Domènec Torrent Appointed NYCFC Head Coach (June '18) / Mutually Agree to Part Ways (November '19)

What Are Your Thoughts on Torrent as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Really Pleased

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Pleased

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I’m half serious when I say this then, but it seems like there are more recoveries with Dome than PV (or maybe the density of all items makes it difficult to ascertain) so that would suggest playing teams with less technical control if they’re constantly loosing balls not en route to their teammates, right?
This assumes the reason for more recoveries is that the other team gifted NYC with more opportunities. It might be true, but it could also be a higher emphasis by NYC on recognizing and jumping on loose balls. Or some combination. Or just luck.

This assumes the reason for more recoveries is that the other team gifted NYC with more opportunities. It might be true, but it could also be a higher emphasis by NYC on recognizing and jumping on loose balls. Or some combination. Or just luck.
50/50’s are a product of luck and hustle - it’s not really skill. Much like fumble recoveries in football - just right place at right time with maximum effort made, but even with effort it’s all luck.

A team that wins consistently has to win 50/50 balls unless they’re just super efficient in the counterattack even while surrendering possession (like Newcastle was yesterday through 70min).

Reactions: dummyrun
A team that wins consistently has to win 50/50 balls

I don't know what to make of the recoveries stat. I feel like it tells us something about a team's play style—it can't be an accident that Minnesota is more than a full standard deviation above the second-place team in recoveries per game. On the other hand, the middle of that ranking is 10. Orlando City, 11. Atlanta, 12. NYCFC, 13. Chicago, so there's not much correlation with success one way or the other.

That is a completely unrealistic view of being a professional athlete. These guys are working their asses off trying to get better and trying to rescue their form before the playoffs. But they get nights off, just like we do, and they deserve to spend that time however they please. If that means a hockey game or a broadway show, they should do whatever they want in their time off from work.
Yeah just to reiterate my initial point, if a team is sliding in performance I don’t want to see them posting pictures on social media of them relaxing and going out and do anything other than preparing for wins. I don’t care if they do those things, I agree that it’s important for them to rest and relax. I just don’t want to see it. If our team has a chance of dropping to 6th place, I don’t want to see our guys out partying in Miami or having dinner in nyc. Have your R&R just don’t advertise it. And I stand by the fact that it’s been more prominent since torrent has taken over.

Yeah just to reiterate my initial point, if a team is sliding in performance I don’t want to see them posting pictures on social media of them relaxing and going out and do anything other than preparing for wins. I don’t care if they do those things, I agree that it’s important for them to rest and relax. I just don’t want to see it. If our team has a chance of dropping to 6th place, I don’t want to see our guys out partying in Miami or having dinner in nyc. Have your R&R just don’t advertise it. And I stand by the fact that it’s been more prominent since torrent has taken over.
Can they take pictures of it but not post it?

Should they also direct their significant others not to do so?

I just don't see any quality play from him whenever he is in the pitch.
He just looks like an old guy who stands there to fill the space or chill in the pitch.
I really don't understand why he can even play in the top team.
Just all about negatives.

Please give me some ideas and thoughts to change my perspective.

I just get more agitated as I see him in the pitch...

Dome was a bad manager before joining Pep as his entourage, and he’s a bad manager now. The guy is literally Pep’s Turtle or Johnny Drama and has no business being in charge of this club. He’s tied to an aging never-been Spanish league player and has blacklisted a kid that rescued multiple points for him. He’s taken a team from 2nd in the league standings to potentially 5th in the conference if we lose next week.

Was never a fan of of him being appointed, and CFG needs to realize their mistake. He’s got to go.

Reactions: canchon and The Toe
Jeez LionNYC LionNYC .... don’t merge my post from a newly created #DomeOUT thread into this one. This thread was about him being appointed - the new one is/was about him needing to be sacked. Different threads completely, until you deleted it.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Jeez LionNYC LionNYC .... don’t merge my post from a newly created #DomeOUT thread into this one. This thread was about him being appointed - the new one is/was about him needing to be sacked. Different threads completely, until you deleted it.

We've talked about him being sacked in here. That's why I merged it. We talked about sacking Kreis in the Kreis appointment thread. We've talked about Vieira leaving in the Vieira appointment thread.

Don't be mad at me. Be mad at the manager who can't figure about out.

There's a reason he wasn't a head coach other than in the Spanish 4th? division before NYC. I can't imagine that anyone is happy with his tenure so far in the front office after seeing what the team is capable of under Vieira. When we talk about CFG identity, playstyle, etc., he's even tossed that in the trash and is playing this squad with high school tactics. Seeing how long they let him dig our grave will say a lot about how much we're cared about.

Reactions: canchon and Ulrich
When we talk about CFG identity, playstyle, etc.,
I know I'm on my soapbox again, but a "CFG Playstyle" doesn't exist other than in the broadest, vaguest possible terms (possess the ball, build play from the back).

Manchester City certainly has a very specific style, but Pep's system doesn't work without hyper-elite players who are both capable of executing the concepts and also able to inspire novel use of their skills (see Pep's evolution of the role of the fullback while at Bayern).

When Domé first came in, there were games in which, especially in the second half, we did go for it by pushing up really high and playing basically four to five forwards while Ring ran around as a "free 8". It briefly looked possible. Then it suddenly became impossible to do anything.

I know I'm on my soapbox again, but a "CFG Playstyle" doesn't exist other than in the broadest, vaguest possible terms (possess the ball, build play from the back).

Manchester City certainly has a very specific style, but Pep's system doesn't work without hyper-elite players who are both capable of executing the concepts and also able to inspire novel use of their skills (see Pep's evolution of the role of the fullback while at Bayern).

When Domé first came in, there were games in which, especially in the second half, we did go for it by pushing up really high and playing basically four to five forwards while Ring ran around as a "free 8". It briefly looked possible. Then it suddenly became impossible to do anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

I understand it's the guardian, but to say that CFG doesn't want similar playstyles across its entire group is false. Sure, we're not going to be able to play like Pep's team. Who else can? But CFG is looking for an identity across its teams that match the mothership because of branding, talent-flow, etc. It's all part of the business model to make the network of teams become more profitable for MCFC/Pep/CFG. We didn't even possess the ball in the first 10 minutes of yesterday's game.

From the article:

But an implicit part of Guardiola’s job, away from the merry-go-round of matches and press conferences, is to help engineer something that may ultimately prove more valuable – a recognisable and entertaining playing style across all of CFG’s teams and players. Again, the model comes from Barcelona, where players moved seamlessly from junior teams to the Camp Nou because all had learned the same Cruyff-style soccer. In the CFG model, clubs and academies in a dozen countries should be doing the same – creating a frictionless supply line of players who automatically know how to play Pep-style and can slip in and out of the group’s teams. Soriano says that will allow “a more seamless movement of players”, with the best ending up at City.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/dec/15/manchester-city-football-group-ferran-soriano

I understand it's the guardian, but to say that CFG doesn't want similar playstyles across its entire group is false. Sure, we're not going to be able to play like Pep's team. Who else can? But CFG is looking for an identity across its teams that match the mothership because of branding, talent-flow, etc. It's all part of the business model to make the network of teams become more profitable for MCFC/Pep/CFG. We didn't even possess the ball in the first 10 minutes of yesterday's game.

From the article:

But an implicit part of Guardiola’s job, away from the merry-go-round of matches and press conferences, is to help engineer something that may ultimately prove more valuable – a recognisable and entertaining playing style across all of CFG’s teams and players. Again, the model comes from Barcelona, where players moved seamlessly from junior teams to the Camp Nou because all had learned the same Cruyff-style soccer. In the CFG model, clubs and academies in a dozen countries should be doing the same – creating a frictionless supply line of players who automatically know how to play Pep-style and can slip in and out of the group’s teams. Soriano says that will allow “a more seamless movement of players”, with the best ending up at City.
I don't think this really contradicts Keith Putnam Keith Putnam's point. CFG wants a common playing style. They say it, and I believe they believe it, and I even believe they are trying in good faith to implement it. And I don't think Keith disagreed with that either. But in practice, as Keith noted, it only exists in a broad, vague sense and it's not working. I made the same point a couple of times in the last several weeks and I think it holds. If CFG had successfully implemented a common style, we would not have this utter fiasco of a coaching transition between 2 coaches playing the same system. But it's apparent that Patrick and Dome are not really playing the same system. Dome doesn't even pretend he's playing the same system. He has articulated differences on more than one occasion. And though he might have considered those differences as tweaks, in practice it completely upended the team. It's been part of the discussion here today: PV played one-touch passing. Dome has the team playing more slowly and deliberate. Which one is the system? Based on the Guardian article -- which I have read before, -- and CFG's press talk and all their hype generally, it seems to me that the one-touch passing that PV used is more like Pep-ball than Dome. Which I can't for the life of me make sense of because DOme is Pep's top guy. But since when is Pep about slowing down so the other team can crowd the ball handler, make him pass backwards, and by the time you finally get near the box there are at least 7 defenders planted there?

Red Bulls play a common style across their teams. They replaced Marsch with someone in-house. He made changes, but retained the core elements, and if anything that damn team is even better.
CFG plays a common style across their teams. They replaced Vieira with someone in-house. He made changes, and retained the core elements, and the team went to fucking hell.

CFG might be trying to play a unified system but isn't doing it right.

Last edited:
I don't think this really contradicts Keith Putnam Keith Putnam's point. CFG wants a common playing style. They say it, and I believe they believe it, and I even believe they are trying in good faith to implement it. And I don't think Keith disagreed with that either. But in practice, as Keith noted, it only exists in a broad, vague sense and it's not working. I made the same point a couple of times in the last several weeks and I think it holds. If CFG had successfully implemented a common style, we would not have this utter fiasco of a coaching transition between 2 coaches playing the same system. But it's apparent that Patrick and Dome are not really playing the same system. Dome doesn't even pretend he's playing the same system. He has articulated differences on more than one occasion. And though he might have considered those differences as tweaks, in practice it completely upended the team. It's been part of the discussion here today: PV played one-touch passing. Dome has the team playing more slowly and deliberate. Which one is the system? Based on the Guardian article -- which I have read before, -- and CFG's press talk and all their hype generally, it seems to me that the one-touch passing that PV used is more like Pep-ball than Dome. Which I can't for the life of me make sense of because DOme is Pep's top guy. But since when is Pep about slowing down so the other team can crowd the ball handler, make him pass backwards, and by the time you finally get near the box there are at least 7 defenders planted there?

Red Bulls play a common style across their teams. They replaced Marsch with someone in-house. He made changes, but retained the core elements, and if anything that damn team is even better.
CFG plays a common style across their teams. They replaced Vieira with someone in-house. He made changes, and retained the core elements, and the team went to fucking hell.

CFG might be trying to play a unified system but isn't doing it right.
Nothing to argue with here. It's yet to be seen if CFG is willing to stray from this, but this might be the first real "test" they face in doing so. We know the team can be successful with what you call (and I think 95% of the board would agree with) a playstyle closest to what CFG is envisioning across its clubs in PV's one-touch. I think ownership can live with losses, but I don't think they want their "brand" tainted in the way Dome has -- with unimaginative, wasted possession with stagnant ball movement. Really, it's crazy to believe how far Dome has strayed from the principles you'd think Pep would have cemented in him after all this time.