aggressive, decisive, good for him.

Throughout the game it seemed as if we had players making unmarked runs into the box with a dangerous ball served through, only to be just missed or shanked. It was hard to tell why we didn't capitalize on what looked like several opportunities for sitters within the 6 (I can think of 6 or 7 instances), and whether it was poorly played balls, poorly timed runs, or a disconnect between players. Notwithstanding the overall poor play for most of the game (including this), we could/should have connected on a few of those on a better day.

Reactions: Kjbert
Loved that Three man back line with mena-brillant and Chanot. Adding matarrita and harrison to the midfield could be just what we need to keep possession better and get through midfield with some momentum.

I thought the subs were weird, mcnamara was playing very centrally in the first half, thought he was effective. Iraola is the key to Pirlo, and he should never be off the field. Shelton look like a different player. Aggressive, decisive, good for him.
I like this. But I love Mendoza's energy against a tired team. I'd rather move TMac over to RW or go TMac-Villa-Lamp across the top. Then bring Mendoza and/or Shelton during the second half as needed.

I liked Lampard pushed up a lot at CF! He showed bursts of real speed crashing the box from that position. I really think his body may not function well in our humid summer thus reducing him to lumbering around in the midfield - should be eyeopening if he gets a spring back in his step this Fall! And he's a bigger body for the CBs to mark than a posting-up Villa - totally changes the way they have to scheme us!

I noticed that too! I sit in 214A behind the goal and on one throw half his foot was over the line!!!
Totally legal. Here's the rule:

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
- face the field of play
- have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
- throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play​

So you can be outside the touchline or on it, doesn't matter. As long as some part of each foot is touching the line you're good.

And thanks for Schwallacus for the link to the rules.

Totally legal. Here's the rule:

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower must:
- face the field of play
- have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline
- throw the ball with both hands from behind and over the head from the point where it left the field of play​

So you can be outside the touchline or on it, doesn't matter. As long as some part of each foot is touching the line you're good.

And thanks for Schwallacus for the link to the rules.
And yet, it'd be nice if the refs more often enforced part II when players lift the trailing foot! That is painful to see committed at this level

Before getting into any technical analysis, complaints, etc., an acknowledgement that that was serious fun. Just a great fan experience, complete with ups and downs, and ending on the ultimate high. And, as has been noted, the atmosphere was fantastic even in a stadium that does a horrible job of holding noise. Maybe the best I've seen at YS in the past two years. So keyed up for the playoffs!

On to the game:

- In the last few matches, PV has really fallen in love with pushing the LB way up the pitch and having TMac pinch in. In the first half it was so extreme that there were several times where TM was actually to the right of center while Allen was way up high along the forwards. This generated some of the better offensive opportunities we had in a rather drab first 45, though nothing that came to fruition. However, it burnt us badly on the DC goal. After Mena turns the ball over, TM is on the right and Allen is so far out of the play that he doesn't even come into the picture until very late. Credit to DC for moving the ball to the open space and Sam for a good finish. Chanot also seemed to be defending that play like a CB in a normal system and was a little late to realize that he had no LB coverage. So, in short, this is a high risk system, and when it is Allen rather than Matarrita on the left, I'm not sure it is worth it because he doesn't bring as much offensive potential since he's playing on the wrong side. I was pretty disappointed that there wasn't one question about this in the post-match press conference.

- At the same time, if you watch the nice shot that TM had from just outside the box in the first half, you can also see Allen making an overlapping run. The defender largely stays with TM, but I noticed a slight shift in his weight where he considers whether the ball is going to go to RJ. Stuff like that creates the inches that TM needs to get that shot off. I do love my overlapping fullbacks.

- I tweeted out that Khiry deserved credit for the last two goals. On watching the replay, he was also pressuring Mishu when he made the horrible back pass that Villa jumped on for the first goal. Talk about impacting a game after a fairly anonymous season with a few prior bright spots sprinkled in.

- Mendoza has his limitations, but he injected huge energy yesterday and I liked him centrally. He is always going to be limited because he doesn't have the awareness to make good decisions in traffic the way a good No. 10 would. But, he made important contributions in terms of getting the ball forward after a very pedestrian first half for the team where we lacked penetration other than via Allen crosses. I've tempered my expectation for Mendoza relative to where I was early in the year, but he has the ability to induce some chaos, which, in a league like MLS where defensive mistakes are such a big part of the game, is very valuable skill.

- Not sure if others see it this way and history certainly won't remember it this way, but I thought Lampard was dreadful for the first 80 minutes. His first touch was brutal and his passing was erratic. And then he comes up with two great goals in the end, with the second one being particularly fantastic. I'll take that trade, but if they had lost this game 1-0, he would have been high on my list of goats even though I'm pretty positive on his play generally this year even apart from the goals.
Good analysis. And you're right about Frank, but you failed to mention the cross he didn't finish simply because he missed it. I mentioned it in another post, but it's insane how he not only does nothing, he is a huge net negative and then scores goals. So long as Iraola can keep up for him, I'll take it.

Last edited:
No longer an F before the F (from this a.m.):

14117761_1052747331505091_981869988666168804_n.jpg
Lampard having a house at the Hamptons (or is it Montauk?) ponders the question of whether his wife is slowly coming around to NYC living? A fancy beach community 30min away (by 'coptor) has got to be a bit nicer of a perk than she originally thought, right?

Lampard having a house at the Hamptons (or is it Montauk?) ponders the question of whether his wife is slowly coming around to NYC living? A fancy beach community 30min away (by 'coptor) has got to be a bit nicer of a perk than she originally thought, right?

He's probably renting it for the summer. Or maybe using a friend's.

Ps - Villa may get suspended for that elbow he threw
Not his smartest. Hopefully his bad aim means he won't get a suspension.
Hope not. Aguero's out for 3 games for the elbow he threw at Winston Reid during last week's West Ham game. He'll miss the Manchester derby. Ref didn't see it but FA suspended and denied his appeal. He actually connected though

edit photo

sergio_aguero_elbow-large_trans++qVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

If Villa connected, it would have been 3 games easy. Good thing he missed.

Even if it does, we win without him.

I talk with the security guard by my section a lot. He says we're a better team without Villa on the field because the less experienced players their first thought is to set up Villa rather than the best possible option.

After Frank scored his second. He ran over to the corner flag and knocked it off. That was a special flag for the Kick Childhood Cancer campaign MLS has this month.

I'm waiting for some blog to pick this story up and say Frank doesn't support the kids.