Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
So would it be all that bad if say...we hire premier league level manager for two years? Then see the former NYCFC manager go on to lead an elite team?

Would this strategy work better than taking a flyer on a manager at our level who may stick around longer?

Perhaps the MCFC placeholder strategy can be beneficial for us. Dome was after all the runner-up for coach of the year.

So long as they avoid midseason departures, this could be effective.

So would it be all that bad if say...we hire premier league level manager for two years? Then see the former NYCFC manager go on to lead an elite team?

Would this strategy work better than taking a flyer on a manager at our level who may stick around longer?

Perhaps the MCFC placeholder strategy can be beneficial for us. Dome was after all the runner-up for coach of the year.

So long as they avoid midseason departures, this could be effective.

I far prefer hiring a better manager who might leave in 2-3 years over hiring an inferior manager who, unless he gets fired, would stay longer. It's not like we'd be a fringe playoff team because of a new coach, we still have a roster good enough to win. I feel like an Atlanta scenario where they struggled in the first half of the year but took off after Juy, is a likely and acceptable situation.

Also, hiring an inferior manager who doesn't do the job and gets fired does more harm than a good coach who brings in good players leaving after 2-3 years.

I want decisions to be made based solely upon how they benefit NYCFC without any consideration as to how it may benefit another team or affiliate. That’s not happening with manager selection and that would not be happening here. That sucks.
Be careful what you wish for. I want a team that wins playing attractive football. Until MLS is one of the top leagues in the world, and I’m not holding my breath on that, I don’t care whether the coach wants to move up inside an organization or outside it. A top manager in MLS should be in demand elsewhere. It’s a terrible look that we have cycled though two coaches in 18 months, but if GVB wins silverware and leaves after two years, I’m fine with that. DC United fits your criteria and clearly Olson wants to be there. I would rather have three years of PV, Dome and GVB than 8 years of Olson.

Be careful what you wish for. I want a team that wins playing attractive football. Until MLS is one of the top leagues in the world, and I’m not holding my breath on that, I don’t care whether the coach wants to move up inside an organization or outside it. A top manager in MLS should be in demand elsewhere. It’s a terrible look that we have cycled though two coaches in 18 months, but if GVB wins silverware and leaves after two years, I’m fine with that. DC United fits your criteria and clearly Olson wants to be there. I would rather have three years of PV, Dome and GVB than 8 years of Olson.
Dc is a bad analogy. Until DC changed owners & built a stadium, they 100% refused to spend on players. They were cheap as hell. No manager could win with those rosters. Rooney was their first splash

Reason why CFG wouldn't want Reyna back.

But what exactly does Reyna have a lack of a clue about.

Lot of you guys looking to blame “the front office” for lots of shit when you’re really just pissed off about no stadium and the budget the Emiratis put us on.

But what exactly does Reyna have a lack of a clue about.

Lot of you guys looking to blame “the front office” for lots of shit when you’re really just pissed off about no stadium and the budget the Emiratis put us on.
Not to mention our non-dp roster was possibly the best in the league, and it's widely assumed that CFG called the shots with all of our DP signings. Our academy is possibly the best in the league, which Claudio is ultimately in charge of.

If GVB had no relationship with CFG and was hired as our manager after what he did in Holland, all of you angry posters would have a raging erection.
Definitely. But what if it was announced at the time of his hiring that it would under no circumstances be extended beyond a second season. My point is that would only warrant a semi-erection at best. That’s the point (or at least mine).

Definitely. But what if it was announced at the time of his hiring that it would under no circumstances be extended beyond a second season. My point is that would only warrant a semi-erection at best. That’s the point (or at least mine).

Except there's not been an announcement. There's been a report from the National Enquirer of England playing into everyone's insecurities about this job and this team. For all we know it's complete hogwash, and we really shouldn't take it seriously. Worry about it in two years if he does come here. Until then, hopefully he wins something and we're all happy.

Except there's not been an announcement. There's been a report from the National Enquirer of England playing into everyone's insecurities about this job and this team. For all we know it's complete hogwash, and we really shouldn't take it seriously. Worry about it in two years if he does come here. Until then, hopefully he wins something and we're all happy.
My worries are based upon the best evidence in this case, history. See Patrick. See Dome. There is a concrete basis for the insecurities. Based upon what we know, it wouldn’t surprise me if the next hire were another quick stop. I don’t want that. If GVB was being hired with the possibility/likelihood of staying a while, that would be terrific. But I have no tangible reason to believe that.

My worries are based upon the best evidence in this case, history. See Patrick. See Dome. There is a concrete basis for the insecurities. Based upon what we know, it wouldn’t surprise me if the next hire were another quick stop. I don’t want that. If GVB was being hired with the possibility/likelihood of staying a while, that would be terrific. But I have no tangible reason to believe that.
Eales in Atlanta flat out said Tata played out exactly how they expected. Two years, he moves on.

If we hire a solid manager and he wins a cup, he is moving to a higher level in two years. If he struggles he is gone within two years. The only way we keep a manager more than two years is if he is just perfectly competitive enough to not quite get fired or move up, and we are unlikely to stick with that type of manager for any extended period of time anyway. That's where MLS is at.

Bringing in a coach with a higher pedigree than MLS is not easy. If a PL job is on the line, and winning MLS Cup is essentially a requirement for the job, then bring in the City guys!

Note: I've never heard of GvB before this rumor started, so I'm just assuming based on the analysis of others that he is a high level manager, as in someone who could land a gig with a higher level club.

Perhaps a generation from now, after an NYCFC guy like James Sands retires and moves into coaching and has a passion specifically for this club, or MLS rises to top level worldwide, we can keep a solid manager long term. Until then, this club is not built for manager longevity.

Edit: one thing I didn't consider earlier, a manager solely focused on the next step may be less inclined to give attention to academy and other developing players. Dome seemed to care, but not everyone will. That being said, any manager under pressure may sacrifice the future to keep his own career on track, so it will be a challenge to get the right manager.

Last edited:
It's not my preference, but I'm OK with short term hires as a cost of getting better managers. But I'm not OK with the mid-year departure Vieira saddled us with. The problem is I'm not sure how you prevent that. You can talk about it before hiring, and keep open communications, and hope anyone thinking of leaving has the courage and grace PV lacked to give notice before the season starts. But I don't think you can create any sort of contractual provision or mechanism to make it an impossibility.
The mid-season switch killed 2018. I don't just mean the final result (nothing suggests it ends differently than every other year), but it just ruined about 3 months of soccer for us fans with a the most dismal stretch since 2015. I don't think we're likely to see that with off-season switches. Atlanta had a slow first 6 games this year with a new coach but then won 5 straight. There was nothing as prolonged as the Dome midyear transition was last season, and they also had to go without half of their prime duo of Almiron and Martinez, and work in a new star who has had more transition difficulties that anyone reasonably expected.
Also, this is speculation, but I doubt that Domé quits after 1 full season if he didn't have that first extremely sour half year. At least we probably, IMO, get 2 full years from him.

But I don't know how you prevent that for anyone who wants to go to Europe. The job openings will come in late spring and they're going to pay attention and do what they want.

Last edited:
It's not my preference, but I'm OK with short term hires as a cost of getting better managers. But I'm not OK with the mid-year departure Vieira saddled us with. The problem is I'm not sure how you prevent that. You can talk about it before hiring, and keep open communications, and hope anyone thinking of leaving has the courage and grace PV lacked to give notice before the season starts. But I don't think you can create any sort of contractual provision or mechanism to make it an impossibility.
The mid-season switch killed 2018. I don't just mean the final result (nothing suggests it ends differently than every other year), but it just ruined about 3 months of soccer for us fans with a the most dismal stretch since 2015. I don't think we're likely to see that with off-season switches. Atlanta had a slow first 6 games this year with a new coach but then won 5 straight. There was nothing as prolonged as the Dome midyear transition was last season, and they also had to go without half of their prime duo of Almiron and Martinez, and work in a new star who has had more transition difficulties that anyone reasonably expected.
Also, this is speculation, but I doubt that Domé quits after 1 full season if he didn't have that first extremely sour half year. At least we probably, IMO, get 2 full years from him.

But I don't know how you prevent that for anyone who wants to go to Europe. The job openings will come in late spring and they're going to pay attention and do what they want.
Can't prevent it, but you can include a buy-out clause so a fat payment is made when they walk. Basically the same as a transfer fee, but for the coach, and since coaches are hired directly by the club, as opposed to players being owned by the league, the team gets all of the cash money.

It's what's done in college football - school doesn't get in the way of the coach leaving provided the release clause it met, whether paid directly by the coach or the new school - it doesn't really matter except probably for tax reasons.

P
Dc is a bad analogy. Until DC changed owners & built a stadium, they 100% refused to spend on players. They were cheap as hell. No manager could win with those rosters. Rooney was their first splash
No it’s a great counterpoint. The team being an ownership’s #1 priority is no guarantee of success. Shit owners with no resources are worse than our situation.

No it’s a great counterpoint. The team being an ownership’s #1 priority is no guarantee of success. Shit owners with no resources are worse than our situation.
Not really. While Olsen can be critiqued on his wins/losses, he gave stability to a team that had horrible support but still did pretty well with it all things considered. He may not be the most technically advanced coach, and I’d put money on Rooney having introduced Olsen to more advanced EPL/Euro tactics, but he’s a players coach who bleeds DC black/red. Now that their stadium is set, bringing in more revenue, and they supposedly are gonna loosen the purse strings (waiting to see if true), then having Olsen around for so long is anything but a bad thing. There’s something nice about him having been a player on their championship teams while also being a manager of the club.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Please stop complaining about coaches leaving us for better jobs. This is MLS, not the Bundesliga. Guys like Vieiera and Dome weren’t coaching anywhere else in MLS. Same with GVB. Want stability?

Go hire Tab Ramos and Jason Kreis.
I’d be fine with tab ramos. But he’s off the market.

Reactions: Kjbert

Makes me wonder if perhaps Dome knew he wanted a job in Europe and did us the favor that Patrick didn't - leaving in our off-season despite the fact that he might not get hired to a new job until summer.

===

As for an off-season vs. mid-season hire - think back to Patrick taking over in 2016.
  • 7 points in his first 8 games
  • 11 points in his next 7 games
  • 36 points in his last 19 games (most in league over that stretch)

Last edited:
Makes me wonder if perhaps Dome knew he wanted a job in Europe and did us the favor that Patrick didn't - leaving in our off-season despite the fact that he might not get hired to a new job until summer.

===

As for an off-season vs. mid-season hire - think back to Patrick taking over in 2016.
  • 7 points in our first 8 games
  • 11 points in our next 7 games
  • 36 points in our last 19 games (most in league over that stretch)
Any chance you can do a comparison to Dome across the same time/game-frame? First 8, next 7, then next 19??

Reactions: Kjbert