Do You Feel Our Crest Is Truly Unique?

Owners don't care about people bitching on forums . As long as the stadium continues to fill up and merch contiues to sell their will be no rebrand. Sorry to any of you who don't like the way things are and get bent out of shape over it and those who are sick of listening it to it but the colors and badge are staying as will be the minority of gripers.
Like I said. The colors wont be forever light blue. I highly doubt it.

Anyone who knows American sports knows that teams without huge tradition can change colors in an instant.

Also, if people dont want to see some supporters discussing a certain topic, they can walk away and not participate in the discussion. Fans for a team are not a hive-minded monolith within some repetitive echo chamber. Fans will have various points of view on things affecting their team.

Reactions: Amon
The ownership should be irrelevant to why you do/dont support a team. it should be almost 100% geographical (notice how i said almost 100%).

i dont support the Red Bulls because of the location

i dont support the Cosmos because of the A) Location and 1) the second division concept
Tell that the the Manchester United supporters who bailed on the club when the Glazers took over, and created a new one club. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._United_of_Manchester

Also, a couple of supporter groups for Red Bulls teams have created new clubs after Red Bull completely disrespected their heritage by changing the colors and/or name of the club.

So yeah, its not just about location. There's a large number of reasons why a person would support a club. Tradition is a huge part of it...and thats a large part of why there are NYers who kept allegiance to RBNY or chose them as their team even though they had the choice of NYCFC. Does location matter? Sure it can...but heritage, tradition, and culture are very important too.

Talk to some soccer fans living in Brooklyn or Queens. Before NYCFC came around there were some people who were drawn to the NY Cosmos. I grew up in Queens, and if the Cosmos were an MLS club, they would have been my first choice over NYCFC. Why? Because they have the longer tradition of the 3 mens clubs in metro NY right now. I was drawn to that tradition, and for someone who grew up in eastern Queens, Hempstead is easy to get to.

I live upstate now, and itd be a pain to get to a RBNY or Cosmos game. But the reason I dont support RBNY is because the club never grabbed me emotionally. Part of it was location, and part of it was their branding and colors. People underestimate how much branding and colors matter to American sports fans...especially when certain cities like NYC have firmly established team colors across different sports.

Plus some NY soccer fans have been resistant to NYCFC because of the "mini Man City" fears. Sounds silly at first when you consider other Red Bull soccer teams around the world....but the reality is that no Red Bull soccer team is as visible to the world or as popular as Manchester City. So for NY soccer fans, being a RBNY fan might feel more unique and independent to them than being a NYCFC fan under the City Football Group umbrella.

And the reason I didnt latch onto the Cosmos is they are second division, and really never had much outreach to the fans. Its hard to get latched onto a team you never hear much about and dont see a lot. Location is a part of it too, seeing as Im so far away from that area now. But if the Cosmos were in Queens, I could imagine them having a larger following. And an even greater one if they were an MLS team and had the bigger marketing to go with it.

To summarize, location does matter...but so do other things as well. The NFL is the biggest sport in the nation and both NY teams play in New Jersey....but neither have identity or fan issues.

Last edited:

Anyone who knows American sports knows that teams without huge tradition can change colors in an instant.

Also, if people dont want to see some supporters discussing a certain topic, they can walk away and not participate in the discussion. Fans for a team are not a hive-minded monolith within some repetitive echo chamber. Fans will have various points of view on things affecting their team.
The colors won't change as long as CFG wants to maintain a brand amongst all of its clubs. Hence sky blue home kit for every club and then the away is more represented of the club itself

Reactions: Goodfella
The colors won't change as long as CFG wants to maintain a brand amongst all of its clubs. Hence sky blue home kit for every club and then the away is more represented of the club itself
Possibly true. Though call me naive for feeling they may soften on this stance over the years. Its a shame the MLS didnt try what the Australian FA did, and bar CFG from copying light blue from an existing team. MLS could have said "nope...Sporting KC already use those colors." I do like the Melbourne City home kit a lot more than ours.

Oh well.

Yes but my issue is that those of you who passionately feel the colors should change have a tendency to act as if you speak for the entire support. So right back at you as per it not being a hive mind I like the sky blue and don't want it to change and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Possibly true. Though call me naive for feeling they may soften on this stance over the years. Its a shame the MLS didnt try what the Australian FA did, and bar CFG from copying light blue from an existing team. MLS could have said "nope...Sporting KC already use those colors." I do like the Melbourne City home kit a lot more than ours.

Oh well.
Main difference being CFG bought Melbourne team from existing owners, so the league wasn't motivated to bend over backwards for them. Here CFG paid MLS an outrageous expansion fee, which right now is the main way the league makes money. So MLS was never going to tell CFG that certain colors were not allowed.

Reactions: Amon
Main difference being CFG bought Melbourne team from existing owners, so the league wasn't motivated to bend over backwards for them. Here CFG paid MLS an outrageous expansion fee, which right now is the main way the league makes money. So MLS was never going to tell CFG that certain colors were not allowed.
Exactly. Also Melbourne City already had established history as opposed to NYCFC being a completely new team. It's not like NYCFC existed and had history, they are a brand new team with no history whatsoever so City Group had full control of what they wanted the kits to look like. I don't mind the sky blue honestly I know it's NYCFC when I wear it. I'm not invested in the kit or the colors I'm invested in the team. My passion and emotional investment is with the team and its movement.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Tell that the the Manchester United supporters who bailed on the club when the Glazers took over, and created a new one club. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._United_of_Manchester

Also, a couple of supporter groups for Red Bulls teams have created new clubs after Red Bull completely disrespected their heritage by changing the colors and/or name of the club.

So yeah, its not just about location. There's a large number of reasons why a person would support a club. Tradition is a huge part of it...and thats a large part of why there are NYers who kept allegiance to RBNY or chose them as their team even though they had the choice of NYCFC. Does location matter? Sure it can...but heritage, tradition, and culture are very important too.

Talk to some soccer fans living in Brooklyn or Queens. Before NYCFC came around there were some people who were drawn to the NY Cosmos. I grew up in Queens, and if the Cosmos were an MLS club, they would have been my first choice over NYCFC. Why? Because they have the longer tradition of the 3 mens clubs in metro NY right now. I was drawn to that tradition, and for someone who grew up in eastern Queens, Hempstead is easy to get to.

I live upstate now, and itd be a pain to get to a RBNY or Cosmos game. But the reason I dont support RBNY is because the club never grabbed me emotionally. Part of it was location, and part of it was their branding and colors. People underestimate how much branding and colors matter to American sports fans...especially when certain cities like NYC have firmly established team colors across different sports.

Plus some NY soccer fans have been resistant to NYCFC because of the "mini Man City" fears. Sounds silly at first when you consider other Red Bull soccer teams around the world....but the reality is that no Red Bull soccer team is as visible to the world or as popular as Manchester City. So for NY soccer fans, being a RBNY fan might feel more unique and independent to them than being a NYCFC fan under the City Football Group umbrella.

And the reason I didnt latch onto the Cosmos is they are second division, and really never had much outreach to the fans. Its hard to get latched onto a team you never hear much about and dont see a lot. Location is a part of it too, seeing as Im so far away from that area now. But if the Cosmos were in Queens, I could imagine them having a larger following. And an even greater one if they were an MLS team and had the bigger marketing to go with it.

To summarize, location does matter...but so do other things as well. The NFL is the biggest sport in the nation and both NY teams play in New Jersey....but neither have identity or fan issues.
What's this choosing which club to support shit ?
In the UK we get to support what our grandad and dad did !!
As regards the badge its in the same style as Glasgow rangers

You choose because the USA doesnt have generations or century old soccer teams. So when it comes to the MLS, there are only a very very small number of fans who will support a team their older family members supported. The league isnt even 25 years old yet.

When it comes to the NHL, NFL, NBA, and especially the MLB you certainly have family members who pass down their love for a specific team. Baseball is especially known for this because the league is the oldest, and in modern times its less of a possibility for a baseball team to move cities. (not that it cant happen....just that over the last 25 years, we've seen team moves and threats to move a team more often in the other major sports)

Last edited:
I know I'm an outsider looking in but I agree with all that it seems this forum has a hardcore of about ,6 people that just want to critise everything about nycfc or failing that they just get off on being controversial 24/7 .
It's why I rarely come here anymore. Same ridiculous arguments going on and on and on. If you offer any different point of view to anything the few obnoxious posters say you get flamed or their ultimate weapon, the almighty ignore button.

What I thought was going to be a great place for NYCFC supporters to get excited about the team has turned into a nonstop bitter whining few who have taken over the conversation.

Sorry Dan, I know you have the best of intentions and hope this forum can turn into what I'm sure you envisioned when you started.

Reactions: typicalcity
Not related to the crest, but I'd really like it if our new stadium isn't called Etihad Stadium. I know it's going to happen, I just don't want to see it happen.

Not related to the crest, but I'd really like it if our new stadium isn't called Etihad Stadium. I know it's going to happen, I just don't want to see it happen.
it will and we'll play in sky blue, which has grown on me as our kits do stand out against the league. Etihad Stadium, Coca Cola Stadium, Met Life, i really don't care. just fucking build it

Reactions: Z4CH3B99 and Paul

But think if we were in the same position Typical, we're given our team by our family. Don't you ever pick a foreign club to follow just by their name or colours? I like St Pauli basically for their scull and crossbones motif also quite like Fulham as a club because of its location. Some of these lads/lasses will be passing NYCFC down to their offspring just like Europeans in years to come.

I never had this type of experience with my family regarding European clubs. I guess the fact that my Grandma from Italy is my only family member who was born in Europe has something to do with that. I ended up supporting Swansea City because I loved following their rise from the brink of being relegated from professional football to the top league in the world.

I ended up following Atlético Madrid when I gained TV access to La Liga. I liked how they played and eventually I became a fan.

My fandom for Club América is one of those that you mentioned. My other grandparents are from Mexico and they brought me up on America football. I've been to quite a few games in the Azteca as well.

Now onto the crest, regardless of how original the crest is, I think it looks clean and stylish. Exactly how a quality crest/badge should look.

Reactions: Vallos and Amon
Agree.

1. There was no reason for them to pawn off the NYCFC design onto Melbourne. Plus I dont think the inner circles colors work well with the outer circle colors of their badge.

2. Dear god please give us new kits next year. Its unfair that Melbourne was able to escape all that light blue and we werent. Then again, another A-league team already had light blue as a primary color, so the Australian football association wouldnt allow Melbourne to change.

That other team is sydney fc. The club thought it was unfair that in a small team competition there where two teams with similar colour jerseys

Oh well.
Yeh but is different because mls has more teams represented in the competition than the a league has.

So what's the point of this thread? The badge and colors ain't changing anytime soon, folks. I don't see why they would lie about how the badge was created.

At the end of the day, other than the Crew badge, it's the best looking one in MLS.

It's ours. Accept it. Love it. Honor it. Cuddle with it. Let Brad Pitt seal it with a kiss.

So what's the point of this thread? The badge and colors ain't changing anytime soon, folks. I don't see why they would lie about how the badge was created.

At the end of the day, other than the Crew badge, it's the best looking one in MLS.

It's ours. Accept it. Love it. Honor it. Cuddle with it. Let Brad Pitt seal it with a kiss.
The point of this thread is discussion and speculation.

Or are you new to discussion forums and their purpose. If you dislike the topic, you do not have to post here. Thats something I dont understand about posters on different forums I use. Why post in a thread, just to complain about the thread?

As has been discussed by fans in the past, theres a decent reason to question CFG's actions, especially after what happened with Melbourne. And while you say "I dont see why they would lie to us"...there's plenty of reasons why large businesses do lie to customers. They could lie to make fans feel they have input when they really dont. This way they increase fan participation and interest, and decrease any dissent to big business decisions.

The point of this thread is discussion and speculation.

Or are you new to discussion forums and their purpose.

Ohhhh, got it. So that's how it works. Thanks.

As has been discussed by fans in the past, theres a decent reason to question CFG's actions, especially after what happened with Melbourne. And while you say "I dont see why they would lie to us"...there's plenty of reasons why large businesses do lie to customers. They could lie to make fans feel they have input when they really dont. This way they increase fan participation and interest, and decrease any dissent to big business decisions.

Listen, you don't have to tell me that CFG are a bunch of lying scumbags. I know this. But, I don't think they lied when it came to the badge. Is it all fluff that it's based on the subway token? Of course! They had to make a connection somewhere.

CFG is building a brand, and to build a brand there has to be consistency. I personally have no problems with the badges looking similar, and our jersey looking like MCs. They can have that for all I care. As long as they don't fuck around with what they put on the field, that's why the Lampard debacle is such a concern.

People are getting too hung up on us being original and true to NYC. We have no fucking history or tradition. That will develop over a long period of time and eventually we will have it. Right now, we need to start from somewhere, and MCFC is it.

I don't know about any of you but I think NYCFC crest is AWESOME! The light blue jersey is probably one of the better ones in MLS, and I know for a fact the black one is THE BEST in MLS. You don't have any light blue in MLS besides us, can't think of any other team off the top of my head. Overall I think the branding is very good considering the Man City ties. I grew in BK and Staten Island and I honestly do not know what the big deal is with us being owned majority by CFG. I think it is pretty great to be honest. Would we all want a local owner who has deep pockets and cares about our club as much as we do? Of course we would, that is IDEAL with any team but THAT NEVER happens. The next best thing in my opinion is what we have with CFG. Owners, with deep pockets that care about winning. WTF is to complain about?

Reactions: Goodfella