Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Ring. Callens. Chanot. Matarrita. Tinnerholm. Heber. All on TAM.
Mitrita. Maxi. Jesus. All DPs

How are we not spending like other teams? We clearly maxed out our TAM this season. The club is going to cut bait on their recent $4 million transfer.

If you want to say you’re pissed off because they’re not Atlanta, fine. But they also tripled their money on Almirante before they went and got Pity.

But we have spent. I dont think, RELATIVE TO MLS, our budget is small.

I think from that Forbes article we can see some definitive tiers in MLS spending. Depending if the factor in our rent, scouting and whatever else is used to skirt FFP that won't be reflected on other teams balance sheets, we may be closer to middle of the pack in MLS spending than the ATL, LAFC, & TFCs of the league.

Ring. Callens. Chanot. Matarrita. Tinnerholm. Heber. All on TAM.
Mitrita. Maxi. Jesus. All DPs

How are we not spending like other teams? We clearly maxed out our TAM this season. The club is going to cut bait on their recent $4 million transfer.

If you want to say you’re pissed off because they’re not Atlanta, fine. But they also tripled their money on Almirante before they went and got Pity.

The team is spending money. I actually think his "not spending money" thing was a sign he didn't understand the salary cap, or was upset there was a salary cap. He had one of the best rosters in MLS this season, he can't have been upset at the roster. I can understand being upset at how long it took to get a striker last winter, but not at the roster. It was truly one of the best in the league.

Yes. 100% true.

It's not that I'm mad at Glenn, by the way -- he does what he can, I just take his reports with a grain of salt sometimes. I'm just frustrated that he's virtually the only source of news out there. Dylan does a nice job, Ryan Gerbosi is new and hopefully he comes back next year because he's been good. But there's just nowhere near enough people with access actually reporting on this team.
Same. The most important word in my post about Crooks was "only" modifying "full time paid reporter." Crooks does what he can given his position, and my emphasis was clear to anyone with 5th grade reading skills.

Not directed at you ZYanksRule ZYanksRule or dummyrun dummyrun

But we have spent. I dont think, RELATIVE TO MLS, our budget is small.

i think only medina and mitri we spent each one was less than 10M. I think dome means that ATL and LAFC are spending over 10M for a single DP ( barco, pity, rossi) then no we are not spending like the big spenders in MLS, hes talking about transfer fees.

Dome: “we need a striker! Get me Aguero or Suarez! Or at least a $20M transfer value!”
CFG: “um, Dome, we can’t do that. We’ve already used our 3 DP spots.”
Dome: “what does that mean? No big European striker?”
CFG: “No. we have to get someone cheaper. Here’s 10 options we can afford.”
Dome: “who are these guys? This league sucks.”

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
i think only medina and mitri we spent each one was less than 10M. I think dome means that ATL and LAFC are spending over 10M for a single DP ( barco, pity, rossi) then no we are not spending like the big spenders in MLS, hes talking about transfer fees.

Atlanta bought Almiron for $8 million and sold him for $27 million. $19 million profit.

They’ve purchased Barco for $15 million and Pity for $14 million. Net-net, they’re out $10 million on transfer fees.

We’ve spent $8 million on Mitrita, $4 million on Medina, $3 million on Heber. We sold Harrison for $8 million. Net-net were out $7 million on transfer fees. This is before you account for Ring and Chanot and Matarrita and Callens.

We’ve also spent a combined $51 million on Pirlo, Lampard and Villa.

Atlanta bought Almiron for $8 million and sold him for $27 million. $19 million profit.

They’ve purchased Barco for $15 million and Pity for $14 million. Net-net, they’re out $10 million on transfer fees.

We’ve spent $8 million on Mitrita, $4 million on Medina, $3 million on Heber. We sold Harrison for $8 million. Net-net were out $7 million on transfer fees. This is before you account for Ring and Chanot and Matarrita and Callens.

We’ve also spent a combined $51 million on Pirlo, Lampard and Villa.
NYCFC also spent $150M before the team’s first year, but we don’t refer to that as evidence of their current spending.

Pirlo and Lampard are long gone. Dome had half a season of Villa. I never liked the Dome, but his squad did not have the benefit of dropping real coin on the DPs. A transfer is only one part of the value of a player - if Mitri’s salary is under $500K, he does not carry the same cache and skill level of players that have earned salaries multiples higher than that via their results in top leagues.

It’s akin to your company - do you want HR hiring the Harvard kid freshly graduated for $100k to round out your group, a great pedigree but no practical experience, or do you want the 10-20 year veteran with partner experience brought on for multiples higher salary because they can take over a situation with confidence and panache?

What are the chances Dome gets picked for the Bayern job? Sure, he's not even being linked there at all... but he's been there before. Maybe they take a chance on him...

or they go with senile Wenger or the special one.

Reactions: Kjbert

I would wait until it's official, but all signs are pointing to it. So...

PRETTY PINEAPPLE IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE PRETTY PINEAPPLE!
giphy.gif

What are the chances Dome gets picked for the Bayern job? Sure, he's not even being linked there at all... but he's been there before. Maybe they take a chance on him...

or they go with senile Wenger or the special one.
Seems like it'll be Wenger for the rest of the season or just leave Flick in charge until the summer. Dome won't be contacted over it. I don't think Dome goes to a major European club without being an assistant to Pep.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
NYCFC also spent $150M before the team’s first year, but we don’t refer to that as evidence of their current spending.

Pirlo and Lampard are long gone. Dome had half a season of Villa. I never liked the Dome, but his squad did not have the benefit of dropping real coin on the DPs. A transfer is only one part of the value of a player - if Mitri’s salary is under $500K, he does not carry the same cache and skill level of players that have earned salaries multiples higher than that via their results in top leagues.

It’s akin to your company - do you want HR hiring the Harvard kid freshly graduated for $100k to round out your group, a great pedigree but no practical experience, or do you want the 10-20 year veteran with partner experience brought on for multiples higher salary because they can take over a situation with confidence and panache?

My former employee did just this. They paid through the nose for senior executive talent to move to their shiny new trading floor in Stamford. Within 5 years, they were all “retired” and our company was under water.

But it’s still not a good comparison

Ulrich Ulrich why isn’t it fair to compare the first three years of NYCFC spending to the first three years of Atlanta spending?

My former employee did just this. They paid through the nose for senior executive talent to move to their shiny new trading floor in Stamford. Within 5 years, they were all “retired” and our company was under water.

But it’s still not a good comparison
5 years at a company is a lifetime in the modern era, especially in an industry like yours (I assume some form of private equity/hedge fund) where early retirement is always a possibility. Hiring a millennial Harvard graduate definitely doesn’t guarantee company longevity and commitment- to hire them an not expect a jump to another company after 1-2 years is shortsighted, they’re the generation that developed the execution of employment ghosting.

My example was more on point than your anecdote.

Ulrich Ulrich why isn’t it fair to compare the first three years of NYCFC spending to the first three years of Atlanta spending?
You can compare them, but the history of NYCFC spending isn’t significant since they've demonstrated their current state of spending has changed. ATL has shown no inclination to change their budgetary spending, and until they do, they are a whale in MLS.

5 years at a company is a lifetime in the modern era, especially in an industry like yours (I assume some form of private equity/hedge fund) where early retirement is always a possibility. Hiring a millennial Harvard graduate definitely doesn’t guarantee company longevity and commitment- to hire them an not expect a jump to another company after 1-2 years is shortsighted, they’re the generation that developed the execution of employment ghosting.

My example was more on point than your anecdote.

I should have been clearer. By “retired” I meant “fired but with a payout”