Do You Feel Our Crest Is Truly Unique?

I believe what they did is took the one they wanted and put it up against the worst one that the artist produced.

The vote was "legitimate" but disingenuous. It was like voting for which to eat: a ham sandwich or a plate with a dog turd on it. You know which will win, you don't need a vote.

They hyped it up as though a bunch of the fan submissions would be voted on but in the end it was only a selection of two by one artist. Why not three or four selections to vote on? Well, because they can't as effectively control the outcome then.

The speed at which Melbourne City adopted a copy confirmed my suspicions that they planned this.

For the record - I prefered the shield, and voted for it. As I've said in a number of other places, I followed social media extensively for the badge vote, and up until about a day before the winner was picked, I thought the shield was edging the vote in terms of popular support.

Anyway, I'm also going to leave this debate because this is a road I don't really want to go down again.

I think you all should spend more time and energy supporting the club than worrying about anything else really. The kits are ours now. End of story. The badge is ours. End of story. We won't be changing either mid season so let's just accept it and move on. At the end of the season it's one thing to bring it to the clubs attention and do a mass email or petition but right now I'd much rather live in the moment of supporting a new club.

If before we even took the field and unveiled the crest/kit you felt this way I'd say why bother supporting. If it's because it's your team in your city then the rest is irrelevant. And to keep going on about it just makes us look like the most bitter fans in the league.
5+ Sg's
Little to no road support
Constant bitching about the quality of an expansion club with ignorant comments out the ass

But we 'deserve' a rebrand? Yeah I don't think so.
How about we learn to respect what we have in front of us first.

From someone who has watched football his entire life and grew up in a war torn country and didn't even have a national team for a number of years it's a little hard to see people take what we have for granted and demand more on top of that.

Reactions: CP_Scouse and Amon
I really like our crest. It's modern but still very original and classy. The whole subway-token-story with the 5 borough, the NYC in the middle with a true touch of America and the orange outlining. It's great!
To be honest I had never seen the Melbourne crest before. And sure it has simularities with our crest, which kinda bothers me. But we all know the story about how we are here today, with the ownership. And I'm sure that if the City Football Group invest money in a club, let's say..in Brazil. That club would probably have simularities to our crest aswell.
I just don't wanna see NYCFC become one of many clubs following a certain pattern och structure with the branding..like our rivals in Jersey with their whole RB-thing.

The kits this season are pretty good. But I really hope that we'll get a more unique homeshirt next season. More darker blue on the shirt and some orange in it.
EXACTLY!

Redbull overdoes it with the Red Bull branding on their teams. The logo is everywhere. The crest, the front of the jersey, big letters with the brand name on the back, logo on the socks too....like jesus. And its a big gaudy ugly logo too, that never really fit into the subtlety of football badges. Thank god CFG didnt overdo the NYCFC marketing.

We have a nice professional badge, a kit thats not too busy with colors or design, and merchandise that isnt in your face with branding (you know, the way Energy Drink SC is so in your face) Red Bulls in your face branding is like the stuff you see in Latin America with huge logos everywhere. I much prefer the European model of a professional badge, and a simple sponsor logo in one spot on the chest.

I think you all should spend more time and energy supporting the club than worrying about anything else really. The kits are ours now. End of story. The badge is ours. End of story. We won't be changing either mid season so let's just accept it and move on. At the end of the season it's one thing to bring it to the clubs attention and do a mass email or petition but right now I'd much rather live in the moment of supporting a new club.

If before we even took the field and unveiled the crest/kit you felt this way I'd say why bother supporting. If it's because it's your team in your city then the rest is irrelevant. And to keep going on about it just makes us look like the most bitter fans in the league.
5+ Sg's
Little to no road support
Constant bitching about the quality of an expansion club with ignorant comments out the ass

But we 'deserve' a rebrand? Yeah I don't think so.
How about we learn to respect what we have in front of us first.

From someone who has watched football his entire life and grew up in a war torn country and didn't even have a national team for a number of years it's a little hard to see people take what we have for granted and demand more on top of that.
A few weeks ago you're criticizing folks for giving up on the team, now you're telling folks to give up on the team.

A few weeks ago you're criticizing folks for giving up on the team, now you're telling folks to give up on the team.
Eh I'm telling people to accept it and 'move on' from the constant bashing of this and that.
I could give two shits what you do. However it's the same old tired shit of people bitching about this or that. I don't know if I just have a different mentality than others but I can't bring myself to openly hate and despise something as much as some of you show yourself to on here yet still support. It's unreal. I'm truly dumbfounded at times. The lampard shit. The jersey shit. Now the crest. People bitching about Kreis. Either you've never watched football or supported a club before or you're truly never going to be content with what this club does.

What I meant about not supporting is if you felt this way from the start then why bother. People make that excuse for Not supporting RBNY since they're a 'clone' but it was pretty clear as of jersey reveal that we are as well in a way. And at that point it would of been a good time to say goodbye.

For the record - I prefered the shield, and voted for it. As I've said in a number of other places, I followed social media extensively for the badge vote, and up until about a day before the winner was picked, I thought the shield was edging the vote in terms of popular support.

Anyway, I'm also going to leave this debate because this is a road I don't really want to go down again.
Really?

What did you see the day of the unveiling that changed your mind because the day of the unveiling you said this:

March 20th, 2014:
The circular badge has seemed so overwhelmingly popular on social media that I really can't see past it winning.
Edit: Found this on twitter:

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/tonights-badge-unveiling.11/

Maybe being disingenuous is just a Manchester thing.

Eh I'm telling people to accept it and 'move on' from the constant bashing of this and that.
I could give two shits what you do. However it's the same old tired shit of people bitching about this or that. I don't know if I just have a different mentality than others but I can't bring myself to openly hate and despise something as much as some of you show yourself to on here yet still support. It's unreal. I'm truly dumbfounded at times. The lampard shit. The jersey shit. Now the crest. People bitching about Kreis. Either you've never watched football or supported a club before or you're truly never going to be content with what this club does.

What I meant about not supporting is if you felt this way from the start then why bother. People make that excuse for Not supporting RBNY since they're a 'clone' but it was pretty clear as of jersey reveal that we are as well in a way. And at that point it would of been a good time to say goodbye.
I know I'm an outsider looking in but I agree with all that it seems this forum has a hardcore of about ,6 people that just want to critise everything about nycfc or failing that they just get off on being controversial 24/7 .

I know I'm an outsider looking in but I agree with all that it seems this forum has a hardcore of about ,6 people that just want to critise everything about nycfc or failing that they just get off on being controversial 24/7 .
I'm seriously thinking red bull trolls.

Well it is the internet so it's built for bitching. It'll drive you crazy if you let it. I don't care if it's sports, music, TV, comics whatever I like no faster to start not liking other people who like the same stuff I do than reading an internet forum lol.

The thing with the uniforms. Tons of teams other than Manchester City wear sky blue shirts. Napoli, Lazio, Celta vigo etc. they look rather nice so I can't see going nuts over it. Juventus took their shirt straight from Notts county, Atletico Madrid from Athletic Bilbao , West Ham from Aston Villa and in at least two of those cases the team went on to be bigger than the original source of their shirts and barely anyone remembers where they came from at this point. I don't want to do a rebrand like where Redbull (not just the energy drink thing) went from white and black, to red and black , to Red and white. Or Colorado went from Green , to black and blue inter style to what is it maroon now? I think that's just bad news for establishing ourselves the sky blue is out there regardless of where it came from changing the colors would feel like a pointless restart to me.

Reactions: Paul and Amon

Youre not American. Thats the difference here. You grew up elsewhere.

Americans, especially people from big historic cities like NY, Chicago, etc...are very particular about our city culture and the culture of our sports teams. If we were a smaller city with less sporting heritage, people wouldnt complain as much. There's also the arab ownership angle too. Ive heard a few fans of both MCFC and NYCFC complain about that. Americans are still pretty cautious about arabs...especially when you consider the kind of culture and lack of human rights we see in the UAE (home nation of our owners)

I think most NYCFC fans would be happy so long as our home kit changes color next year and has light blue be less prominent. Let it be a secondary color instead of primary.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I'm seriously thinking red bull trolls.
You must not know NY sports culture if you think "trolls" are the only ones to criticize a team. Turn on sports radio or read a sports blog daily. You'll hear a ton of b!tching from NY sports fans. Fans in NYC expect a lot from their teams...especially with the money some of these teams asks for tickets...and also with the history of winning for certain teams (Giants, Yankees)

Youll go to a smaller market in the USA and players and management wont get bashed the way they will here in NY. Fans bash the players and ownership over the silliest things at times. I remember when Mets 2nd basemen Daniel Murphy took his full paternity leave to support his wife giving birth...and he got bashed for it by radio hosts and even a few fans because they expected him to miss only 1 day of work.

Yes, bashed for missing meaningless games at the beginning of a super long baseball season. I couldnt imagine him getting bashed for that in a Midwest city. And I definitely couldnt imagine it in Europe...since Europe has totally different cultural views and employment laws regarding maternity and paternity leave.

You must not know NY sports culture if you think "trolls" are the only ones to criticize a team. Turn on sports radio or read a sports blog daily. You'll hear a ton of b!tching from NY sports fans. Fans in NYC expect a lot from their teams...especially with the money some of these teams asks for tickets...and also with the history of winning for certain teams (Giants, Yankees)

Youll go to a smaller market in the USA and players and management wont get bashed the way they will here in NY. Fans bash the players and ownership over the silliest things at times. I remember when Mets 2nd basemen Daniel Murphy took his full paternity leave to support his wife giving birth...and he got bashed for it by radio hosts and even a few fans because they expected him to miss only 1 day of work.

Yes, bashed for missing meaningless games at the beginning of a super long baseball season. I couldnt imagine him getting bashed for that in a Midwest city. And I definitely couldnt imagine it in Europe...since Europe has totally different cultural views and employment laws regarding maternity and paternity leave.
So how did this go from me saying it's annoying to continue and bitch about kits/badge/etc mid season to you generalizing 'Arabs' ...

Sorry but most of the supporters I affiliate myself with who grew up here (bbsc for example) care more about growing this fan base and culture and less about what color shirt we play in. That's all I'm saying.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Last edited:
So how did this go from me saying it's annoying to continue and bitch about kits/badge/etc mid season to you generalizing 'Arabs' ...

Sorry but most of the supporters I affiliate myself with who grew up here (bbsc for example) care more about growing this fan base and culture and less about what color shirt we play in. That's all I'm saying.
Im talking about American views of sports and ownership. How is pointing out those facts mean Im generalizing Arabs? Also, you should look up some things on culture in the UAE. It isnt free and pretty like the West. Im not generalizing when I say there are human rights problems in the UAE. Those are facts backed up by the UN and international human rights organizations. The reason I even bring this up is because Ive heard a few fans say "Im not so sure I like who we have as owners. Seems kinda sketchy"

I brought up our Arab ownership because I have heard NYCFC and MCFC fans complain about it in the past. Also, all I ever hear from Man City haters is bashing about their "Arab money" or how they have Emirate "sugar daddies". I heard enough complaints from fans and bashers that I took notice to it. You do know American culture is still a good bit more standoffish towards the Arab world compared to Europe dont you?

You cannot talk about American sporting culture, without getting into American culture in general. And yes, for Americans colors matter a lot. Especially in NYC. Dont try to tell born and bred NYers what they shouldnt care about.

Theres a good reason why so many NY teams use Dark Blue and/or Orange for colors. Take a look at our city flag.

Last edited:
Im talking about American views of sports and ownership. How is pointing out those facts mean Im generalizing Arabs? Also, you should look up some things on culture in the UAE. It isnt free and pretty like the West. Im not generalizing when I say there are human rights problems in the UAE. Those are facts backed up by the UN and international human rights organizations. The reason I even bring this up is because Ive heard a few fans say "Im not so sure I like who we have as owners. Seems kinda sketchy"

I brought up our Arab ownership because I have heard NYCFC and MCFC fans complain about it in the past. Also, all I ever hear from Man City haters is bashing about their "Arab money" or how they have Emirate "sugar daddies". I heard enough complaints from fans and bashers that I took notice to it. You do know American culture is still a good bit more standoffish towards the Arab world compared to Europe dont you?

You cannot talk about American sporting culture, without getting into American culture in general. And yes, for Americans colors matter a lot. Especially in NYC. Dont try to tell born and bred NYers what they shouldnt care about.

Theres a good reason why so many NY teams use Dark Blue and/or Orange for colors. Take a look at our city flag.
I take it you don't go to games. There's 4 sections of the stadium proudly chanting New York is Blue and White.
I don't see our colors changing. I think most supporters have adopted them. The main gripe is that the jerseys are similar. Not the colors.

I take it you don't go to games. There's 4 sections of the stadium proudly chanting New York is Blue and White.
I don't see our colors changing. I think most supporters have adopted them. The main gripe is that the jerseys are similar. Not the colors.
Blue yes. White yes. Both are colors on our city flag. Light blue? I doubt it will always be our color. I dont see the team always being light blue. Our crest leaves enough room for the team to adopt a darker blue and use more orange in the future.

Especially if the Yankees arent always part of the ownership. I dont see orange every being prominent with the Yankees as owners because of the Mets. However, I could see Away and 3rd kits showing more of the city's colors even with the Yanks around.

The ownership should be irrelevant to why you do/dont support a team. it should be almost 100% geographical (notice how i said almost 100%).

i dont support the Red Bulls because of the location

i dont support the Cosmos because of the A) Location and 1) the second division concept

Owners don't care about people bitching on forums . As long as the stadium continues to fill up and merch contiues to sell their will be no rebrand. Sorry to any of you who don't like the way things are and get bent out of shape over it and those who are sick of listening it to it but the colors and badge are staying as will be the minority of gripers.