Euro Sport: Drogba To Seattle Sounders In 2015

I would imagine the DP allotment will increase when the CBA is negotiated, I cant see a long term CBA being agreed to with only 3 DP slots. So maybe the keep Martins too, I hope so, that would be awesome.

Garber yesterday said 3 DPs is here to stay. They want to fill in the other DP slots (I think he said there are 24 more slots available) before considering expansion of DPs.

We will see what happens in the CBA negotiations, Garber isnt calling the shots, he will have to give on some issues we will see how important this is to the players. It may not be important to them but my point is, Garber may have an opinion but it will be something that has to be agreed upon by players and owners

Good post and I understand. But the league is run top down - and not from the Club level. If MLS thinks they are in a better spot with NYCFC having 3 DPs and trying to get a Columbus to start investing more, then that's what will happen. His point was that he believes it is in the league's best interest to see the 24 free DP spots filled up before the Galaxy/TFC/NYCFC crowd get a 4th or 5th.

Does that make sense?

Good post and I understand. But the league is run top down - and not from the Club level. If MLS thinks they are in a better spot with NYCFC having 3 DPs and trying to get a Columbus to start investing more, then that's what will happen. His point was that he believes it is in the league's best interest to see the 24 free DP spots filled up before the Galaxy/TFC/NYCFC crowd get a 4th or 5th.

Does that make sense?
it does make a lot of sense but in my opinion there needs to be a change to the DP salary hit in order for that to happen. Teams build in different ways, using three DP eats 1/3 of the cap, some teams would like to use DP but not at the cost of having only $2M to spend on the rest of the roster. DP cap hit should go down a bit or if the cap goes to say $5M this year then you will see more teams use the DP. Something has to give though. In the current structure using 3 DPs doesnt make a ton of sense in terms of team building. I am hoping for a $5M cap this CBA, leaving $4M for the rest of the roster, at 10% increase after year one and 5% each year after we could end up with a cap around $6-$7M plus DP's leaving an average of about $300K per non DP player. Under this scenario five years down the road we would be just one level below the top leagues and then the following CBA would get us right in line with Bundesliga and Ligue 1. Garbers vision is def possibile by 2022. In order for this to happen MLS players need to make an average of $400K not including DP's, thats a cap of approximately $8-9M, not a crazy thought. I really hope this CBA goes well.

Reactions: Soccerfanatic94
I see what you're saying now. I thought you meant we should immediately move to 4 DPs or have an extra American DP slot. I like your thoughts here. With some of the investors now coming into the League, I hope there is a discussion around an American DP slot. I think that's the way you grow the game with casual fans - the guys who have a late lunch during the World Cup and see Jozy Altidore put a couple in the net.