Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
You can compare them, but the history of NYCFC spending isn’t significant since they've demonstrated their current state of spending has changed. ATL has shown no inclination to change their budgetary spending, and until they do, they are a whale in MLS.

In 2016, we had committed more money to the project than Atlanta has in the same time period.

You just don’t like how we spent it is all.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
In 2019, Atlanta’s wage bill was $12 million
In 2016, our wage bill was more than $20 million

When you factor in the sale of Almiron and purchase of Pity Martinez, Atlanta United made a slight profit in wage and transfer costs for 2019

5 years at a company is a lifetime in the modern era, especially in an industry like yours (I assume some form of private equity/hedge fund) where early retirement is always a possibility. Hiring a millennial Harvard graduate definitely doesn’t guarantee company longevity and commitment- to hire them an not expect a jump to another company after 1-2 years is shortsighted, they’re the generation that developed the execution of employment ghosting.

My example was more on point than your anecdote.

Not to get political, but that's ridiculous. You know why young people keep bouncing from job to job? Because they're being underpaid and undervalued.

So Dome is still the coach? What, are they waiting until midnight UK time for the intern to drop the announcement that he’s leaving on the Manchester City site?

Reactions: Kjbert
In 2016, we had committed more money to the project than Atlanta has in the same time period.

You just don’t like how we spent it is all.
Not sure anybody is/was happy with how it was spent.

It appears though that ATL is remaining committed and has a better brain trust since they didn’t feel the need to goose attendance with one old guy that wasn’t released as agreed, and another old guy that missed his last service appointment at the garage.

Not sure anybody is/was happy with how it was spent.

It appears though that ATL is remaining committed and has a better brain trust since they didn’t feel the need to goose attendance with one old guy that wasn’t released as agreed, and another old guy that missed his last service appointment at the garage.

Frank Lampard was a more productive player than Pity Martínez was this year and Barco has been since arriving.

Maxi Moralez is better than both of them also.

So what exactly do you want?

Frank Lampard was a more productive player than Pity Martínez was this year and Barco has been since arriving.

Would the players that Atlanta signed 2017 and 2018 give NYCFC the same attendance that Villa, Lampard, and Pirlo did?

You may want to check your stats.

Lampard had 15g/3A over two seasons.

Pity had 9g/5a over one season. And Pity helped deliver the US Open Cup and the Campeones Cup this year. Let’s see what he adds to it next year, but your splitting hairs.

Barco has 8g/5a over two season with another 2A in the CCL, so 8g/7a total

Pirlo had 1g/9a over three seasons.

Villa was the only home run NYCFC landed with their first go at it, and he had 77g/26 over 4 seasons with no hardware earned.

Compare that to Almiron with 21g/28a in two seasons an an MLS Cup championship.

Villa was slightly flashier than Almiron, but hardware is the more important accolade.

And yes, Maxi has better stats than ATL’s current DPs, but he hasn’t delivered a championship of any variety, and his stats are overshadowed by ATL’s non-DP striker Martinez, who’s been instrumental delivering three different championships.

Circling back, that original coin that NYCFC dropped was poorly executed considering the ROI.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Not to get political, but that's ridiculous. You know why young people keep bouncing from job to job? Because they're being underpaid and undervalued.
Not sure how job longevity is political, but ok.

Whatever the reason is for young people to switch jobs so frequently, it’s a black eye towards future employment. I’m going through resumes now in conjunction with my program head, and the first red flag he raises with any of them is the short duration shown in a position. A one-off is defendable for a number of reasons, but a history of it is damning and I do not buy the argument of the only way to a raise is switching jobs. That may be the case after 3-4 years, with glass ceilings achieved in small companies/depts, but constant jumping is not the mark of an employee that wants to make a mark.

Atlanta bought Almiron for $8 million and sold him for $27 million. $19 million profit.

They’ve purchased Barco for $15 million and Pity for $14 million. Net-net, they’re out $10 million on transfer fees.

We’ve spent $8 million on Mitrita, $4 million on Medina, $3 million on Heber. We sold Harrison for $8 million. Net-net were out $7 million on transfer fees. This is before you account for Ring and Chanot and Matarrita and Callens.

We’ve also spent a combined $51 million on Pirlo, Lampard and Villa.

i see what you saying business wise all that makes sense. but again, in the rest of the world you spend to get top player and pay for them thru transfer fees.

Im just assuming here, but when Dome says "spend" he means transfer fees, not salaries. the reason being because in the rest of the world ( where he comes from) no one (outside of the bosses) is keeping track on what the salary is because there is no cap there.

when there are premier league's "biggest spenders" reports they list out teams who spent more on the transfer fees not the salaries.

all the 51M for villa lamprd pirlo he would disregard because thats for salaries.

Dome: “we need a striker! Get me Aguero or Suarez! Or at least a $20M transfer value!”
CFG: “um, Dome, we can’t do that. We’ve already used our 3 DP spots.”
Dome: “what does that mean? No big European striker?”
CFG: “No. we have to get someone cheaper. Here’s 10 options we can afford.”
Dome: “who are these guys? This league sucks.”

I think pretty much its this.

Reactions: adam
Not sure how job longevity is political, but ok.

Whatever the reason is for young people to switch jobs so frequently, it’s a black eye towards future employment. I’m going through resumes now in conjunction with my program head, and the first red flag he raises with any of them is the short duration shown in a position. A one-off is defendable for a number of reasons, but a history of it is damning and I do not buy the argument of the only way to a raise is switching jobs. That may be the case after 3-4 years, with glass ceilings achieved in small companies/depts, but constant jumping is not the mark of an employee that wants to make a mark.
I agree with this. I guess you can still consider me ‘young.’ I think our generation is a now generation. We want instant gratification. I went to college on a 100% scholarship and was also employed full time out of high school. After seeing the benefits and salary opportunity the company had I decided to leave school and within 3 years was in a leadership role. In 3 years I made $20k more than the average college graduate with no education. I was also debt free, had a 8% profit plan and vested 10% in the 401k. I would of been debt free even if I went to school since I had the scholarship but that doesn’t apply to everyone.
I left the company 2 years ago due to relocation and I’m now back and working my way back up again. It’ll take time and dedication but most importantly hard work. In 14 years I’ve worked for 2 companies.The second one that I worked for hired me in a leadership role off the street solely off of my resume consisting of 1 company and multiple leadership roles.
I did hiring as well and I’d also look at work history and length of employment. Ultimately the interview decided it but if someone held 5 jobs in 2 years and I’m hiring for similar work I likely won’t even consider them for an interview. The costs associated with hiring and training aren’t cheap. These are entry level jobs but I’m sure the same can be said for corporate positions.
Anyway a bit off topic and the issue is going to have different points of view which I understand.

Last edited: